User Tag List

First 172526272829 Last

Thread: Obama Wins.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    That's insane ! Why not kill all animals in the same breath ? or all non-americans ? I say we should have a global gladiators contest and see who makes it through.

Your example of French cinema perfectly illustrates how the current market, or status quo even, has no disregard whatsoever to what makes a good product. All that matters is what sells. I can't believe how people actually make that a religion.

It has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with what people value. I appreciate Renoir and Truffaut, but many people do not. I can see their films if I seek them out. However, it is not right to say "since these are better than Transformers, we have to keep Transformers out." People have a right to purchase whatever they enjoy, if someone wants to sell it.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

...and what people tend to value now is profit... and not only profit, but profit growth... my last employer considered it a failure if they experienced less than 20% growth from one fiscal year to the next. One of the years I was there they saw 17% growth. They treated this as a "Ooh... too bad! We almost made it! Better luck next year!"
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ewomack View Post
    ...and what people tend to value now is profit... and not only profit, but profit growth... my last employer considered it a failure if they experienced less than 20% growth from one fiscal year to the next. One of the years I was there they saw 17% growth. They treated this as a "Ooh... too bad! We almost made it! Better luck next year!"

Ummm, isn't the whole idea behind starting a business to make profits?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Your example of French cinema perfectly illustrates how the current market, or status quo even, has no disregard whatsoever to what makes a good product. All that matters is what sells. I can't believe how people actually make that a religion.
    Oh really? Does that mean there are no art films out there to be viewed? Is there nothing avante garde? Nothing from the budding African and Middle Eastern film industries? No finished pieces from the great French cinema to rent and watch while I drink a bottle of good Bordeaux all by myself?

French film, like all the others I mentioned, has its place in the market. Your problem is not that film needs a command economy, but rather that most filmgoers are philistines.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Oh really? Does that mean there are no art films out there to be viewed? Is there nothing avante garde? Nothing from the budding African and Middle Eastern film industries? No finished pieces from the great French cinema to rent and watch while I drink a bottle of good Bordeaux all by myself?

French film, like all the others I mentioned, has it's place in the market. Your problem is not that film needs a command economy, but rather that most filmgoers are philistines.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It bothers me that American filmgoers like shitty movies, but I'd never ban Saw V from the theaters. I'd encourage people to watch TCM or to go to a film festival.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ed111 View Post
    What is an anti-personal freedom law?
    The construction of that phrase seems odd, doesn't it. I meant anti-(personal freedom).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ed111 View Post
    In that case, I think he meant 'anti-personnel'.
    Nah, That's if it'd blow anyone's legs off. He mean't you personally
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post

French film, like all the others I mentioned, has its place in the market. Your problem is not that film needs a command economy, but rather that most filmgoers are philistines.
    Since you mention the African and the Middle Eastern film industries, you should notice that those films are almost ALWAYS made thanks to french subsidies. ALWAYS. You can check.

The american movie industry, on the other hand, only seeks to destroy everything that's "non-american". Sadly, it has always behaved this way. They never ever helped a foreign country to develop anything, since they consider that it would be a kind of competition.

They only want to make profits. And that's all.

Truly, there's a gigantic gap between the way France or other European countries consider "Culture", and America. It also explains the tremendous lack of curiosity towards other cultures usually experienced by the average american public.

In France, seeing iranian, spanish, chinese or german films is commonplace.
    In America, the same films often don't even have a chance to be distributed to theaters.

So really, there's nothing to brag about.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Since you mention the African and the Middle Eastern film industries, you should notice that those films are almost ALWAYS made thanks to french subsidies. ALWAYS. You can check.

The american movie industry, on the other hand, only seeks to destroy everything that's "non-american". Sadly, it has always behaved this way. They never ever helped a foreign country to develop anything, since they consider that it would be a kind of competition.

Truly, there's a gigantic gap between the way France or other European countries consider "Culture", and America. It also explains the tremendous lack of curiosity towards other cultures usually experienced by the average american public.

In America, the same films often don't even have a chance to be distributed to theaters.

Oh, I wasn't bragging. Feel free to be all impressed with yourself for being French. You will anyway.

The way I see it, we have a perfectly valid market diversity thing going. The French provide the culturally important films, and the US makes the movies that people actually want to go see. All are freely available for viewing. Does this not expand the filmgoer's freedom of choice? Isn't it a good thing that all kinds of movies are out there to be seen?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    A) That wasn't always so; and B) it doesn't have to be that way. So, you're wrong.

The American studios compete with EACH OTHER most fervently of all! What the hell are you talking about? Not only that, I've seen movies in the theater from Spain, Mexico, Germany, England, France, Japan, South Korea, and Russia within the past three years. I've been to film festivals with movies from Brazil, Senegal, South Africa, Greece, and Italy in the past year, as well.

The United States is the world's #1 consumer of non-American culture, so, again, you're out of your mind. Have you ever been to the United States? You should be embarrassed of yourself right now.