User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    If a white person voted for McCain just because he was the white guy in the race, he or she would be pilloried, and rightfully so.
    We even had threads about this, with everyone piling on the stupid rednecks.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Something I find amusing (and a bit frustrating) is that I have more in common with Obama than many of the people you're referring to. But that's what you get when people are focused on the superficial.
    People have different priorities. There is no reason why they should care about your commonality when they decide on the importance of their own. They are using a different metric to determine who is most likely to have experienced what they went through.

As for rednecks - they already do what you say, but it isn't due to an abundance and notably different-than-before commonality. McCain has next to nothing in common with the the white redneck demographics.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    As for rednecks - they already do what you say, but it isn't due to an abundance and notably different-than-before commonality. McCain has next to nothing in common with the the white redneck demographics.
    No less than some of the thugs that were celebrating last night have in common with Obama.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    No less than some of the thugs that were celebrating last night have in common with Obama.
    If you say so.

Anyway, perhaps back on the OT...

I'm always amazed at how close the popular vote is. Why is this? I mean, just about anywhere else in the world, Obama would of won by a landslide - probably a 40/60+ divide, with many places voting higher than 75% for him.

Why is it so common to have such a narrow gap? Given the demographic balances, it isn't exactly uniform - you'd think that there would be more sloshing around, greater variation.

Why isn't there?

MBTI
    ESFJ

If you say so.

I'm always amazed at how close the popular vote is. Why is this? I mean, just about anywhere else in the world, Obama would of won by a landslide - probably a 40/60+ divide, with many places voting higher than 75% for him.

Why is it so common to have such a narrow gap? Given the demographic balances, it isn't exactly uniform - you'd think that there would be more sloshing around, greater variation.

Why isn't there?

There are more party-loyal and ideologically-driven people in the USA than people often realize. Since we have two parties that get 95% of the vote, there is usually about 25-30% of the population that would consider either candidate and make the decision during campaign time.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

If you say so.

Why isn't there?
    I think most people decide which party they like when young and stick with that for most of their life. A few stay independent and also a few get fed up with their own party, but most people pick a party early and just stick with that no matter what. That is my take on it anyway.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Because it's something easy to decry. And don't tell me to be quiet. You know in your logical mind what I am talking about; you just don't want to hear it from me. Well, too bad. Is it nice that a half-black man was elected President of the United States? Yes. Is it OK to vote for him simply because he's half-black? Absolutely not, and you know it. If a white person voted for McCain just because he was the white guy in the race, he or she would be pilloried, and rightfully so.

Someone voting for McCain because he's white would have been consciously supporting the status quo of power imbalance, and that would be a malicious choice. While I don't think that voting based on race alone is a good idea, in the case of African Americans voting for Barack Obama, it is not the same thing as a white person voting for McCain because he's white. Barack Obama's election is a step towards correcting a power imbalance, while the election of John McCain (if chosen by race, I mean) would just continue white guy politics as usual.

But while Barack Obama got enormous black support to be sure, he also got significant white and hispanic support. Barack Obama was elected by the people.

But we've been through this, and it's tiresome, and you're never going to agree, so I don't really know why I bother.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Someone voting for McCain because he's white would have been consciously supporting the status quo of power imbalance, and that would be a malicious choice. While I don't think that voting based on race alone is a good idea, in the case of African Americans voting for Barack Obama, it is not the same thing as a white person voting for McCain because he's white. Barack Obama's election is a step towards correcting a power imbalance, while the election of John McCain (if chosen by race, I mean) would just continue white guy politics as usual.

But while Barack Obama got enormous black support to be sure, he also got significant white and hispanic support. Barack Obama was elected by the people.

But we've been through this, and it's tiresome, and you're never going to agree, so I don't really know why I bother.

This is nonsense, and it's demeaning nonsense. You're pretty much saying, "Black people cannot be expected to be held to the same standard as white people."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    enfp

This is nonsense, and it's demeaning nonsense. You're pretty much saying, "Black people cannot be expected to be held to the same standard as white people."
    i think there's more to minority-majority power dynamics than that.

either way, Barack isn't exactly representative of the "black white" struggle of America. He descended from a Kenyan who was never a slave in America. And was pretty much raised by his white side of the family, so he doesn't really have that same slavery legacy that most African Americans do. It really is the saddest thing when you lose your heritage. If you lose it willfully or because it was lost willfully down the line of your ancestors thats one thing, but to lose it unwillfully is pretty sad. Thats one thing that white people don't really have to worry about in Obama, at least those who really fear some sort of "retaliation".

He really is the perfect middle ground for more respect and consideration to go all around without all the anger and shouting that characterized much of the past.