• I'm not a US citizen and I wouldn't vote

4 4.55%
First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That is a pretty biased statement.
    Perhaps, but...

In precinct 55-B on Columbus' near east side, there were 1,338 registered voters and, according to Franklin County Board of Elections estimates, 956 active voters who had voted in the last two federal elections. Despite voter registration being up 17%, and by the BOE's own guidelines the polling place requiring ten machines (one per 100 voters), the polling site had only three machines, one less than for the 2000 elections.

The Election Protection Coalition that visited the voting site between 7:30-8:30 a.m. documented a dozen people leaving the polls, six to go to work and six who were either elderly or handicapped. But things were worse in other areas of Columbus.

In precinct 1-B where there were 1,620 registered voters, a 27% increase in voter registration, the precinct had five voting machines in 2000 and only three in 2004. Where did they go? Out to Republican enclaves like Canal Winchester, where two machines were added since 2000, for a total of five to service 1,255 registered voters? Or were they re-routed to Dublin 2-G where 1,656 registered voters apparently needed six machines, twice the number of Columbus' 1-B?
    (Source -- admittedly biased, but these appear to be verifiable facts.)

A lot of the problems occur at the local level, so these poor precincts would be affected by problems caused by overwhelmingly Democratic poll workers. Also, union members are known to intimidate people into voting for specific candidates in primaries, and then for whichever Democrat is on the ballot in general elections. Don't be such a Kool-Aid drinker.
    I don't question that union intimidation exists, but it does not create long lines in polling places or otherwise block people from voting.

Maybe I misunderstand how much election adminstration is done by the state and how much is done by localities. If it's all local, then it's just like the public schools -- the poor communities get the shaft because of their lower tax base.

But I am deeply suspicious of Republicans. Lee Atwater, Karl Rove, and his disciples push every little edge they can get -- fair and unfair. The potential Democratic vote is a sleeping giant, and the Republicans know it. This election is when it wakes up.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Of course I knew it, it's just one of those arguments that can be further reduced to "Life has no point, therefore everything we say or do is useless."

Uh, right. I'll just slowly back away now.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It doesn't seem to matter how much prep time precincts get, they're NEVER "prepared for the extra voters."

Then again, having local gov fund election machines and the like creates for some large imbalances in wealthy versus poor counties.
    Heh, there are a lot of mechanisms in place designed to give the little guy a harder time. For example I interviewed with the U.S. Census Bureau several years ago (around '99), and their big issue at the time was trying to get Congress approve a new method of taking the census.

They can show that the current method consistently underrepresents minorities, especially African Americans. (For males they can compare their numbers to Selective Service numbers.) They have a sampling method which is easier to use and much more accurate, but Congress will not legally allow them to use it. The result is that areas with a lot of minorities get screwed over in a lot of ways: not enough voting areas, fewer Representatives in Congress, less Federal funding for certain programs, etc....
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Very appropriate metaphor, Noahfence. I also think an Obama presidency will end in disaster.

I voted McCain (I forget whether I already mentioned that).
    Out of curiosity, did you think a Bush presidency would end in disaster four years ago, and do you now think the Bush presidency is ending in disaster?
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Perhaps, but...

(Source -- admittedly biased, but these appear to be verifiable facts.)
    The "election was stolen" stuff is really, really old. I have gone on record multiple times stating my belief that voter fraud and voter intimidation do exist, but both sides are engaged in it. The 2000 presidential election was settled in a constitutionally satisfactory way. There will always be people who disagree, but most are more offended that their guy didn't win, as opposed to the possible corruption of a free and fair election. I am all in favor of greater transparency and harsher penalties for breaking the rules. Unfortunately, relying on the government to handle anything means that some things will go wrong every time, and elections are something that only the government can run. So, there will always be problems. There should be no problems with getting ballot machines anywhere in this country, but our government likes to spend money elsewhere, like paying tobacco farmers to grow tobacco, and then paying directors to make anti-smoking commercials. Democracy in action!

I don't question that union intimidation exists, but it does not create long lines in polling places or otherwise block people from voting.
    I would argue that having thugs out to "persuade" the voting public blocks people from voting. Or, at least, it could block them from voting the way they'd otherwise like. That's why I am so firmly against the card-check BS that many unions and Democratic politicians want to institute in the U.S. All of these ballots should be secret and free.

Maybe I misunderstand how much election adminstration is done by the state and how much is done by localities. If it's all local, then it's just like the public schools -- the poor communities get the shaft because of their lower tax base.

But I am deeply suspicious of Republicans. Lee Atwater, Karl Rove, and his disciples push every little edge they can get -- fair and unfair. The potential Democratic vote is a sleeping giant, and the Republicans know it. This election is when it wakes up.
    I couldn't tell you about the budgeting for elections district by district, but I have seen the administration of elections in both a major East Coast urban area (rabidly Democratic), and in a Republican machine suburban area (yes, they still exist in some places). Generally, the people are party hacks, they are not particularly intelligent, and I wouldn't put voter fraud past them, especially the lower the level and profile of the office. And, of course, they get certified by the state or commonwealth's secretary of state, who is either elected (in a partisan election) or appointed (by a partisan governor).

Also, I think you are overestimating the Democratic vote. For many reasons, they should be the dominant party in this day and age, but they will never have a permanent or semi-permanent majority, because cultural and demographic realities state that many voting-age people who would most likely vote Democratic either cannot register, will never bother to register, or do not follow politics enough to vote when it comes time to do it. Also, neither party is ever successful enough for a long enough period of time that swing voters become committed party loyalists. Do you know how many Americans voted for Nixon, then for Carter, and then for Reagan? Or for Reagan and then for Clinton?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you think a Bush presidency would end in disaster four years ago, and do you now think the Bush presidency is ending in disaster?
    Heh, when Bush won the last election I cried... and then I thought 'Well, now he has four more years to lay in the bed he has made and finish the job, he can't just walk away from it."
    Embrace the possibilities.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Time to quote Carlin:

[YOUTUBE="efKguI0NFek"]George Carlin on Voting[/YOUTUBE]

“The next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election.”

"You may have noticed that there's one thing I don't complain about: Politicians. Everybody complains about politicians. Everybody says, "They suck". But where do people think these politicians come from? They don't fall out of the sky. They don't pass through a membrane from another reality. No, they come from American homes, American families, American schools, American churches, American businesses, and they're elected by American voters. This is the best we can do, folks. It's what our system produces: Garbage in, garbage out."

“I don't vote. Two reasons. First of all it's meaningless; this country was bought and sold a long time ago. The shit they shovel around every 4 years *pfff* doesn't mean a fucking thing. Secondly, I believe if you vote, you have no right to complain. People like to twist that around – they say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain', but where's the logic in that? If you vote and you elect dishonest, incompetent people into office who screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You caused the problem; you voted them in; you have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote, who in fact did not even leave the house on election day, am in no way responsible for what these people have done and have every right to complain about the mess you created that I had nothing to do with.”
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
    I don't think Bush is responsible for the economic meltdown, nor do I think Kerry would have done anything to prevent it-did he have a history of standing up to Barney Frank? The damage done by the Iraqi invasion was already "sunk costs" in 2004; a Kerry presidency would probably not have implemented the "surge" strategy, without which Iraq probably WOULD have ended in disaster. Overall, my presidential and Senate votes are determined by Judicial appointments, and Bush has been MUCH more satisfactory in that regard than than any Federalist Society-hating Democrat I could name.

In any event, the recent financial meltdown and the Iraq war are short-term problems; creating huge new "entitlement" programs and appointing lifetime-tenured judges with judicial philosophies unencumbered by constitutional boundaries (especially when coupled with legislators who consider constitutional parameters an obstacle to "break through" rather than something to be thankful for) will create long-term problems that will be difficult to solve after short-term majority opinion has run its course. If the Republicans end up with filibuster numbers in the Senate, I won't worry so much.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Time to quote Carlin:

[YOUTUBE="efKguI0NFek"]George Carlin on Voting[/YOUTUBE]

“The next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election.”

"You may have noticed that there's one thing I don't complain about: Politicians. Everybody complains about politicians. Everybody says, "They suck". But where do people think these politicians come from? They don't fall out of the sky. They don't pass through a membrane from another reality. No, they come from American homes, American families, American schools, American churches, American businesses, and they're elected by American voters. This is the best we can do, folks. It's what our system produces: Garbage in, garbage out."

“I don't vote. Two reasons. First of all it's meaningless; this country was bought and sold a long time ago. The shit they shovel around every 4 years *pfff* doesn't mean a fucking thing. Secondly, I believe if you vote, you have no right to complain. People like to twist that around – they say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain', but where's the logic in that? If you vote and you elect dishonest, incompetent people into office who screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You caused the problem; you voted them in; you have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote, who in fact did not even leave the house on election day, am in no way responsible for what these people have done and have every right to complain about the mess you created that I had nothing to do with.”

Good Ole George sounds like every INTP I know. Anyone know his type?
    Embrace the possibilities.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I'm not sure myself, but I searched for you: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ge-carlin.html