12311 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Obama: I’ll make energy prices “skyrocket”

Link- Hot Air

OMG, is this guy serious!? Obama is claiming he will raise energy prices.

You can see video at the link, heres the transcript copied from the site
    The problem is not technical, uh, and the problem is not mastery of the legislative intricacies of Washington. The problem is, uh, can you get the American people to say, “This is really important,” and force their representatives to do the right thing? That requires mobilizing a citizenry. That requires them understanding what is at stake. Uh, and climate change is a great example.
    You know, when I was asked earlier about the issue of coal, uh, you know — Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket. Even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad. Because I’m capping greenhouse gases, coal power plants, you know, natural gas, you name it — whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, uh, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money on to consumers.
    They — you — you can already see what the arguments will be during the general election. People will say, “Ah, Obama and Al Gore, these folks, they’re going to destroy the economy, this is going to cost us eight trillion dollars,” or whatever their number is. Um, if you can’t persuade the American people that yes, there is going to be some increase in electricity rates on the front end, but that over the long term, because of combinations of more efficient energy usage, changing lightbulbs and more efficient appliance, but also technology improving how we can produce clean energy, the economy would benefit.
    If we can’t make that argument persuasively enough, you — you, uh, can be Lyndon Johnson, you can be the master of Washington. You’re not going to get that done.
    If you want my opinion... hell, I'm sure you know my opinion by now. His plan is lunacy (in a bad way, if that was somehow ambiguous).

Hot Air

This link goes into another part of the interview where Obama says he is going to "bankrupt the coal industry", contrary to his adds saying he will support the coal industry.

So, if somebody wants to build a coal plant, they can — it’s just that it will bankrupt them, because they are going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that’s being emitted.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    OMG, is this guy serious!?
    So, disagree with his argument, or reactive against the "OMG prices will rise"?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

"Mobilizing a citizenry." Listen to the words, voters.

Freedom, or Obamerica. Your choice.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I'm reporting information, not my opinion.
    Oh. In that case, to answer your question, yes - he is serious.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The funny thing is that this speculative sensationalist stuff is not even as bad as the things George W Bush has actually done. After living through 8 years of the worst leadership imaginable you'll have to come up with better stuff than this, lol.

In the case of energy Bush started off with putting Enron in charge of our nation's energy policy. Need I say more?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    In the case of energy Bush started off with putting Enron in charge of our nation's energy policy. Need I say more?

(citation needed)
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The funny thing is that this speculative sensationalist stuff is not even as bad as the things George W Bush has actually done. After living through 8 years of the worst leadership imaginable you'll have to come up with better stuff than this, lol.

I hope Bush isn't obstructing your ability to critically analyze presidential candidates and their policies just because Bush himself was such a bad president. That would be tragic.

MBTI
    XNXP

It's like Plato's old dilemma of "who will oversee the overseers ?"
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't see what's so bad about what Obama said. I disagree with his stance on climate change, but he didn't say he was going to impose anything without the support of the people. And he'll have a really hard time convincing people that they need to pay more for electricity.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

"Uh, uhm, you know, ..., --" :P.

Interesting statements he made about forcing representatives to act and "mobilizing citizenry."

If electricity prices go up, then doesn't everything else fall apart? :/

"They would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money on to consumers."

They don't pass that money on to consumers, they pass the cost on to consumers.

Just what we need, more overhead.

But this is always what happens: people blame the current president (Bush) for the poor economic policies of the previous administration (Clinton), which have just become apparent at the bottom levels. Of course, Bush was also bad, but it wasn't all his fault. (The war sucks, though.)