User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default 1992 Election and "Third Party"

In the 1992 U.S. Presidential Election, there was a significant third contender. The race was:

George Bush Sr.---Republican, sitting President
    Bill Clinton--------Democrat, sitting Governor
    Ross Perot--------no party, businessman

(If I remember my facts correctly)

Ross Perot received around 15% of the popular vote. This seems to indicate that the public was dissatisfied pretty strongly about something(s). What was it? The recent Persian Gulf War and an economic recession set the atmosphere. But....15 percent? That's pretty rare.

I'm not old enough to remember those political times, so for those of you who are, or are just more informed about recent history:

What happened that drew so many people to a third candidate? What was the political backdrop?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

That was my very first election and I was part of that 15% that voted for Perot.

At the time, i probably thought I was taking a stand for something, but I seriously can't remember what it was. I was involved in a lot of protests about the first Iraq conflict, so I am sure that had something to do with it, but I've done a lot of drugs since then and it's a big blur now.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Perot loved to talk about the deficit.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Perot loved to talk about the deficit.
    Which had grown a lot in the 10 years prior to that, right? (trying not to get "debt" confused with "deficit")
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-06-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: explanation

MBTI
    ESFJ

George H.W. Bush and the Democratic Congress at the time had raised taxes, after he had promised not to do that. The temporary shine he had during and post-Gulf War had faded. Bill Clinton was an exciting young candidate, but most people did not know him until he got into the race in 1991. Perot was a self-made billionaire, and he was concerned about runaway government spending, job loss to other countries, and he seemed like an outsider. I believe actually got closer to 19%, which is pretty amazing. Still, Americans will get on-board with a wealthy, seemingly-viable third party candidate. In 1980 John Anderson (Independent) got 5.7 million votes, and Ed Clark (Libertarian) got 920,000. That's 6.6% and 1.1%, respectively. Michael Bloomberg could have had a big impact on this election, had he chosen to run. It's not impossible.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    George H.W. Bush and the Democratic Congress at the time had raised taxes, after he had promised not to do that.
    How much distrust was there, do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury
    he was concerned about runaway government spending, job loss to other countries, and he seemed like an outsider.
    How big were these issues? Now that you mention it, they mention that loss of jobs in the 1992 debates quite a bit.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    How much distrust was there, do you think?
    Have you never heard about the "read my lips" line? When you blatantly break such an unequivical campaign promise, people tend to hold a grudge.

The Gulf War probably wasn't a factor at all, at one point Bush senior had at least an 89% approval rating as a result of that war.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 11-06-2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: had more to add

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Have you never heard about the "read my lips" line? When you blatantly break such an unequivical campaign promise, people tend to hold a grudge.
    That's my point: was it that big of a deal?

True about the Gulf War, most people viewed it pretty favorably, right? It was fast and decisive, by most measures.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    That's my point: was it that big of a deal?

True about the Gulf War, most people viewed it pretty favorably, right? It was fast and decisive, by most measures.
    Yes, on both counts.

There was also economic difficulties, and the popular perception (likely amplified by unfair media coverage, but that part's just a knee-jerk assumption on my part-I don't remember the coverage) that Bush senior was out of touch with the plight off ordinary Americans, Enter Bill Clinton and his "I feel your pain" rhetoric.
    As Carville said, "Its the economy, stupid".

MBTI
    ESFJ

Part of the problem with the recession was that the War temporarily hid the fact that things were going poorly. Once the combat was over, it was obvious, and the temporary economic uptick disappeared.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"