User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTP

There are other reasons, but I'll just pick one.

I absolutely love how Obama calls the Republicans on their campaign bullshit the way Kerry and Gore didn't. When he said in his nomination acceptance speech:

"They make a big election about small things."

I shouted "YES!!!" It had been that way since 2000 if not before, and it was obvious to anyone who had paid attention, but it needed to be said, and he said it. Barack Obama speaks for me.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Here are a few reasons:

I like his stances on several issues including his tax plan and his views on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

He is intelligent, open minded, and isn't afraid to say what he thinks even if it isn't conventional wisdom. Early in the primaries reporters would try to catch him in a policy gaffe, and then later they realized he was right and just a bit ahead of everyone else.

He wants to get Americans more involved in the political process.

I believe he is exceptionally talented as a political leader. He is an extremely persuasive communicator, and can listen to different points of view. These are very valuable skills in politics.

He has kept a fairly cool head during this financial crisis. I want my Chief Executive to be a clear thinker in a crisis.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

i like where he stands on many social issues. I would also like to have a 4000 credit towards college, that would be great and affordable health care would also be amazing.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

From his work as a community organizer, he actually learned how hard it is for people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and knows we need fundamental change if people are to have a chance in this country. Dreams from My Father lays out how he realized he needed a law degree and more if he was going to make a significant difference.

He sees fighting as a further-down-the-list option when diplomacy fails.

When made President of the Harvard Law Review after a fierce struggle, he actually put more conservatives on the top editorial staff than his cronies. That bodes well for avoiding the "Groupthink" mentality that has surrounded the advisers of our Current Occupant of the White House.

He's actually thought through what/who made him what he is and is grateful.

He made a solid choice for Vice President who has enough experience to take the lead if tragedy strikes.

His multicultural upbringing bodes well for understanding various points of view.

If we are to improve our standing with the rest of the world, which I believe is at an all-time low and serves as a huge threat to national security as more and more people are brought up to hate us, we need to show a fundamental change in leadership direction.

I could actually go on quite a bit more...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    ISTP

What's people's take on the difference between "supporting Obama" and simply voting for the better candidate, given the options... I see a large difference - I can't say I support him, but I would say I would vote for him...

For those supporting his stances, which is it, really?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    What's people's take on the difference between "supporting Obama" and simply voting for the better candidate, given the options... I see a large difference - I can't say I support him, but I would say I would vote for him...

For those supporting his stances, which is it, really?
    I support him, have read his books before he started campaigning, and think he at least will be a leader who is willing to listen and learn and seek out other opinions as well as inspire in ways that people in this country need to be inspired if things are ever going to get better...
    edcoaching

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's a trap!

I think that people in the US are not fully aware of what the rest of the world thinks about the candidates.

Here is one short video about it.

Pay attention to percentages.

Europe wants Obama to win

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Seriously, there are plenty of reasons why someone might reasonably vote for Obama. Here's a list.

1. He favors giving tax cuts to the middle class, rather than to corporations and the wealthy.
    2. He sees health care as a basic right.
    3. He is socially liberal, while also being (for the most part) pretty reasonable and moderate (for example, he is pro choice but makes the excellent point that it's important to work towards solutions that minimize abortions).
    4. He has an actual energy plan besides "drill baby drill" (which is no real energy plan at all).
    5. He wants to give tuition credits to college students in exchange for public service. This is fabulous.
    6. He is actually for performance accountability for teachers, which will incidentally do a hell of a lot more for education than throwing money at the problem, though money is important too.
    7. In terms of his character, he has excellent judgment. To extend that, I believe that his good judgment will result in him absolutely surrounding himself with the smartest, most reasonable, most qualified people in America to support and help him as he leads.
    8. America's moral standing in the world will improve with the election of Barack Obama, and it fucking matters that the rest of the world sees America as reasonable and honorable. It matters for our national security.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I'm genuinely curious. Please avoid use of:

he's not McCain
    he's not a Republican
    he must be better than Bush
    he's charismatic/young/black/etc

The overwhelming majority of people I know support Obama but it's pretty much only based on the above list. I'm curious about other reasons why people support him. Political history? Economic stance? Etc
    The Republican Waspies think the world is black and white.
    Even if it were so, you should have to negotiate with the black every now and then.
    The white does not win because it is white.

You cannot win the Taliban. Why? Because it is not the Taliban, it is the ethnic background where they belong. The Patsu.
    What is the problem in Pakistan? Again, it is the Patsu.
    It so happens Afghanistan and Pakistan are multi-nation entities. Take heed.

The Taleban are just schoolboys. Originally, and in ground, and in name, they are the Patsu students of the Koran.

Obama has seen the world beyond those places where the Jews and the African Americans have no permission to enter.
    Beyond the Waspie Country Club.

It is a high time an African American becomes the President of the United States.

You see the connection?

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Why do you support Obama?
    He seems to embody most of the qualities we need in a President.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org