User Tag List

First 345

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Claim:

Treating people differently, or assuming psychological traits, based on race, is racist, and strategically unsound if equality is the goal. It only perpetuates itself. Not only in "innocent" arenas, but the most dangerous ones as well.
    This would only be true if everyone were already equal in a socioeconomic sense. If an institution already marginalizes one group, and if no one takes any steps to counter this, then everyone is perpetuating the unhealthy system.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    This would only be true if everyone were already equal in a socioeconomic sense. If an institution already marginalizes one group, and if no one takes any steps to counter this, then everyone is perpetuating the unhealthy system.
    First of all, you can't "counter" marginalization by more marginalization. Secondly, using the power of government to effect social change is dangerous, and it can be tyrannical. It's simply not what we should be doing in a country that believes in rights rather than power, and in which everyone is supposed to be equal before the law.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    SRSLY
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    First of all, you can't "counter" marginalization by more marginalization. Secondly, using the power of government to effect social change is dangerous, and it can be tyrannical. It's simply not what we should be doing in a country that believes in rights rather than power, and in which everyone is supposed to be equal before the law.
    You know... as much as I despise affirmative action, I have to say that it has been largely successful in making the workplace an equal arena for all.

In that limited sense, I think using government power to counter marginalization actually worked.

I also think the time for quotas (where any remain) is probably past.