User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

In the last election (2004), I was hearing alot, at least in Christian discussions, about another third party, the Constitution Party, with their candidate Michael Peroutka. Radical conservative. The premise, of course, is that the Republicans were now just the same as the Democrats, not strong enough on abortion, still favoring large govt. etc. Also, these were "paleoconservatives" who were against the war.
    The scary thing about it, was that the moderates who opposed it in the discussions did so only on the basis that he would not have the chance to be elected, and the votes would be "wasted" and end up going to the Democrats.

Now, it seems the whole steam for that party has fizzled (though he remained a write-in candidate in Georgia for this year), and it was back to "the lesser of two evils" (i.e. McCain and the GOP) for the religious conservatives.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    In the last election (2004), I was hearing alot, at least in Christian discussions, about another third party, the Constitution Party, with their candidate Michael Peroutka. Radical conservative. The premise, of course, is that the Republicans were now just the same as the Democrats, not strong enough on abortion, still favoring large govt. etc. Also, these were "paleoconservatives" who were against the war.
    The scary thing about it, was that the moderates who opposed it in the discussions did so only on the basis that he would not have the chance to be elected, and the votes would be "wasted" and end up going to the Democrats.

Now, it seems the whole steam for that party has fizzled (though he remained a write-in candidate in Georgia for this year), and it was back to "the lesser of two evils" (i.e. McCain and the GOP) for the religious conservatives.
    Michael Peroutka and Chuck Baldwin (this year's Constitution Party candidate) are closer to being true conservatives than are most Republicans. I don't agree with their platform, but it's better than Bush's. Ron Paul actually ended up endorsing Chuck Baldwin over Bob Barr, which was unfortunate, but I can kind of understand it. I am not a paleolibertarian, but some of them are fine people. Some are total creeps.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

I voted for Perot as well. Part of that was the "read my lips" no new taxes issue with Bush Senior. I was also dissatisfied with the Republican administration's conduct of the gulf war, in which I fought. Mostly however, I was tired of both parties and encouraged by Perot's progress. I had been listening to the same Democrat and Republican rhetoric for years and wanted a third choice. In retrospect, I believe Perot clinched Clinton's victory by drawing a sizeable number of votes away from the Republican ticket.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think in most elections you will find a fair group of people that are dissatisfied with both parties. I think just about any billionaire, businessman type could make a decent third party run since they have both the money to get noticed and a reputation for successfully running a big organization. I think if someone like Trump or Bloomberg made a serious third party run they could do at least as well as Perot.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I think in most elections you will find a fair group of people that are dissatisfied with both parties. I think just about any billionaire, businessman type could make a decent third party run since they have both the money to get noticed and a reputation for successfully running a big organization. I think if someone like Trump or Bloomberg made a serious third party run they could do at least as well as Perot.
    As long as you choose the right "message"/platform/attitude at the right time, I guess that's true. There are plenty of U.S. voters who would vote for someone outside the two main parties if they actually seemed to have a chance, I guess.

The 1992 Election specifically holds my interest because it seemed like a less tumultuous time than other large Third Party wedges, like George Wallace, Theodore Roosevelt, or even guys like John Anderson, Eugene Debs, or Robert LaFolette.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-07-2008 at 06:51 AM. Reason: more specific
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

I remember this election but I was just a kid. My dad later told me about it. He said it was Ross Perot's fault that Bill Clinton won that election. Ross was doing quite well, dropped out of the race, and came back into it later on. He no longer had enough support to win outright, and since he was more like a republican than a democrat, he simply split up the republican vote and caused Bush to lose. I wouldn't vote for someone who dropped out and then decided to keep going weeks later. I'd kind of like my president to know what he's doing.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson