User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Thread: Prop 8

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Yes, because you're all so tolerant of the opposite viewpoint...
    Allow me to elaborate. If you think someone is stupid for holding a particular view, ask them why. If they give you a rational reason, they're not stupid.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Fuck you. My wish is that you slide into the Pacific Ocean leaving nothing but a reading of 28.3 on the richter scale as a reminder of your discontinued existence.

Thank you, that is all.
    Hmm. You would be getting rid of everyone who voted 'no' as well, you know. And also the people who voted 'yes' but had decent reasons and are still acceptable human beings. Do you wish to save them first?

Oh, and you'd also get rid of the vinyards!
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I knew it would pass.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Interesting point regarding Obama, black people, and this prop 8. We had the greatest voter turnout for black people EVER in this election, which means there were more black people voting than ever before. Prop 8 won by a fairly close margin. 70% of black people voted yes on prop 8. So I wonder how great an influence Obama and the black votes he so obviously rallied up had in other voting items.

MBTI
    enfp

just change prop 8 to say "Gay marriage is legal, but won't be taught in adolescent schools"

its not that hard. i mean, i typed it out like 4 times already. my fingers don't hurt.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Common sense now
    I understand what you want. I want to know why you are against it.
    Why not allow a teacher in rural Alabama to discuss the attractive features of Evangelical Christianity with the classroom? After all, its important for the children to learn all about that group in order to understand and think critically about such and such issue and its relation to constitutional rights/definition of equality under the law/etc.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    Like I said, a lot of the prop yes voters do support the legal right of gay marriage. But do not support the concept of it being taught to their kids. I don't see why its so difficult to understand this. Its very simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I understand what you want. I want to know why you are against it.
    PT, this is one of those very few times where you aren't stepping out of your worldview to look at this dispassionately and rationally.

It would disturb me, as a Christian, to have a public school teacher imparting the Bible on to kids. Why? Because kids aren't cognitively capable of truly thinking for themselves yet--it's simply an abuse of power. Foundational worldviews are not something to be lightly passed on to a child based off of a roll of the dice assigning them into some random adult's classroom.
    Similarly, it would disturb me to have a public school teacher imparting their worldview of "right" regarding complex adult relationships on to kids. It's simply an abuse of power.

These sorts of things don't get taught without bias. They just don't.

Private schools where parents choose to enroll their kids can teach from whatever worldview they want, but public school teachers shouldn't be imparting worldviews. That's a responsibility for parenting, and these kids can have discussions with whomever they choose when they're old enough to understand the issues.

(Note: The only thing I know about this prop 8 is from this thread.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTJ

Look, can we agree that there are some rituals in society that we hold sacred, such as marriage existing between a man and a woman? Nothing is stopping two gay guys from living with each other.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Look, can we agree that there are some rituals in society that we hold sacred, such as marriage existing between a man and a woman? Nothing is stopping two gay guys from living with each other.
    Can we agree then to also give gay people the same rights as straight people?

People need to read my posts more.