User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 32

  1. #11
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I think the way people gush over anything bad that happens to celebrities kind of trivializes the tragedies normal folk undergo everyday.
    In a way, I agree with you, but I think that situations like this end up encompassing and symbolizing all those other similar tragedies.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  2. #12
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    In a way, I agree with you, but I think that situations like this end up encompassing and symbolizing all those other similar tragedies.
    Yeah I can see your point.

    I guess I just don't like the high degree of celebrity worship our society has.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah I can see your point.

    I guess I just don't like the high degree of celebrity worship our society has.
    Celebrity worship is lame, but empathy is good.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  4. #14
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Celebrity worship is lame, but empathy is good.
    I agree. Having your family ripped apart doesn't hurt any less because you have money and fame.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #15
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I agree. Having your family ripped apart doesn't hurt any less because you have money and fame.
    Yup. It's a pretty tasteless stand. Knowing what family means to me, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  6. #16
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Well said, Eileen and p_m.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  7. #17
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    Yup. It's a pretty tasteless stand. Knowing what family means to me, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    Does anybody really even have that stand?

  8. #18
    / booyalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Having your family ripped apart doesn't hurt any less because you have money and fame.
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but it's not reason enough for me to care more about her than anyone else. Really, her fame is the only difference between her and most other random people I read about/see on tv. She is effectively a stranger to me and I would find it beyond exhausting to be as concerned with every stranger I hear about as my own family and friends.
    I don't wanna!

  9. #19
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but it's not reason enough for me to care more about her than anyone else. Really, her fame is the only difference between her and most other random people I read about/see on tv. She is effectively a stranger to me and I would find it beyond exhausting to be as concerned with every stranger I hear about as my own family and friends.

    Fair enough. I get pretty upset when I hear about stories like that. Far too common in a city like Philadelphia. Most of our murders are drug-related, and, while I think that blood is on the hands of the government (for keeping drugs illegal), I don't really shed a tear over gangsters killing each other. Something like this, though. . .
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  10. #20
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    I was saddened by the news. Murder is a fact of life in some areas of the country but it's not common to have your mother, brother, and nephew killed at once. That's devastating.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Similar Threads

  1. Is anybody else utterly confused as to what's going on?
    By Julius_Van_Der_Beak in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 09-18-2015, 05:25 AM
  2. [ENFP] What happens to Enfps as they get older?
    By Angry Ayrab in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 10:17 AM
  3. [NF] NFs: What Is Your Opinion of "What Not to Wear"?
    By kiddykat in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 06:42 PM
  4. [ENFP] What happens to ENFPs when they don't get the alone time they need?
    By cn1234567890 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 08:20 PM
  5. What happens to the young artists?
    By raincrow007 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 01:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO