User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I think you're all going down the crapper
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyStilettos View Post
    I think you're all going down the crapper

is it nice down there? Or is it like the sewers in Futurama?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

is it nice down there? Or is it like the sewers in Futurama?
    I dunno, you'll have to send me a postcard
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Artsy and literary crap help your critical thinking skills. You have to defend subjective points of view in those kinds of courses. You also become a more well-rounded human being.

I could go on, but you know, I have to go teach my artsy, literary course.
    So does writing an essay on a passage in a critical writing/reading/grammar English course. The GREs have you do that as well as the SAT writing. You don't need to read a 400 page tome just to do that.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I dunno, you'll have to send me a postcard

Dear English Lady-

It's not quite as horrible down here as you may imagine- we even get things that people drop down the storm drains! This is not all that different from Hammond, Indiana...

Sincerely, whatever
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

Dear English Lady-

It's not quite as horrible down here as you may imagine- we even get things that people drop down the storm drains! This is not all that different from Hammond, Indiana...

Sincerely, whatever
    Dear Whatever-

Glad to hear it! See ya soon

Yours, English Lady

P.S. you called me English? NOT British? I FUCKING LOVE YOU!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Dear Whatever-

Glad to hear it! See ya soon

Yours, English Lady

P.S. you called me English? NOT British? I FUCKING LOVE YOU!
    you mentioned before that you were English...

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I don't want to go into religion here, so I'll just ask about it once. What has religion done to harm you or society, in your opinion?
    I think the principals of TRUE Christianity are very noble and worthy. Concepts of love, all people being equal in the eyes of God, helping your neighbor, respecting your family and your loved ones... these are good concepts.

The part that hurts society is that it creates a case of 'Us' vs 'Them'. In other words, those who are religious, and those who are not... further broken down into 'those who fit my own opinion of what the real religion out of all religions in the world is the proper and correct one' versus 'all other religions and people who don't have a faith."

This kind of religious ideology leads to a kind of passive-agressive (and sometimes not so passive) persecution of those who are not in the 'us' group. Because of not wanting religion to be permeating the halls of congress, I am 'UnAmerican'.

This is what our country was founded AGAINST, yet those who don't fit the "Christian-Republican" bill are made to feel as if their opinions don't matter, that they are un-patriotic.

Its the highest form of irony to hear people touting tolerance and freedom while stepping all over the freedoms of those who disagree with them.
    Embrace the possibilities.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Right.

Let me see if I understand what you're saying...

You want to establish an educational system that exclusively teaches some subjects, while neglecting others?

Content aside (I agree with you that our culture suffers from a depleted outlook towards math and science), you're advocating the same slash-and-burn strategy that reinforces the very ignorance you're working to reduce by your initiative...

From the sounds of it, your rub really isn't with the arts anyway - you sound more fiscally-minded. You mention welfare and tax policy more than a few times in your response.

In terms of financial policy, how efficiently do you believe international negotiations would move if we knew less about culture than Americans already do? How familiar are you with the subtleties Chinese nationalism plays on our present trade negotiations with them...? Ever studied the The Hundred Schools of Thought for its relationship to current Chinese fiscal behavior?

Clearly, there's a lot you have yet to research on the impact of international trade and domestic culture...

Your concept is highly simplified - both in vision and in prudence. In its present state, your system would handicap American investments/influence abroad, by limiting our basic ability to efficiently communicate with our trade partners...

You're young. Take it back to the drawing board.
    Five Hundred Bucks says that IlyaK1986 is in this video somewhere:

YouTube - Why people think Americans are stupid
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Jesus...