User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I also pointed out that, thanks to having a mortgage and four kids, I get all my federal taxes back and then some. Therefore I'm already below the break-even point for wealth redistribution.

You might want to work on those reading comprehension skills... just FYI.
    I ignored your claims of getting a net income from taxes because I think your claim of intentionally limiting your income to avoid taxes is just fluff talk.

Were you actually serious?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    I ignored your claims of getting a net income from taxes because I think your claim of intentionally limiting your income to avoid taxes is just fluff talk.

Were you actually serious?
    You bet your bippy I am, if the tax increase is large enough. If making a hundred grand puts me in a 50% tax bracket, I'll just cut back the work to make 50 grand and sleep better at night.

That's an extreme example, and perhaps not realistic, but there is a continuum of examples between that one and the current reality. To make more money requires one to work harder and be responsible for more things. This represents a genuine cost in my personal life, one that I shoulder reluctantly enough as it is (just ask Jennifer).

Now let's imagine that in addition to taking on this additional personal cost, a higher-paying, higher-responsibility job puts me in a position to have my additional income taxed at a higher rate. That condition imposes a law of diminishing returns on my extra effort.

What I'm telling you is that there is a point at which I (and any reasonable person) will say "Screw it, life's too short," and take a demotion, or retire early. And I'm dead serious about that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Obama is going to be making his first speech as president about the economy in about an hour. I'm fascinated (and dreading) to hear what his plans might be. More dread than fascination.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You bet your bippy I am, if the tax increase is large enough. If making a hundred grand puts me in a 50% tax bracket, I'll just cut back the work to make 50 grand and sleep better at night.

That's an extreme example, and perhaps not realistic, but there is a continuum of examples between that one and the current reality. To make more money requires one to work harder and be responsible for more things. This represents a genuine cost in my personal life, one that I shoulder reluctantly enough as it is (just ask Jennifer).
    Strategic planning is often more effective than working harder.

I don't see anything wrong with cutting back if work is a strong source of discontent and if you are not materialistic. But, I don't think the redistribution rate is as great of a demotivator as other factors.

MBTI
    ENTP

I think it is more likely that people will be less inclined to put new ideas and innovations into action.

Starting or buying a business is a huge risk. Most people who do try to build a business at some point face losing their home or life savings to make loan payments or payroll. The whole point of going through that nightmare is the potential reward both in money and in job creation.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    I don't know if someone has already mentioned this, but personally, I think redistribution of wealth is a great thing, and I really wish people would stop having a knee jerk reaction to the mention of redistributing wealth.
    Instead of redistributing wealth, how 'bout we just redistribute the means of production? I mean, what factory owner actually deserves to own a factory?

There are two ways to go with this. You could nationalize all the nation's industrial plant, or you could just confiscate it and give it to someone more deserving.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Strategic planning is often more effective than working harder.
    Strategic planning is working harder, if you do it right.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Obama is going to be making his first speech as president about the economy in about an hour. I'm fascinated (and dreading) to hear what his plans might be. More dread than fascination.
    President-elect.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    President-elect.
    ...as opposed to Bill Clinton, who was our... oh, never mind.

MBTI
    ENTP

For all of you so concerned that redistribution of wealth for those not very well off is going to destroy motivations and your way of life, would you rather accept the inevitable rise in crime?

And if the response is that people should then go forth and all carry guns, are you really that savage?

If corporate business had its way, all jobs would be outsourced. Welfare systems for the poor obviously do not work all that well in motivating people to get on their feet, but the alternative is far more dangerous for society.

I am rather proud to have moved to a society that won't let their neighbor go hungry