First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Okay.

"McCain rules, and Obama can suck it!"

Whew. There's a coherent opinon. I was getting worried about you there, Jack.

Get out the vote, Eileen, just GET OUT!
    I done got it out. The damage has been done in NC!
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I done got it out. The damage has been done in NC!
    You should see the damage, bronze!

MBTI
    INTj

Go Nader!
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTP

See, now you're just needlessly extrapolating.
    I note that you didn't answer my question. Thus, I am needfully extrapolating. And honestly? I can't think of another reason you'd want to compare them so often. And I'm an INTP, I'm GOOD at thinking of other reasons. Want to do a post count of the number of times you've done it?

Further, what exactly is the fear that Obama is mongering? Fear of raising your taxes to where they should have been for the last 8 years if you're well into six figures?

McCain, on the other hand, has called me a terrorist-lover, anti-american, and all but ordered me to move to Russia. His followers have SPIT AT MY DAUGHTER because he's whipped them into such a fucking frenzy. YES I mean actual bodily fluid leaving physical lips and spattering on concrete at her feet. I have not put an Obama sticker on my car because I'm literally afraid for my safety, my FLESH AND BLOOD SAFETY if I do. He holds half of this country in utter contempt and encourages his supporters to do the same...Obama has said NOTHING like this, his followers are NOT demanding McCain's death at his rallies, even in your wildest spins.

You yourself, Jack, have spat nothing but bile and vicious remarks since the beginning, and that is exactly what McCain has done. There is far, far too much hatred in him for him to be leading the most powerful military on Earth.

Then again, it could all be lies, but you certainly don't seem to think they are. Should I believe him?

Forget it, don't bother answering, I am done with this thread.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Did you think Hitler overran the Reichstag with Panzers, or what? Of course he won in a free, democratic election. :rolli:

If you are referring to the fact that he did not have an overwhelming majority, which forced the conservative party to ally with him, okay. But he did *indeed* come into power through fully democratic measures.

He learned after the failed Putsch of '23 that he had dare not try to overtake the government through force.
    :rolli: You live in Germany, you should know this.

The best Hitler himself did was 36.8% against Hindenburg's 53%. The conservative party didn't "ally" with him, he was appointed Chancellor by Hindenburg after Papen's incompetent five-month run and huge Nazi agitation.

Hitler did come to power through fully democratic means, even if you discount all the killings and agitation, I'm not saying any differently. But he was never elected by the German people to a single position of power. That makes about as much sense as saying Condoleeza Rice was elected Secretary of State. Point is, Carlin should have used a real example and I'm done with this.
    No offense.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
    McCain, on the other hand, has called me a terrorist-lover, anti-american, and all but ordered me to move to Russia. His followers have SPIT AT MY DAUGHTER because he's whipped them into such a fucking frenzy. YES I mean actual bodily fluid leaving physical lips and spattering on concrete at her feet.
    What were you doing at the time?

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Comparisons between Obama and Hitler are lame, alarmist bullshit. All they have in common is charisma.
    STOP COMPARING OBAMA AND HITLER.
    Dude, I never compared Obama and Hitler....That's about as retarded as...well, I don't know what's as retarded.

What I WANTED to say was a critique on the electoral PROCESS - NOT the people involved.

In other words, I'm not voting because it's a waste of my precious time and money. I'm not going to pay 100 euros to go to the freaking consulate and register for an absentee ballot or whatever....And even if I could write a letter and get one, I wouldn't because it's meaningless anyway. Besides, I don't even live there anymore, don't feel American, and don't even really like the country or the people (which is why I left) so why the hell should I vote?

On top of that, I loved what Carlin had to say. Everyone praises the hell out of the electoral process. But he criticises its supposed positive elements by illustrating that Hitler was elected through a fully democratic electoral process. So don't think that the electoral process in and of itself is a guarantee of freedom.

In addition, I love his comment about people who complain and voting. Pure genius!!!

In short, let's all give a protest vote by staying the hell home. Or even better - going to the polls and electing Mickey Mouse. Imagine if over 50% of the population voted for Mickey Mouse. Dude, that would be *awesome*. Then America can officially have a falsetto rodent in charge - instead of always inofficially.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by 6sticks View Post
    :rolli: You live in Germany, you should know this.

The best Hitler himself did was 36.8% against Hindenburg's 53%. The conservative party didn't "ally" with him, he was appointed Chancellor by Hindenburg after Papen's incompetent five-month run and huge Nazi agitation.

Hitler did come to power through fully democratic means, even if you discount all the killings and agitation, I'm not saying any differently. But he was never elected by the German people to a single position of power. That makes about as much sense as saying Condoleeza Rice was elected Secretary of State. Point is, Carlin should have used a real example and I'm done with this.
    Dude, I KNOW!!! God, stop pulling straws just to prove a point that doesn't matter. IF you knew *anything* about the German electoral process, coalitions are often made. If Hitler had not been popular and if he had not received such a high percentage of the vote, he would not have been asked to become chancellor. At that time, the chancellor is not what the chancellor of Germany is today. The chancellor was essentially a post that was a position in the cabinet that the President appointed people to. In essence it's no different than the president of the United States appointing someone to be secretary of state. We also don't consider this to be 'undemocratic' just because people don't VOTE for the secretary of state because they VOTED for the president.

Now if you want to argue that it was incorrect that German businesses put ideas into Hindenburg's head or that it was incorrect that Papen tried to ally people against Schleicher, or that the SA should not have intimidated the opposition so much, I would probably agree. These factors should not have influenced Hindenburg so much. BUT Hindenburg was democratically elected, and he democratically appointed Hitler to power.

The mistake was that the conservative elements believed that they could eat their cake and have it too. Essentially, they wanted to gain Hitler's supporters by appointing him Chancellor (like, "Yeah, whatever, this crazy dude just needs some position so that we can his supporters under our umbrella and get some stability around here.") and just control him ( to shut him up - "Here doggy, come get a bone.") and get the populace in their favor.

After the Reichstag fire, essentially they declared their version of martial law (which again is only slightly different from the United States - think about it, we have invoked martial law several times democratically). On March 6 of 1930, they did INDEED gain the largest percent of the vote, but not enough to rule because you need an absolute majority (at least together with a coalition partner). So they still needed those bloody conservatives. They did not freaking go in there with machine guns and say, "Okay, Hindenburg, you're leaving, pal." After Hindenburg died of natural causes, Hitler's cabinet and legislature passed a law (democratically) that combined the presidency and the chancellorship, making him dictator.

THIS ALL HAPPENED THROUGH DEMOCRATIC PROCESSES. The law was passed through their version of a 'Congress' and that was that.

So essentially a democracy can kill itself through its very processes.

AND THAT WAS MY POINT. Just because you have a nice little election system that is too long, requires too much money, and really doesn't matter anyway along with your little Congress with the Senate and House does NOT mean that it guarantees freedom.

So now shut up unless you know what you're talking about.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think we should keep going, by all means. I was being ironical toward Eileen because she kinda contradicted herself.
    I suppose reading part of the thread may have been helpful.
    we fukin won boys

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

So seriously, does anyone want to buy my vote? I'll take a vid of me pressing the buttons/pulling levers... whatever goes on in there, so you can be assured I voted to your favor.

$30.
    we fukin won boys