User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

Thread: Prop 8

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    OH... MY... GOODNESS.

Homosexuals are human beings and deserve every right that other human beings have, period.

Those that attempt to strip them of these rights are ignorant, unethical and of course, biased.

:sad:

All I'm arguing is that I don't want a teacher teaching my kid about homosexuality. I never said I don't respect homosexuality, I never said I don't have gay friends, and I never said I was anti-gay marriage.

Do healthy atheists teach their kids that religion is evil and every theist is a sub-class human? Absolutely not. They just don't want a teacher teaching their kid about it.

I can teach my future child tolerance just fine; I can introduce them to my gay friends and let the child see they're every bit as full of soulful humanity as any other human. I simply don't want a public school teacher educating my child about complex adult things in exactly the same way an atheist will not want their child being taught all about Christianity in their classroom.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Think about every one of your teachers for a moment. <think>

Done? Now, roughly what percentage of them would you want telling you about life (when you're brain is not physiologically mature enough and you aren't old enough to have life experience to think rationally about what all of these teachers say)?

What do you think the correlation is between teachers who want to convince all the kids to see things exactly the way they do, and the teachers that are likely to speak up? Probably very high.

If you don't want a Christian teacher teaching your kid about how there's a heaven and you can only get into it if you accept Jesus Christ as your personal saviour, you can apply the same reasoning to why lots of people don't want teachers teaching their kids about complex adult relationships.

Parenting is for parents; teachers teach.
    This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Prop 8!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP

OH... MY... GOODNESS.

Homosexuals are human beings and deserve every right that other human beings have, period.

Those that attempt to strip them of these rights are ignorant, unethical and of course, biased.

:sad:
    Was that in reference to my post? Maybe you should reread my earler comments. Comparing slavery to lack of marriage rights is not even remotely appropriate, its like godwining the thread.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Define "taught gay marriage."
    Why would I want to define it? I'm not gay.

I mean, i really hope u guys can marry. But why teach it to kids. Young, moldable kids. They should be learning science, sharing, math, friendship, all that good stuff.

i don't mind a teacher telling kids that "gays are people with just different choices in life..." but im sure there will be teachers who subtley tell kids "this is what you should be when you grow up, bc i tell u to"

just why deal with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    Why would I want to define it? I'm not gay.

I mean, i really hope u guys can marry. But why teach it to kids. Young, moldable kids. They should be learning science, sharing, math, friendship, all that good stuff.

i don't mind a teacher telling kids that "gays are people with just different choices in life..." but im sure there will be teachers who subtley tell kids "this is what you should be when you grow up, bc i tell u to"

just why deal with that?
    You lose.

GTFO

You no longer have the right to speak about this topic anymore because of that post.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

It's not possible to separate social issues from the education system. I really don't see what the problem is about explaining love/marriage between two males in school. Everything else is given place, right? At the very least, it's a historical fact that CA became one of the first places (when did MA approve gay marriage?) to approve of such a thing. Not teaching at least that much because of ideological differences would be like having to refrain from teaching about the lunar landing because of some idiotic parents thinking that it was a set-up by the government.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post

All I'm arguing is that I don't want a teacher teaching my kid about homosexuality. I never said I don't respect homosexuality, I never said I don't have gay friends, and I never said I was anti-gay marriage.

Do healthy atheists teach their kids that religion is evil and every theist is a sub-class human? Absolutely not. They just don't want a teacher teaching their kid about it.

I can teach my future child tolerance just fine; I can introduce them to my gay friends and let the child see they're every bit as full of soulful humanity as any other human. I simply don't want a public school teacher educating my child about complex adult things in exactly the same way an atheist will teach their child theists are people deserving of your respect.
    Please read..

California Proposition 8 (2008) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Prop 8!!!
    Then why are people talking about it in this thread? I prefaced my first post with a statement that everything I'd learned about Prop 8 was from this thread.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    So exactly what is it that was supposedly, in the estimation of those who supported the proposition, going to be taught to children?
    Obviously, they didn't have to specify what it meant. The vague threat clearly worked. Good thing for them, too, because it was completely fabricated to scare parents.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Blacks are inferior to whites, women are inferior to men, gays are inferior to heterosexuals and do not deserve the same rights.

IF YOU DON'T SEE THE SIMILARITIES IN THESE ANALOGIES, SORRY.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles