• I'm not a US citizen and I wouldn't vote

4 4.55%
First 23456 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I'm sure this isn't Silent Stars' reason, but I just saw this:

What kind of a democracy is that...? Does this really happen in the US? No wonder so many people don't vote then.

I've never had more than ten minutes' walk from my home to the polls and I've never had to wait in line for more than a few minutes. Yay, uh, "Northern Europe".
    I voted two weeks early, and I still had to stand in line for an hour. However a lot more people are voting this year than before, so I don't think a lot of places are well equipped to handle the extra voters.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

I'm not voting because I don't know who will, in a clear and objective sense, make the country better. It would be like voting on whether I want red carpet or blue carpet. I don't care, neither one of them is superior, it's just a matter of taste. I don't love or hate either candidate. I guess I'll let the people decide on this one. Obama is winning Illinois, anyway.

I don't know why we encourage people to vote. People are idiots. Why don't we just let 18 year old communists run the country. I'm sure they'll do fine. Idealism and personal preferences are the way to run a country with over 300 million people, for sure!
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    I don't know why we encourage people to vote. People are idiots.
    At the risk of sounding consipracy-theoryish...maybe this is why Republicans keep slashing education spending?
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    I have had to wait a maximum of 20 minutes to vote; usually it's less than 10. But I live in a well-off precinct. The worst horror stories come from poor precincts. There are many ways hostile (read, Republican) officiials can make voting hell on demographic groups who tend to vote Democratic: don't give them enough voting machines, give them defective voting machines, aggressively challenge voter registration, etc.
    That is a pretty biased statement. A lot of the problems occur at the local level, so these poor precincts would be affected by problems caused by overwhelmingly Democratic poll workers. Also, union members are known to intimidate people into voting for specific candidates in primaries, and then for whichever Democrat is on the ballot in general elections. Don't be such a Kool-Aid drinker.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I voted two weeks early, and I still had to stand in line for an hour. However a lot more people are voting this year than before, so I don't think a lot of places are well equipped to handle the extra voters.
    It doesn't seem to matter how much prep time precincts get, they're NEVER "prepared for the extra voters."

Then again, having local gov fund election machines and the like creates for some large imbalances in wealthy versus poor counties.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
    At the risk of sounding consipracy-theoryish...maybe this is why Republicans keep slashing education spending?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I almost thought you were serious!

New Spending for No Child Left Behind - washingtonpost.com

MBTI
    ESFJ

Anyone who's been reading this forum can probably guess which 7 are not surfing the tidal wave.

Fie on your privacy! I voted Obama.

Despite the Obama popularity (unfounded, IMHO), it is pleasing to see that "I'm eligible to vote, and I'm voting for someone else" is in a tie with "I'm eligible to vote, and I'm voting for McCain/Palin."

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Anyone who's been reading this forum can probably guess which 7 are not surfing the tidal wave.

Fie on your privacy! I voted Obama.
    I voted McCain in this poll before it was a private poll, so stick it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Despite the Obama popularity (unfounded, IMHO)
    Obviously anyone who does not vote the way someone else does sees the other person's vote as unfounded. So why do you consistently have to mention this?

Just... interesting.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Obviously anyone who does not vote the way someone else does sees the other person's vote as unfounded. So why do you consistently have to mention this?

Just... interesting.
    Logic, I'm guessing.