User Tag List

12 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default GM + Chrysler = ?

Opinions on the GM/Chrysler merger?

The past few years have been tough on the US auto industry and a lot of auto workers have already lost thier jobs or thier pensions. The new merger doesn't promise a brighter future at all. Workers in the towns near where I grew up have already been informed that they are going to lose thier jobs- this is concern worthy since we're speaking of towns that were completely built around the auto industry. This merger will make the already bad local economies even worse.

I'd like to hear what other people have to say on this issue as well though

** please- no references to Muslims being evil, the evils of religion or Obama being satan incarnate in this thread- there are plenty of threads to discuss that in OTHER than this one!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Gyslerm
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Gyslerm
    I'm sure your employers are thrilled that they hired such a deeply thoughtful and intelligent employee.

On a more content-related note:
    Is there any chance of the towns taht were auto-focused turning into electric-auto focused? Or is that too separate from the traditional auto industry? I remember hearing a half-decade ago that the atuo industry would take a hit becuase it wasn't forward-thinking.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I'm sure your employers are thrilled that they hired such a deeply thoughtful and intelligent employee.

On a more content-related note:
    Is there any chance of the towns taht were auto-focused turning into electric-auto focused? Or is that too separate from the traditional auto industry? I remember hearing a half-decade ago that the atuo industry would take a hit becuase it wasn't forward-thinking.
    Seems like the companies (Toyota, Honda..) that are working on electric and hybrid technology the most and are already dominating the hybrid market aren't based in America.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

This is how it's supposed to work. GM and Chrysler have failed to meet consumer demand, so they've become unprofitable. It's too bad for the employees, but that's life and a good example of unions costing people jobs. Instead of being able to reduce wages, which is what should be happening, the Big Three have to layoff thousands. Unions are killing the golden goose.

At least now these employees should be moving to a more profitable sector of the economy. What would be nice is if the government would make it easier for new auto companies to start up. Unfortunately, unions and suffocating regulations make it so expensive that no American companies will ever be able to challenge the Big Three (or Two), domestically. If this trend continues, we'll eventually have no American automakers.

People complain about manufacturing jobs going out of the country, but look at what we do to the ones that stay. We rape them. If we want manufacturing jobs to stay in the US, we have to make it viable, economically. And higher tariffs are not the solution.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    xNTJ

Honestly, with unions being such a large part of manufacturing jobs, there's no way that I would keep that job in this country. But I admit my bias; I hate unions. IME, they exist to protect the guy who has worked there the longest.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Seems like the companies (Toyota, Honda..) that are working on electric and hybrid technology the most and are already dominating the hybrid market aren't based in America.
    A lot of those cars are built here, though. Our Big Three have major, major structural problems that have nothing to do with how many hybrid/electric/FlexFuel cars they have. Also, GM is one of the world leaders in electric car technology. Fully electric cars aren't very popular yet, but new high-performance ones are starting to sell to the very wealthy end of environmentally conscious consumers.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Opinions on the GM/Chrysler merger?
    Just when I though GM couldn't get any worse....
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

Won't happen without funding, and since the Feds said no.... who will?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    Honestly, with unions being such a large part of manufacturing jobs, there's no way that I would keep that job in this country. But I admit my bias; I hate unions. IME, they exist to protect the guy who has worked there the longest.
    It's only gonna get worse under a new administration. I wonder how the automotive industry will cope with the expansion of worker unions even farther beyond what it is already.