User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 136

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    No, he should choose him because he's the lesser of two evils who happens to share the same skin color. I don't know about most of you, but I am thrilled that we may be the first country to have a black man as our leader.
    You're backtracking. You would look better if you admitted you spoke (and thought) out of hand, and apologized. Not to me.

  2. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    No, he should choose him because he's the lesser of two evils who happens to share the same skin color. I don't know about most of you, but I am thrilled that we may be the first country to have a black man as our leader.
    You didn't say that part before. That's why it was racist. It's true that it reflects well on the progress we've made that we can elect a black man as president. But to apply that hope to a specific man and make it a factor in your vote smacks of racism to me.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  3. #63
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    What do you mean? Let's say, even with people paying no income tax, that we measure all that is given to charities. You honestly think this could give everyone a roof over there head (in accordance with the "people will freeze" example), give everyone health care, education.... everything that the charities in existence give you, that that would be enough for everyone? It's not anywhere close to that right now, even if people had no income tax, it wouldn't come close.

    When you read "charity would be sufficient", what do you picture?
    Less people would freeze than freeze now. More people would be able to afford shelter, education, health care. THAT is the point. I never said that poverty would be gone. It would be better than what we have now, though. Americans already give a larger portion of their incomes away than do citizens of any other country. Do you honestly think that would change if they had MORE money than they do now? And do you honestly believe that the majority of people who are homeless are on the streets just because capitalism is so rough that they can't make ends meet? I can guarantee you that's not true.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #64
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think you missed the point by a wide margin. Would you feel better if I said "horse-based mail delivery?" The Pony Express was a handy instance of a service that has no relevance today. Societies and economies evolve and jobs are rendered obsolete. I daresay that no matter how cheaply it was done, there would be no place for the Pony Express today.
    I agree with that, but it still was a bad example. There are unintended consequences when the government is a major player in subsidies for many industries. Crowding out does occur.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #65
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    You're backtracking. You would look better if you admitted you spoke (and thought) out of hand, and apologized. Not to me.
    I'll apologize to Risen if he'll apologize to Barack and his supporters for calling his plan lunacy. I find his words offensive and not at all logical.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  6. #66
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I'll apologize to Risen if he'll apologize to Barack for calling his plan lunacy. I find it offensive and not logical at all.
    Or... I can just group you with Obama's energy plans under the category of lunacy, and you can keep your apology and stuff it in your soon to be empty wallet in place of the money stolen by the capable hands of Barack Obama.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Or... I can just group you with Obama's energy plans under the category of lunacy, and you can keep your apology and stuff it in your soon to be empty wallet in place of money stolen by the capable hands of Barack Obama.
    *low five* (for subtlety)

  8. #68
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Or... I can just group you with Obama's energy plans under the category of lunacy, and you can keep your apology and stuff it in your soon to be empty wallet in place of the money stolen by the capable hands of Barack Obama.
    So what do you suggest we do, keep drilling? I don't know what tax bracket you fall under but if you're like a lot young people who don't earn much money and/or are in college, possibly with no health insurance (assuming that's you), you'll fare better with Obama than with the Republicans.

    As far as my original post in this thread, yes it's true I should have clarified that he is in my mind extremely qualified and happens to share your skin color so it strikes me as odd that you don't support him. I am not alone in this thought either.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  9. #69
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Do you honestly think that would change if they had MORE money than they do now?
    There is no guarantee they would have more money. Europeans are almost as wealthy as Americans, and economic mobility is slighter more attainable there, as studies have shown.

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    And do you honestly believe that the majority of people who are homeless are on the streets just because capitalism is so rough that they can't make ends meet? I can guarantee you that's not true.
    Most are homeless because of psychiatric disorders, if it had to be pinned on just one thing. Things like food stamps help. Public and private homeless/emergency shelters help.

  10. #70
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Also aren't you black? If so then I think it's crazy that here is an exceptional opportunity for our country to have the first black president are you're possibly voting for Grandpa?
    Wow, so he's supposed to vote for Obama because he's black. Jack is right, you are a racist and you don't even realize it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. "Green" Energy Fails To Make The Grade
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-25-2017, 12:40 AM
  2. what mental illnesses make people harder to type
    By prplchknz in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 12:40 AM
  3. Moving the furniture in. Making the place cozy.
    By Brendan in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 02:52 AM
  4. Geoff makes obligatory welcome thread
    By Geoff in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO