12 Last

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Default Fear in Politics

I know this is The Daily Show, so it does have a bit of a bias, but it's fairly even handed and worth watching even for the McCain supporters:

Obama and Palin Rallies of Fear | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

It was surprising to me to see that both sides are genuinely afraid of the other candidate, fearing one or the other will destroy America. I mean, everyone wants what is best for America, yet too many of us avoid having an intelligent conversation on the merits and disadvantages of each candidate. Instead, we make simplifications, exaggerations, and lies on what the other guy will do.

Yet, I can't help but to wonder - if so many people are afraid the other will screw the country over, isn't that a sign that something is terribly wrong? What's going on here? Should we really be afraid of either candidate, or should we really be afraid of both?

What are your thoughts?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Negative campaigning is unfortunate when it distorts the facts.

One thing I try to use as a reality check is whether or not my reaction to a particular candidate is completely positive or negative. If it is, then it's worth re-examining since either absolute is highly unlikely and often results from that fear and rant sort of thinking. It is true that a candidate can have more strengths or flaws, but I try to see at least some of both to attempt fair thinking. Of the four President/VP candidates I only fell into the primarily negative reaction on one, which I am giving a second evaluation because of it.

I don't think it helps to focus on fear, but on being informed which is a continual process even after the election is over.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    It was surprising to me to see that both sides are genuinely afraid of the other candidate, fearing one or the other will destroy America.
    I believe the past 8 years have demonstrated that there is real reason to be afraid of an unqualified candidate. As such, the presence of fear in itself is IMO not enough to show that someone has a distorted view of a candidate. You have to look at the reasons.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

It's a very real and well deserved fear. People will grow ever more uneasy and distrustful towards our government and the power system that is currently in place. with what is to come people will finally wake up and realize just how far out of our hands the government has grown, and just how much power people who are not even a part of our government hold. You should be scared of both candidates, for they will both be subject to the same driving forces that so few are yet willing to accept the existance of. History and the present has shown, as it always will, that when the people keep their heads burried in the sand, our backs are wide exposed and abused.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I believe the past 8 years have demonstrated that there is real reason to be afraid of an unqualified candidate.
    The problem with this is that it can be difficult to determine if someone will be a qualified candidate. In 2000 George W Bush looked like a decent candidate on paper. He also comes across as fairly likable, so that can't be used as a criteria either. So once you throw out both experience and charisma as ways to determine if someone will make a good president then what is left? It doesn't seem like there is an easy way to determine if someone will make a good candidate.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The problem with this is that it can be difficult to determine if someone will be a qualified candidate. In 2000 George W Bush looked like a decent candidate on paper. He also comes across as fairly likable, so that can't be used as a criteria either. So once you throw out both experience and charisma as ways to determine if someone will make a good president then what is left? It doesn't seem like there is an easy way to determine if someone will make a good candidate.
    Agreed.

The mindset is caused by both sides triggering the "us or them". It's no different than any other 'Robbers camp' situation.

MBTI
    ISTx

A certain level of fear is healthy. Ignorant fear won't do any good, but if you become too comfortable and too trusting, that's an opportunity for the bag to be put over your head. Consider the worst.

MBTI
    INTJ

It doesn't seem like there is an easy way to determine if someone will make a good candidate.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Agreed.
    I agree that candidates can end up surprising people both positively and negatively, but does the thought of Sarah Palin ascending to the presidency really not make you guys gulp?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I agree that candidates can end up surprising people both positively and negatively, but does the thought of Sarah Palin ascending to the presidency really not make you guys gulp?
    I think she is ignorant of national issues, but I don't think she's stupid. Ultimately I think she'd make a better president than Bush, but that's not saying much. Maybe the past eight years have desensitized me to bad leadership.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

I think she is ignorant of national issues, but I don't think she's stupid. Ultimately I think she'd make a better president than Bush
    You're just saying that because she can see Russia from her house.