User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Or, people who earn their money honestly should keep it, and do with it as they please.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't see it as fair, no. After a certain point, wealth distribution is inherently UNfair. It starts to become a penalty for success.
    Only if redistribution is taken to the extreme, where you try to make everyone the same. No one in their right mind would advocate this.

For example, a limited implementation might simply target inherited wealth.

Since when did this country ever guarantee that we'd all get to enjoy a relatively equal amount of financial success? What's guaranteed is the opportunity to work for it. Just as the Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, but rather the pursuit of it.
    The constitution is suppose to give "every" member an equal opportunity to compete for wealth. This cannot happen if some members start out with too much more resources.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Or, people who earn their money honestly should keep it, and do with it as they please.
    "Honestly"? Just what is honestly in that system? For one thing, all sorts of strings are pulled; politicians are bought off, and many of the "pork barrel" and other "govt. waste" blamed all on "nonworkers" are going to them as well.
    And again, what determines that hundreds of times what the workers make (when it was much less of a ratio in the past) and all of that frivolous stuff they spend it on is what is "earned"? Suppose they decided that they "earned" even more, to the point that we all are left in squalor? These are the kinds of questions we should be asking, instead of just making these statements which sound logical, but really aren't, when you take into account that you probably work just as hard if not possibly harder, yet must struggle to buy a modest house or food.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    "Honestly". Just what is honestly in that system? For one thig, all sorts of strings are pulled; politicians are bought off, and many of the "pork barrel" and other "govt. waste" blamed all on "nonworkers" are going to them as well.
    And again, what determines that hundreds of times what the workers make (when it was much less of a ratio in the past) and all of that frivolous stuff they spend it on is what is "earned"? Suppose they decided that they "earned" even more, to the point that we all are left in squalor? These are the kinds of questions we should be asking, instead of just making these statements which sound logical, but really aren't, when you take into account that probably work just as hard if not possibly harder, yet must struggle to buy a modest house or food.

Actually, no. What determines what is earned is if someone pays you for performing some type of labor or for your property in some way. This is not a difficult concept. A billionaire spending $35 million on a private plane doesn't hurt ANYONE, and, in fact, helps create jobs. You clearly have some type of misconception about the way market economies work. What DOES upset me is when people (rich or poor) who contribute nothing to society and use the government to keep themselves afloat. That is not what the government is supposed to do, and corporate welfare should outrage everyone.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    The constitution is suppose to give "every" member an equal opportunity to compete for wealth. This cannot happen if some members start out with too much more resources.
    Says who?

The constitution is specifically written to guarantee citizens equal status under law, to guarantee individual rights of citizens, and to specify the scope and power of government in relationship to those rights. Nowhere in it (nor in the founders' discussion of it, for that matter) is there any mention of limiting one citizen's access to wealth in favor of another in the interest of some perceived issue of "fairness."

In other words, you don't have the right to my stuff because you think I have too much stuff. That's not even found in rational discussion, let alone the Constitution.

I knew this "living document" crap was going to bite us on the ass...

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    On the one hand, the money these rich people are getting is not a handout. Your statement is only fair if the rich people in question were given the money, not if they worked for it.
    My statement is also fair in cases where someone's reward is disproportionately large in relation to the amount of work they did.

Oberon

My statement is also fair in cases where someone's reward is disproportionately large in relation to the amount of work they did.
    As determined by whom? If person X has a business agreement with person Y to pay wages A in exchange for labor B, what business is it of you, or government, or anyone else to limit that free exchange?

I can see how a joint-stock corporation's shareholders might have a valid interest in limiting executive compensation... but that's their business, not yours or mine.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Who are you to determine that? The only people involved in those decisions should be the employer and the employee.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Says who?
    The constitution is specifically written to guarantee citizens equal status under law, to guarantee individual rights of citizens, and to specify the scope and power of government in relationship to those rights. Nowhere in it (nor in the founders' discussion of it, for that matter) is there any mention of limiting one citizen's access to wealth in favor of another in the interest of some perceived issue of "fairness."
    The inderlying intent of all the constitutional mumbo jumbo is to give each member a relatively equal opportunity under the law, to acquire resources which will theoretically make them happy. Otherwise, why would anyone buy into it?

MBTI
    ESFJ

The inderlying intent of all the constitutional mumbo jumbo is to give each member a relatively equal opportunity under the law, to acquire resources which will theoretically make them happy. Otherwise, why would anyone buy into it?
    "Equality before the law" is not the same as "equal shot at success."