User Tag List

First 234

Banned
    MBTI
    type

^Nothing's the matter with Kansas, my friend. Go about your business.

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Ever read What's The Matter With Kansas?
    Nope, why would that matter? Is Kansas ever relevant?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I can't take this seriously when there's a fallacy in the first line.

Neither party is doing what is in the best interest of rural and working class Americans.

His thesis is basically that people vote Republican because they're afraid. How surprising.

Your statement does not contradict his. He said that people would be better served by supporting Democratic policies. You said that it is not in their best interest. Better is not the same as best. Given the two choices Democrat is better. Given all possible conceivable choices neither Democrat or Republican is best.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Significant change is exactly what conservatives are fearful of.

(I mean this in the literal sense; the mindset of a conservative is to value the past, the status quo. Significant change is the very opposite of this and the natural reaction to this is fear.)
    You think the current mindset of conservatives is to value the past? I surely don't. Maybe 50 years ago it was, but most conservatives now are quite activist and positivist. They don't want to roll back the state, and they are in favor of things that I would consider quite revolutionary in many ways. A Constitutional amendment defining marriage, for instance, would have been unthinkable two generations ago.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

This is one of the more naive left-wing arguments. For most Americans, voting is not an exercise in class solidarity, nor an opportunity to improve their personal lot via amenable representatives. A charitable view would be that they vote on principle. A less charitable view would be that they like to express their individual social concerns (or phobias) via amenable representatives ready to exploit them. I call that "peacock voting."

And, of course, there is no guarantee than Democrats would better serve working-class economic interests than Republicans would. Depending on the Democrats and Republicans in question, it could be quite the opposite.

I also find his presuppositions ethically repugnant. This is no different than Adorno's discredited crap from 50-60 years ago. Also, his working definition of morality is laughable.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I didn't see anything in that that was an "attack on health." I hate sensationalist headlines with no basis in reality.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Hm. I thought the objections were of the life begins at conception pro-life variety.

I am, myself, pro-life, but if the embryos are no longer wanted for fertility purposes, I think the parents ought to have the option to donate them for research, if they are uncomfortable donating them to other infertile couples, rather than simply destroying them.

I would not be comfortable with the creation of human embryos for the sole purpose of research under most circumstances.
    I don't think you'd be able to avoid people getting pregnant for the sole purpose of embryonic research once they got paid to do it.
    I don't wanna!