User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

heart on fire

RE: the OP. Voting for a candidate these days with the choices we're given is often a far cry from whole-hearted support.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm merely choosing the candidate I dislike less
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm so tempted to say that it's because he's an Arabian terrorist who kills babies, which of course I wholeheartedly support, but that's probably sarcasm this thread doesn't need right now.

I'll give reasons that some might consider fluffy:

I watch what people do and listen to what they say, then try to draw some big-picture conclusions about them. I can appreciate people with radically different views, if I can understand their thinking and see positive motivation in them; and I'm more apt to not judge someone on a particular issue but by who they are and what qualities they bring to the decision making process.

I think he's optimistic in a realistic way, he thinks carefully through things before making decisions or taking risks, he listens to opposing views and could argue them if necessary even if he disagrees with them, he works to build consensus when possible, he's inclusive and not exclusive, he naturally focuses more on what he wants to accomplish rather than constantly just trying to show up the other guy as negative without offering a real vision, he understands pain (growing up without his father, watching his mother die from cancer), he's thoughtful, he loves his family and invests himself in his kids, he's not afraid to be out front, he's willing to be a leader and accept a continual stream of potshots and sometimes ridiculous allegations from others without being too distracted by it, he's someone who is well-suited to stabilize the current upheavals in American society as well as putting on a reputable front for dealing with other countries.... should I go on?

But basically, I think he's got a good heart and a good mind, and he's got a vision for what America could be, and he's asking people to invest in their own futures and making opportunities for that. He'll figure out what to do as he goes.
    Bingo! Put Jennifer and Eileen's posts together and that pretty much sums it up for me.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    enfp

i like obama because he's as close as you can get to bill clinton. i want the roaring 90's back. minus all the hedonism.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    i like obama because he's as close as you can get to bill clinton. i want the roaring 90's back. minus all the hedonism.
    1.) The "roaring 90's" were made possible because of Clinton's policy of triangulating the Republican congress, and more generally due to the dynamics of a divided government (my favorite kind). Before that, Clinton attempted to pursue other, potentially ruinous policies. There was also the dot.com bubble, and it would be unwise to count on a similar economic boost this time around.

2.) Obama's strongest base of support, after the black vote, is the "progressive" wing of the Democratic party, many of whom seem to despise the centrist Democratic Leadership Council as some sort of treacherous fifth column-much as certain elements within the Republican party dislike the so-called RHINOs. If Obama is as sincere as his supporters seem to think he is, his policy preferences will be quite different from Clinton's. For instance, Obama has been highly critical of NAFTA, and free trade in general.

Bottom line, he is quite different from Clinton. I wouldn't expect them to govern in a similar manner.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I think that people in the US are not fully aware of what the rest of the world thinks about the candidates.
    Why would you think that?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Bottom line, he is quite different from Clinton. I wouldn't expect them to govern in a similar manner.
    if i had to choose between the 90's and this decade. i'd choose the 90s. Most of Barack's advisor's were Clinton's advisors. That really does mean a lot. I think he will be pretty centrist. You are going to be surprised.

eventually economic data does show that a divided congress is best for the economy. and a democratic president is better for the economy historically, but a divided house is best. im sure it will get there in 2 years. but not now. there must be punishment for misbehavior now. Once things get back to normal, Pre Bush, people will vote back in at least house or senate based on more normal times type of issues. But for now the miscreants of the past 8 years gotta be punished!

if u don't hold people accountable for thier mistakes, they will do it again. thats more important at this point for the long term future. you must punish misbehavior of politicians.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Why would you think that?
    Well, for us Europeans, the choice is quite obvious, very easy. When we look at the candidates's political programs and compare them to our own European parties, we immediately notice that Republican's ideas are quite similar to our far right.

Thus, MacCain's popularity is similar to our own far right, and that means: very low (between 6-10%).

In France, Obama would be considered a moderate conservative, while Bush and MacCain would both be stuck into our "reactionary right", close to neo-fascists. And indeed, only our own neo-fascist activists openly claim to support MacCain.

I'm not exaggerating, it's plain facts.

---

So don't be surprized with the numbers these polls show.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Blackmail, as I quoted above, my question was "Why would you think Americans aren't aware of that?"
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Blackmail, as I quoted above, my question was "Why would you think Americans aren't aware of that?"
    (OK)

And you, what do you think?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI