User Tag List

First 2634353637 Last

Thread: Prop 8

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    First of all, I know many gay Christians who love God just as much as any evangelical. If you went to their churches, you honestly couldn't tell that it was a "gay" church from listening to the prayers and hearing people's hearts. They sang the same music; they searched the same scriptures; they submitted to God the same way an evangelical would; they prayed from the same heart.
    Same here. There are many religious homosexuals.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I do not understand how someone could be a homosexual and also be down for Christianity.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I do not understand how someone could be a homosexual and also be down for Christianity.
    They'd have to have a very very liberal interpretation of Christianity. Then it can semi-make sense to me.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    There are many things the bible states as wrong. That doesn't stop certain people that do them from being christian or a variation of.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    They'd have to have a very very liberal interpretation of Christianity. Then it can semi-make sense to me.
    yeah. most of the gay Christians I know are Episcopalians, Quakers, or Unitarian-Universalists. I have known a few gay Baptists who managed to find accepting bubbles within the Baptist church (not the SBC, I don't think) and I recently met a gay Moravian which was interesting.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTJ

Lutherans also tend to be quite liberal on most stances, and even ordain gay ministers.

As to how homosexuals can be 'down with Christianity', it all depends on interpretation.

"For the word of God is living and active"- Hebrews 4:12
    For Christians, including myself, who consider the Bible to contain the living word of God, individual interpretations can vary greatly. The 'living word' concentrates on how the written word speaks to you- this can widely vary among individuals.

Of course, they could simply be overlooking the few isolated circumstances which condemn homosexuality in favor for the rest of the teachings in the Bible. There are any number of reasons for this belief which would be in accordance with the Bible.
    Perhaps they believe in justification by faith. Perhaps they believe that loving one another as Jesus taught is the fulfillment of God's law. Or perhaps they choose to "sin boldly" as Martin Luther put it, and trust that their faith in God will be stronger than their sins.

Essentially, it varies enormously among individuals, and no single interpretation of the Bible will be applicable to everybody.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

... i just thot it was funny.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    yeah. most of the gay Christians I know are Episcopalians, Quakers, or Unitarian-Universalists. I have known a few gay Baptists who managed to find accepting bubbles within the Baptist church (not the SBC, I don't think) and I recently met a gay Moravian which was interesting.
    Gay Moravian? Wow, that would have been interesting, I haven't collected a trading card for one of those yet!

Like I said here or elsewhere, if you walked into the MCC church I've been to, you wouldn't have known the difference between anyone there and anyone at your typical evangelical or emerging church. They're people who love God via the Christian tradition.

Scandalous.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

^ Jennifer, that pie chart was simply hilarious.