MBTI
    INTJ

Default Why do you support Obama?

I'm genuinely curious. Please avoid use of:

he's not McCain
    he's not a Republican
    he must be better than Bush
    he's charismatic/young/black/etc

The overwhelming majority of people I know support Obama but it's pretty much only based on the above list. I'm curious about other reasons why people support him. Political history? Economic stance? Etc
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm so tempted to say that it's because he's an Arabian terrorist who kills babies, which of course I wholeheartedly support, but that's probably sarcasm this thread doesn't need right now.

I'll give reasons that some might consider fluffy:

I watch what people do and listen to what they say, then try to draw some big-picture conclusions about them. I can appreciate people with radically different views, if I can understand their thinking and see positive motivation in them; and I'm more apt to not judge someone on a particular issue but by who they are and what qualities they bring to the decision making process.

I think he's optimistic in a realistic way, he thinks carefully through things before making decisions or taking risks, he listens to opposing views and could argue them if necessary even if he disagrees with them, he works to build consensus when possible, he's inclusive and not exclusive, he naturally focuses more on what he wants to accomplish rather than constantly just trying to show up the other guy as negative without offering a real vision, he understands pain (growing up without his father, watching his mother die from cancer), he's thoughtful, he loves his family and invests himself in his kids, he's not afraid to be out front, he's willing to be a leader and accept a continual stream of potshots and sometimes ridiculous allegations from others without being too distracted by it, he's someone who is well-suited to stabilize the current upheavals in American society as well as putting on a reputable front for dealing with other countries.... should I go on?

But basically, I think he's got a good heart and a good mind, and he's got a vision for what America could be, and he's asking people to invest in their own futures and making opportunities for that. He'll figure out what to do as he goes.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm so tempted to say that it's because he's an Arabian terrorist who kills babies, which of course I wholeheartedly support, but that's probably sarcasm this thread doesn't need right now.
    I like him because he steals people's hard-earned money.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Because I'm a center-left social democrat, and the policy he supports aligns with that fairly closely. I believe he is an intelligent and capable person, with a good calm and rational temperament. Concerning foreign affairs, I believe he will be able to work well with other nations, Europe apparently already loves him.

MBTI
    INTJ

I may have worded this badly to sound anti-Obama but I chose him because he appears to have significantly more supporters. I think the vast majority of people can't support their political choices logically in either party.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP

Well, I'll be blunt: because he intends to flip the tax code back where it ought to be, is intelligent enough to not look like a weaselly douche when the topic deviates from his carefully prepared and sanitized statements, and is a good enough politician to remain above-the-belt as he goes toe to toe with an opponent who does not, who in fact couldn't spell "Honor" if it was phonetically parsed out on his teleprompter, and still come out on top.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

We all got it comin' kid Delilah's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Here is one reason

Obama - Biden tax calculator
    *clinging to my face like a starfish of love* ....... PinkPiranha

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    ... Europe apparently already loves him.
    It's a trap!

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Here is one reason

Obama - Biden tax calculator
    Wow! I like him even more now
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

We all got it comin' kid Delilah's Avatar