User Tag List

First 182627282930 Last

Thread: Prop 8

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    It was my understanding that Prop 8 was an amendment to the state constitution. If that is the case, then the situation would be analogous to the national prohibition amendment. As such, the California courts would have no more legitimate authority to cancel such an amendment than the Supreme Court would have had to cancel prohibition.
    You can't amend the California Constitution unless you have 2/3 California congressional approval, and then it has to be put to a vote/referendum amongst the people.

It didn't follow the procedures in Constitutional amendment. It will most likely get overturned.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    You can't amend the California Constitution unless you have 2/3 California congressional approval, and then it has to be put to a vote/referendum amongst the people.

It didn't follow the procedures in Constitutional amendment. It will most likely get overturned.
    Ah, I thought the process sounded a bit too easy for a constitutional amendment. In that case, how exactly is this proposition different from the one that was overturned?

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    No. If marriage is between a man and a woman (and it is defined as such), then marriage doesn't exist between same sex couples by definition.
    You are making a big fuss over irrelevant distinctions. Traditions are not cast in stone. They can be updated as we become more enlightened.

AGAIN, work on changing the civil union laws if you want some of the same benefits. I doubt anyone will stand in your way on that.
    Since I am not gay, the law would not affect me. I am simply interested in decency and fairness.

Marriage laws are updated constantly without fanfare. If prop8 support is truly not motivated by anti-gay sentiment, then why don't we see these same people protesting other changes?

Maybe I should fight to receive tax credits because it's not fair that I am denied the same benefits that married couples have.
    There is no reason to have a state bias towards marriage unless there are social benefits. For example, if the state need to spawn more workers and soldiers, then it would be reasonable to bribe people to reproduce.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

That was really beautiful. That man has admirable character--not because I agree with him, but because he stepped outside of his worldview and reconsidered it, and was brave enough to change it.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

I saw that a while back, and it made me cry. I really appreciate his empathy and willingness to change his existing world view.

However, I think that it could only happen in a community that had a significant amount of acceptance (already) to gay and lesbian couples, such as San Diego. It could not happen in a place like South Dakota, and it could not happen in my home town. That fact makes me sad and frustrated.

violaine

^Awesome. Enlightened.

MBTI
    INxJ

Nationwide Prop 8 Protest

http://www.jointheimpact.com/?page_id=2

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    You can't amend the California Constitution unless you have 2/3 California congressional approval, and then it has to be put to a vote/referendum amongst the people. It didn't follow the procedures in Constitutional amendment. It will most likely get overturned.
    So basicall a procedural issue, like what happened in Montgomery County, MD, with trying to discriminate against the transgendered (most notably in regards to bathroom issues)?

The judge threw the proposed rule out in September because apparently they had lied and not gotten the necessary amount of names to get it officially on the ballot.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Proposition 8... California (from wiki)

If passed, the amendment would override the ruling in In re Marriage Cases that struck down both the 1977 law and Proposition 22 for being unconstitutional.[24] The Constitution, as amended, would add a new section (Section 7.5) to Article I, placing it between the state Equal Protection clause and nondiscrimination in business and the professions. This new section would read:

Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.[17][25][26]
    So that would nullify the gay marriages that have already taken place? This should end up in the Supreme Court. I hope that it won't take as long for this to be recognized as a breach of constitutional rights as it took for interracial marriage to be recognized. From what I have read the language used in both cases is similar. It is surprising to me that after so much has been accomplished in civil rights how strongly people are still against gay marriage.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)