User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but it's not reason enough for me to care more about her than anyone else. Really, her fame is the only difference between her and most other random people I read about/see on tv. She is effectively a stranger to me and I would find it beyond exhausting to be as concerned with every stranger I hear about as my own family and friends.
    I see what you're saying, but it's not unusual that her situation would resonate with people who got to know her personality and life story on American Idol. There's always a little more empathy when you can put a face and personal details with a story than when you just hear about a name on the six o'clock news. It's not that her situation is more tragic because she's famous. It's just that people have a little more familiarity with her because she's famous.

Having said that, I would feel terrible for anyone I'd heard about that lost their mother, brother and nephew to murder in the same week. I think it's only natural to think about what that would be like if it happened to you, and empathize with them, whether you know them or not. It just makes you think.

I do care MORE about the people I know, but feeling bad for Jennifer Hudson's situation in part because I was familiar with her from American Idol isn't the same as celebrity worship.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

It's very sad but no sadder than if it were to happen to a regular non Oscar winning person. Its a shame her sister got mixed up with the wrong dude.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but it's not reason enough for me to care more about her than anyone else. Really, her fame is the only difference between her and most other random people I read about/see on tv. She is effectively a stranger to me and I would find it beyond exhausting to be as concerned with every stranger I hear about as my own family and friends.
    Well, honestly, I doubt that most people ARE as concerned for her as they are for their own family and friends. If she were my friend, I would be with her, calling her, making sure she has what she needs, sitting quietly next to her, or something like that. I don't know her, so I just express my sympathy on the internet. It's really not that exhausting.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ENTJ

She was famous. It came with the territory. Now let's all call the care police and shed imaginary tears.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    She was famous. It came with the territory. Now let's all call the care police and shed imaginary tears.

Having a jealous maniac murder half your family comes with the territory? What territory is that?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Having a jealous maniac murder half your family comes with the territory? What territory is that?
    Being a good-for-nothing ugly diva.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Being a good-for-nothing ugly diva.
    Bitter much?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP

Well I think we can only really understand what someone is going through if we experienced something similar or the same situation.
    Of course we don't have the same amount of sympathy for her as for a friend and it's not comparable to our losses.
    That doesn't mean we're being "gushy".
    She's not a good for nothing ugly diva, she's got talent and I appreciate that, I like her voice.
    I don't understand why people are going in terms of celebrity versus non celebrity: we just feel bad for her.
    Then it's not that we don't feel "more" for her, it's simply that if you're not famous your story doesn't reach anyone apart from your circle of friend and acquaintances who usually are careful not to repeat it elsewhere.
    I'd feel bad if someone told me a story like that and I didn't know them...
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Bitter much?
    No, not really. I have no interest in the entertainment industry. I barely watch TV or listen to mainstream music.

But as I said, she made herself prolific. So some people got more of a kick from whacking some of her family. Oh well.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

It wasn't because of her fame...

You can't shrug off what happens to somebody because you happen to think little of thier celebrity- she at least did something for hers unlike some people.

You can be a bit creeped out by a crime no matter WHO it happens to, as long as you're human.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett