User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Thread: Prop 8

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    what's wrong about teaching kids about same sex marriage and what's wrong with liking some one of the same sex?
    Because the Bible says that a man lays with a woman.

It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

^
    That is seriously their argument, it is all they have.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    what's wrong about teaching kids about same sex marriage and what's wrong with liking some one of the same sex? I think anyone of any sexual preference is capable of raising a child granted they're comptent enough and plenty of straight people aren't just like many gays are. Ok so this is about marriage, and yes I know some people get married and never have kids, but people also marry and want kids.
    Sorry, there is no way in hell I would want my future kids to be taught about gay marriage. Just like I wouldn't want the bible to be taught because of freedom of religion and respect to everyone.

They should focus on math, reading, science, writing, creative writing, etc...

Its one thing to say "Some people decide to marry the same sex. They are people too" vs. saying subtley " Gay marriage is the normal thing to do, you should do it if you want" I wouldn't want to leave that up to the interpretation of a teacher. Just like I wouldn't want the teacher to be interpreting the bible in his/her own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Prop. 8 debate veers from same-sex marriage to public schools - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee

And that is all I'll say on the issue because I know it's an emotional one for many.

***"Our stance is that Proposition 8 is about same-sex marriage it's not about school curriculum, despite what the ads say," said Kelly, whose association represents more than 1,000 school districts and county offices of education.

Frank Schubert, who is managing the Yes on 8 campaign, disagrees and said the campaign is making the teaching of same-sex marriage in schools the focus of its campaign.

"We know the push will be on (in California) because it is always the agenda of people who want greater acceptance of their relationships," Schubert said.

Kendall called the ad campaign a "scare tactic."***

That little thing about the lesiban teacher was taken completely out of context btw, it was not for school.

Here is the lead spokesman for Yes on 8:

[youtube=z_VZoqKQCTw] Who's taking the high road? [/youtube]

[youtube=HCFoM-1j74I] Yes on Prop 8 = Ignorance [/youtube]

Is the picture clear?

One more for kicks: Fight over Prop. 8 results in assaults - 11/04/08 - San Francisco News - abc7news.com

Who wants to keep arguing?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    Sorry, there is no way in hell I would want my future kids to be taught about gay marriage. Just like I wouldn't want the bible to be taught because of freedom of religion and respect to everyone.
    I'm confused. Why are these comparable to you?

I mean, let's reverse this around a bit, to make it more historical:

Sorry, there is no way in hell I would want my future daughters to be taught about women's right to vote. Just like I wouldn't want the bible to be taught because of freedom of religion and respect to everyone.

I have to assume you think that the marriage "right" is conditional then, and not freely given. If it is, there is no particular harm in letting them know they have it, unless you don't really want them to have that choice...?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default Hey California

Fuck you. My wish is that you slide into the Pacific Ocean leaving nothing but a reading of 28.3 on the richter scale as a reminder of your discontinued existence.

Thank you, that is all.
    Last edited by Brendan; 11-05-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Grammar. These messages of hatred and loathing merit proper syntax.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Kendall called the ad campaign a "scare tactic."***
    California gays should have come out and said " I just want to marry like everyone else does. Not teach it to your kids like Massachussets did"

Instead of calling it spreading fear, why not address that exact issue? Why not? There is a huge void to be filled then. Massachussets did it after they became the experimental ground, why wouldn't California follow in those footsteps?

A lot of people support the legal right of gay marriage. But a lot of those same people don't want it to be taught to their kids. Why is it so hard to respect that?

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I'm confused. Why are these comparable to you?

I mean, let's reverse this around a bit, to make it more historical:

Sorry, there is no way in hell I would want my future daughters to be taught about women's right to vote. Just like I wouldn't want the bible to be taught because of freedom of religion and respect to everyone.

I have to assume you think that the marriage "right" is conditional then, and not freely given. If it is, there is no particular harm in letting them know they have it, unless you don't really want them to have that choice...?
    Its common sense to not say what you said about women's rights to vote. A lot more common sense could have made prop 8 a non issue as well.

Like I said, a lot of the prop yes voters do support the legal right of gay marriage. But do not support the concept of it being taught to their kids. I don't see why its so difficult to understand this. Its very simple.

The Gays have no jurisdiction over the schools!!!!!!! What are you talking about??????

It is the schools decision to teach marriage, not the gays, as I said before. The schools clearly said they had not and would not teach it.

Besides, Marriage itself isn't taught in schools, I never recall being taught about marriage.

Nomad, listen, Gay marriage (Nor any Marriage AT ALL) had never been taught in California schools, and would not be taught if the proposition failed to pass. Am I clear?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    Its common sense to not say what you said about women's rights to vote. A lot more common sense could have made prop 8 a non issue as well.
    Common sense now, maybe. It was going to be the "ruination of society" back then. It was going to elevate women to equals, when clearly that was not God's will.

Like I said, a lot of the prop yes voters do support the legal right of gay marriage. But do not support the concept of it being taught to their kids. I don't see why its so difficult to understand this. Its very simple.
    I understand what you want. I want to know why you are against it.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I understand what you want. I want to know why you are against it.
    against what? the teaching of gay marriage to kids? to my future kids? Come on man. Thats a cultural issue. Just like religion is.