First 4121314151624 Last

Thread: Prop 8

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Most people you're arguing with agree with you--gays should have full rights. I fully believe that. Just like religious people should have full rights. The details just shouldn't be taught in the classroom by teachers. Which apparently isn't part of Prop 8, though people brought it up and I assumed it was.
    Though I am all about sex-ed, thank you for clarifying, and minus this statement of yours,"The details just shouldn't be taught in the classroom by teachers", which I admit has a lot more room for dispute, I appreciate your general stance.

Also, I am sorry for being harsh with you earlier, (lol, a few minutes ago ).

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Because it's the crux of your argument, fool!
    i rather u define it and i vote on it. why do i have to take the extra effort? im already taking a lot of effort with like a bazillion posts on this subject.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Most people you're arguing with agree with you--gays should have full rights. I fully believe that. Just like religious people should have full rights. The details just shouldn't be taught in the classroom by teachers. Which apparently isn't part of Prop 8, though people brought it up and I assumed it was.
    Absolutely, QFT!!!
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    ENFJ

If all the teacher is going to say is "some men marry other men, and some women marry other women" why would anyone have a problem with that?
    THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN WONDERING.
    The problem arises when a teacher expands with their subjective opinion. How many of your teachers would've been able to communicate pure objectivity on issues of religion or sexual orientation? Not all. Likely not most. Thus, these issues should stay out of the classroom.
    Actually, my teachers were more objective than my parents when it came to these things.

See, funny thing, since parents have a larger interest in how their child develops than do their teachers, they're more inclined to inject their opinions.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    INTP

Then why are people talking about it in this thread? I prefaced my first post with a statement that everything I'd learned about Prop 8 was from this thread.
    Gay marriage became legal in Massachesetts due to judicial fiat.

Teaching students about gay marriage (I'm assuming this includes more than a simple statement of "gay marriage exist, its controversial"-issues of indoctrination are involved) was also mandated by judicial fiat.

Gay marriage was legalized in California through judicial fiat.

People fear that teaching gay marriage will be mandated by judicial fiat in California without a constitutional prohibition in place.

I wouldn't have voted "yes" to propsition 8, but I don't think its unreasonable to fear a slippery slope given past judicial activism.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

If all the teacher is going to say is "some men marry other men, and some women marry other women" why would anyone have a problem with that?

The problem arises when a teacher expands with their subjective opinion. How many of your teachers would've been able to communicate pure objectivity on issues of religion or sexual orientation? Not all. Likely not most. Thus, these issues should stay out of the classroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Though I am all about sex-ed, thank you for clarifying, and minus this statement of yours,"The details just shouldn't be taught in the classroom by teachers", which I admit has a lot more room for dispute, I appreciate your general stance.

Also, I am sorry for being harsh with you earlier, (lol, a few minutes ago ).

Np. Passionate topic. I'll leave the discussion quoting my final opinion. (Btw I'm pro-sex-ed also. I was taught that at my private Christian school and can't imagine why that would not be taught.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    i actually rather talk to a gay person directly about this. they seem more sensible.
    Allow me to explain why [I decided to buy a WowWee Talking Elvis].

Why would I want to define it? I'm not gay.
    If you cannot define the thing you are railing against, you fail.

I mean, i really hope u guys can marry. But why teach it to kids. Young, moldable kids. They should be learning science, sharing, math, friendship, all that good stuff.
    If you still do not understand that this proposition is not about teaching children about marriage, you fail.

If you imply that because children are moldable, them being taught about gay marriage will make them gay, you fail.

i don't mind a teacher telling kids that "gays are people with just different choices in life..." but im sure there will be teachers who subtley tell kids "this is what you should be when you grow up, bc i tell u to"
    If you imply that teachers will teach their students to be gay, you fail.

just why deal with that?
    Why should we deal with your [lack of a talking Elvis]?
    Last edited by Ivy; 11-05-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: edited insults

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I've edited out a few personal attacks. Try to attack only ideas, not people.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENFJ

i rather u define it and i vote on it. why do i have to take the extra effort? im already taking a lot of effort with like a bazillion posts on this subject.
    The sheer quantity of your unintelligible babble does not effect its quality... Well it does, but not in they way you're implying.

And the reason I asked you to define "taught gay marriage" is because I don't know what was taught to children in Massachusetts that is under the umbrella of "taught gay marriage."

Put up or shut up.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    See, funny thing, since parents have a larger interest in how their child develops than do their teachers, they're more inclined to inject their opinions.

Yes, I believe we call that PARENTING. More people with little offspring should try it out.