User Tag List

First 182627282930 Last

Thread: Obama Wins.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The United States is the world's #1 consumer of non-American culture, so, again, you're out of your mind. Have you ever been to the United States? You should be embarrassed of yourself right now.
    He's a Parisian. Despising Americans is their favorite pastime. Rather than oppose him, I propose we critique his efforts.

What do you think? A ten-point scale, with one score for technical difficulty and another for artistic interpretation?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    He's a Parisian. Despising Americans is their favorite pastime. Rather than oppose him, I propose we critique his efforts.

What do you think? A ten-point scale, with one score for technical difficulty and another for artistic interpretation?

How about I hit him where it actually hurts? Paris is overrated. I had some good food and saw some nice paintings, but it's one of my least favorite major European cities. Central France was far more enjoyable, and the people were quite friendly.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Oh, I wasn't bragging. Feel free to be all impressed with yourself for being French. You will anyway.
    I'm not "impressed with myself being french", I'm merely describing the current situation.

I'm not bragging about France, I'm rather saying that American cultural chauvinism is not only annoying but very destructive. And most americans do not realize this.

For instance, I'm a great fan of movie-director Abbas Kiarostami. This is possible only in a non-american country, or almost.
    I've considered several times to move in America, to live there a good part of my life, and maybe to become a citizen (who knows?). But one thing that prevents me to do so, is this painful lack of curiosity and open-mindedness towards the rest of the world. It's very frustrating, especially for someone who works within the cultural milieu (I do).

And it has nothing to do with being french or not, believe me.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The American studios compete with EACH OTHER most fervently of all! What the hell are you talking about? Not only that, I've seen movies in the theater from Spain, Mexico, Germany, England, France, Japan, South Korea, and Russia within the past three years. I've been to film festivals with movies from Brazil, Senegal, South Africa, Greece, and Italy in the past year, as well.
    Well, raw numbers are not saying the same story.

I'm not saying I do not believe you, but frankly, you cannot compare.

The United States is the world's #1 consumer of non-American culture, so, again, you're out of your mind. Have you ever been to the United States? You should be embarrassed of yourself right now.
    Abysmal ignorance.

It's so untrue it's ridiculously laughable.

You know, I've even dared to LIVE in Manhattan. And I find the city fascinating.
    Have you tried to live outside your cultural bubble?
    How many languages do you master?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Hmmm...doesn't the French government subsidize their film industry to an extent? I can't imagine that this doesn't have an effect on the types of film being made, for better or for worse. I am inclined to say that it is perhaps a little better because there is less of a need to pump out Hollywood-style blockbusters. But I don't know...
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

What a profound discussion!
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Clich.

I admire America you have no idea. I've never hidden that fact. I'm in love with this country.

But I despise blind chauvinism and ignorance, should it be american, french... I don't care. Same kind of stupidity.

7w8 SCUxI

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Clich.

I admire America you have no idea. I've never hidden that fact. I'm in love with this country.

But I despise blind chauvinism and ignorance, should it be american, french... I don't care. Same kind of stupidity.
    I should point out that I haven't expressed any particular partisanship on behalf of American film, nor have I expressed any particular contempt toward French film. I'm perfectly willing to live and let live.

Which leads me to wonder, exactly why are we having this discussion?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Well, raw numbers are not saying the same story.

I'm not saying I do not believe you, but frankly, you cannot compare.
    I can and do.

Abysmal ignorance.

It's so untrue it's ridiculously laughable.

You know, I've even dared to LIVE in Manhattan. And I find the city fascinating.
    Have you tried to live outside your cultural bubble?
    How many languages do you master?

The numbers back it up. And I speak English and Spanish.

MBTI
    ESFJ

BTW, Abbas Kiarostami's films are released in American theaters, and are available via Netflix and at cinephile rental stores around the country. Taste of Cherry is in my Netflix queue as we speak.