User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You're not getting it, mister. I have it on good authority that you have a whole CASE of Coke in your garage (I've been checking up on your financial records, you see). Therefore, I'm entitled to at least one of your Cokes. Otherwise it would be unfair.
    "A Coke in Every Refrigerator!"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    Yes, that's outlined in the constitution. But here's the thing: the government takes money (by force) for FAR MORE than the common defense. It has overgrown its boundaries.
    Well, it looks like we are about to move even closer to the Left. The under-30 voters are the fastest growing voting block and they tend to vote Democrat.

But I'm not trying to bum you out. Most of the industrial nations with high standards-of-living are even further to the Left than we are.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What's the difference between additional labor and other labor?
    The difference between two points of equilibrium. I'm asking what his is, more or less.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    The difference between two points of equilibrium. I'm asking what his is, more or less.
    My question was rhetorical, but don't you think tax burden shifts that equilibrium? I think it does.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTP

My question was rhetorical, but don't you think tax burden shifts that equilibrium? I think it does.
    Yup, I'm sure it does too, and I think it tends to be inefficient.

I also think the market produces a lot of things inefficiently. So, you kind of get to trade off. I may not be a big fan of economics, but I tend to agree with those two parts, along with the concepts of social costs (like taxing emissions, etc).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Yup, I'm sure it does too, and I think it tends to be inefficient.

I also think the market produces a lot of things inefficiently. So, you kind of get to trade off. I may not be a big fan of economics, but I tend to agree with those two parts, along with the concepts of social costs (like taxing emissions, etc).
    The difference between the market and the government (in that respect) being that the market has competition pushing things toward greater efficiency (or they go bankrupt). There is no such mechanism in government. Inefficiencies accumulate.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

lol.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    ISTP

The difference between the market and the government (in that respect) being that the market has competition pushing things toward greater efficiency (or they go bankrupt). There is no such mechanism in government. Inefficiencies accumulate.
    Yup. And the market produces certain goods even less efficiently than that. (Libertarians tend to agree with Defense and Roads, at least, so I'll use those as examples.)

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Do you think you should have any responsibilities as a citizen of your country?

This is what most countries ask of the residents, I think it's reasonable for the most part:

Responsibilities of citizenship

The legally enforceable duties of citizenship vary depending on one's country, and may include such items as:[6]

* paying taxes (although tourists and illegal aliens also pay some taxes such as sales taxes,etc)
    * serving on a jury
    * serving in the country's armed forces when called upon (in the US even illegal immigrants must serve in case of a draft[7]).
    * obeying the criminal laws enacted by one's government, even while abroad.

Purely ethical and moral duties tend to include:

* demonstrating commitment and loyalty to the democratic political community and state
    * constructively criticizing the conditions of political and civic life
    * participating to improve the quality of political and civic life
    * respecting the rights of others
    * defending one's own rights and the rights of others against those who would abuse them
    * exercising one's rights

They aren't necessary, though. The United States government could function with only user fees and excise taxes.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EvanTheClown View Post
    lol.
    Jesus wouldn't be in the government. Please don't ever bring him up in a serious political discussion.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"