First 27353637

Thread: Prop 8

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Should've seen my neighborhood about 2 weeks before election night. Yes on Prop 8 signs were on a bunch of lawns, not to mention numerous fliers aggressively passed out at in front of supermarkets, shopping centers, parking lots.. it was non-stop.

People were driving by in their monster trucks, bigass suburbans, screeching their tires, honking their horns, shooutin like crazy about their putrid hate for gays, standing around on street corners with their signs, "Yes on Prop 8." (What did they ever do to you?? Why the all hate??). It felt like they were about to pull their guns out and start firing. It was that scary. I felt so ashamed. I guess it was mostly influenced by a popular community pastor. Was the hostility necessary? It's not like they had protesters out there to oppose them.

I had to vote against my lucky number 8. The proposition was misleading for common people who mostly fell for the stupid TV ads and religious propaganda.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    The proposition was misleading for common people who mostly fell for the stupid TV ads and religious propaganda.
    Oi vey. What an understatement.

The conservatives sure know how to drive their point though. I think that's the downfall of the liberals. They expect other people to accept their views based on logic. The right forces their view, whether it makes sense or not.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    The conservatives sure know how to drive their point though. I think that's the downfall of the liberals. They expect other people to accept their views based on logic. The right forces their view, whether it makes sense or not.
    Isn't that what happened in the 80's?
    The repubs were far more ruthless than the dems, and they cleaned up big.

Now, if you think your POV is the correct one and the other is very detrimental to society, it makes sense to force it and scrap like crazy. But you're right that different strategies were employed, and the elegance of an argument is sometimes a poor weapon in a political war.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Yeah, they were really relentless and very aggressive in their approach. There were A LOT of protestors pushing for it in my neighborhood. But, it doesn't help that per capita, we have one of the largest population of conservative voters. I'm obviously the black sheep. I'm still pretty upset prop 8 passed, but am somewhat hopeful that it will get over-turned. So I'm still rooting for no on 8.

MBTI
    INxJ

[youtube="on24X8V-u1U"]Gay Marriage - Bjorn Borg[/youtube]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default The Newest Twist...

I figured I'd spare us all the tedium of starting a NEW thread and instead just abscond with an old, appropriate one...

Here's the current State of Things:

SAN FRANCISCO The California attorney general has changed his position on the state's new same-sex marriage ban and is now urging the state Supreme Court to void Proposition 8.

In a dramatic reversal, Attorney General Jerry Brown filed a legal brief saying the measure that amended the California Constitution to limit marriage to a man and a woman is itself unconstitutional because it deprives a minority group of a fundamental right. Earlier, Brown had said he would defend the ballot measure against legal challenges from gay marriage supporters.

But Brown said he reached a different conclusion "upon further reflection and a deeper probing into all the aspects of our Constitution.

"It became evident that the Article 1 provision guaranteeing basic liberty, which includes the right to marry, took precedence over the initiative," he said in an interview Friday night. "Based on my duty to defend the law and the entire Constitution, I concluded the court should protect the right to marry even in the face of the 52 percent vote."

...The sponsors of Proposition 8 argued for the first time Friday that the court should undo the marriages of the estimated 18,000 same-sex couples who exchanged vows before voters banned gay marriage at the ballot box last month.

The Yes on 8 campaign filed a brief telling the court that because the new law holds that only marriages between a man and a woman are recognized or valid in California, the state can no longer recognize the existing same-sex unions.

...The state Supreme Court could hear arguments in the litigation in March. The measure's backers announced Friday that Kenneth Starr had signed on as their lead counsel and would argue the cases.
    The CA Attorney ("How Now, Brown Governor") General is fighting against it.

Ken ("I sank my teeth into Bill Clinton's Ankle and all I got was this lousy punchline on late night talk shows") Starr is championing it.

Now they want to retroactively strip away the marriages that were granted.

The drama unfolds.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

Default Supreme Court?

Maybe it will go to the Supreme Court [again] and they will veto it?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Civil Rights issues that are publicly voted on are stupid. The reason it's an issue is because a majority is trying to control a minority in the first place. That's pretty much the definition.