User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: Prop 8

MBTI
    INxJ

Question Prop 8

Who voted Yes, and why? This applies to prop 102 as well.

MBTI
    ESFJ

That sucks. What a bad night of voting overall.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've heard that many of the non-white people who registered to vote for Obama out in CA actually voted for Prop 8, since they still had more traditional values. Socially, they wanted Obama; religiously, they were more conservative.

It's going to get interesting. You know it's going to be challenged in court. People who pushed for Prop 8 might have shot themselves in the feet, if the legal path exists to challenge discrimination, especially because SO many churches were involved (which might be able to be turned into it being a "religious" position).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I've heard that many of the non-white people who registered to vote for Obama out in CA actually voted for Prop 8, since they still had more traditional values. Socially, they wanted Obama; religiously, they were more conservative.
    Yikes, what a bad combo. There are some socially conservative, fiscally liberal hard-hat union types around here in the Philadelphia area, and that combination just makes want to scream. I don't like using the term, but it's quite literally un-American.

MBTI
    INTP

I know one of those is the proposed amendment banning gay marriage, but what's the other one? Also, it might be a good idea to write down the exact wording of each proposition, so that people who do not live in California can give an opinion.

Assuming that it explicitly bans gay marriage, I would have voted against it. I've already given my reasons elsewhere. If it had simply stated that marriage laws are up to the legislature rather than judicial fiat, I would have voted in the affirmative; allowing the judicial branch to determine this issue has wide-ranging and worryingly vague implications for all other issues.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Proposition 8... California (from wiki)

If passed, the amendment would override the ruling in In re Marriage Cases that struck down both the 1977 law and Proposition 22 for being unconstitutional.[24] The Constitution, as amended, would add a new section (Section 7.5) to Article I, placing it between the state Equal Protection clause and nondiscrimination in business and the professions. This new section would read:

Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.[17][25][26]

Proposition 102 ... Arizona (from wiki)

The text of Proposition 102 states:
    Only a union of one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in this state.[1]

As far as I see, it's basically an attempt for one group to lock its beliefs in the Constitution so that no one who disagrees can do anything about it.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    As far as I see, it's basically an attempt for one group to lock its beliefs in the Constitution so that no one who disagrees can do anything about it.
    Yeah, I would vote against those particular amendments.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Get the state out of marriage, seriously.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Get the state out of marriage, seriously.
    I'm not sure why the church is involved in the legalities of the marriage process.
    If the marriages were religious, then churches could marry who they wanted and no one would interfere.
    The legal unions would only involve the legal aspects of a union.

As an aside, doctor-assisted suicide is legal in Washington state, and Colorado readily defeated at an attempt by someone to "define life as beginning at conception." Yikes.

MBTI
    INxJ

This was disappointing for me. I live in Arizona.

I honestly didn't think any of the marriage bans would be passed. All three of them were, the other I didn't include was Florida.