First 192728293031 Last

Thread: Obama Wins.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    BTW, Abbas Kiarostami's films are released in American theaters, and are available via Netflix and at cinephile rental stores around the country. Taste of Cherry is in my Netflix queue as we speak.
    Since you are quoting that movie:

1) Who subsidized Abbas Kiarostami? How has this film been possible?

2) Do you want to compare the number of people who have seen it in France or within the USA?

---

Answers:

1-> 90% of the money came from France.

2-> Tam-e gil?s reached the top 10 entries in Paris, just after its release.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTJ

Wow. And this is how American's and European's get into this tiffs, trying to claim the other is arrogant and ignorant when in truth they are both equally so.

There is plenty of long lasting culture in Europe that is amazing.

There is more diversity in the United States then any country as a whole, but due to our vast size, it can be spread out minus a few extra cities. Europe is much more densely packed so the apparent diversity is more accessible. Plus, in the US, there are lots of unique "cultural" centers for different groups that naturally congregate together. One of the largest populations of Vietnamese is in Albuquerque, New Mexico is a great example. I won't go into the history as of why, but it just shows you find surprising things in this country.

In the end we all live on the same planet, and especially today, we all are helping write modern history.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    However, it is not right to say "since these are better than Transformers, we have to keep Transformers out." People have a right to purchase whatever they enjoy, if someone wants to sell it.
    Who's saying we should keep transformers out ?
    The problem is exactly the other way around : American or non-American avant garde or art directors have huge problems to get their projects funded because they make less profit than Hollywood pictures. I'm not pleading AGAINST transformers, I'm pleading FOR low budget movies. Our current market kills off all the small fish. The same with small independent shops vs multinationals.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by ewomack View Post
    ...and what people tend to value now is profit... and not only profit, but profit growth... my last employer considered it a failure if they experienced less than 20% growth from one fiscal year to the next. One of the years I was there they saw 17% growth. They treated this as a "Ooh... too bad! We almost made it! Better luck next year!"
    Exactly. It's pathetic. We should be aiming for economical durability rather than growth. We live on a sphere for god's sake. By which I mean : spheres have an end, once you go round full circle. You can't keep growing forever.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    French film, like all the others I mentioned, has its place in the market. Your problem is not that film needs a command economy, but rather that most filmgoers are philistines.
    Yeah perhaps that's the underlying issue.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Yeah perhaps that's the underlying issue.
    Not if you consider the extent to which the film industry creates demand for its product.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Sniffles

I don't wish to discuss Obama's election to any great extent, not least of which because I'm already sick to death of hearing about it.

But I will throw in my two cents and say the whole piss contest betweem Europe and America is childish bullshit as far as Im concerned.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Not if you consider the extent to which the film industry creates demand for its product.
    even more true.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Obama will never be more popular than he is on inauguration day. After that, the realities of the office and the pressures of working in Washington will set in, and he will be forced to make some unpopular decisions. On the whole, I think the bulk of the political left will be disappointed with how little things actually change.
    Yeah, probably. He probably won't do as much infamous shit as Bush either, and so won't be dogged down as much by the media. Chances are the Obama years will end up being vanilla.

Anyways, I will be waiting intently for his next move

In the meantime....
    YouTube - APT "Obama Obama" A Milli Obama Remix

ROFLZ
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Exactly. It's pathetic. We should be aiming for economical durability rather than growth. We live on a sphere for god's sake. By which I mean : spheres have an end, once you go round full circle. You can't keep growing forever.
    Actually, you can. Economically, anyway. What's to stop us?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"