User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Hah

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    If we have the best universities in the world, we need to apply the same treatment to our elementary schools.
    What? Incorporate them in the american caste system, ensuring the survival of the socioeconomic hierarchy?

Well, with that ideal you have accomplished much, but I guess some people aren't quite satisfied yet...

MBTI
    INFP

I think that as long as our people are unhealthy our culture is going to be unhealthy, unbalanced.

I liked one idea of Ilyak's and that is the idea of removing anything other than the ABCs from the schools.

The Germans had a good idea with their Turner Halls. If the town subsidized sports, music, drama, art, each child could have a place to go with community support and pride in excellence and children who had no interest in the extracurricular activities wouldn't have to go without school books because the money was spent on football or band uniforms.

I'd like to see the first six years focus on language skills and mathematics. The basics. So - narrow the focus to doing a few of the most crucial things well.

Our current populace is nearly incapable of comunicating effectively. Some of that can be attributed to the huge influx of immigrants but there are other reasons for it, I believe.

We need another source of teaching cultural things such as etiquette, healthy attitudes and behaviors. Since both parents have begun working as a matter of perceived neccessity, children are not learning these basic social needs.

Teachers are so busy keeping order and stretched beyond their area of study to cover all bases that little seems to be getting taught.

And I agree with whomever said that we still don't place enough emphasis on helping the gifted.

In 1966, the year that I graduated and spent two years at a private college at the tremendous out-of-pocket cost of $2,000, a young developmentally disabled woman who was mainstreamed with me throughout school was sent to a rehab and the county spent a whopping $10,000 dollars on her learning how to behave in public and make simple meals.

She has continued to live with the help of the county and has produced numerous children who are also dependent on the county's aid.

I've often thought that it may be a good idea to start looking at our belief that all children should graduate from high school. Allow those who are troubled and unhappy to leave the school so their behavior isn't disruptive to the ones who are willing to learn.

Stear them into vocational pursuits until the age of eighteen. If, after a period of time, they tire of manual labor, allow them to return to school with a new sense of motivation.

A few ideas I've had for a long time. Obviously there are many facets of implimentation which I haven't covered.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

heart on fire

I've often thought that it may be a good idea to start looking at our belief that all children should graduate from high school. Allow those who are troubled and unhappy to leave the school so their behavior isn't disruptive to the ones who are willing to learn.

Stear them into vocational pursuits until the age of eighteen. If, after a period of time, they tire of manual labor, allow them to return to school with a new sense of motivation.

Really bad idea. jmo.

What if the problems aren't "motivation"?

MBTI
    INFP

If the problems are more serious than motivation, then the child would best be served in a setting designed to address them.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

There should be alternatives to traditional high school, imo... ones that don't leave people stigmatized.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Except people raise a huge commotion when it's their religion that's called out.
    People do this with many things they care about, whether it's ideology, an idol, or a sports team.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    If the problems are more serious than motivation, then the child would best be served in a setting designed to address them.
    I'd hope that decision would be up to outside psychologists and psychiatrists, not just the school system.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    People do this with many things they care about, whether it's ideology, an idol, or a sports team.
    Exactly. But guess what? I can say "THE STEELERS FUCKING SUCK" all I want and nobody's going to want to try and murder me because I'm an infidel because I'm not a steelers fan.

(E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!! > Steelers)
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

2) Education. Now. Remove art, music, and poetry from schools. Those can be done on people's own time. Instead, force massive amounts of science, (chemistry, physics, and computer science), math, and history (with special emphasis on wars and financial history). Foreign languages should no longer be mandatory. Replace with more math and science. Remove most literature from the agenda. Instead, teach critical reading skills and grammar only. Shakespeare can be read on people's own time. Replace the new time with more math and science.

3) In order to make this all work, destroy the teachers' unions and make our k-12 teaching positions as competitive as those found in the financial services industry, and raise compensation to boot. Our colleges are the best in the world because of the competitiveness on both sides of the textbook. Time to do the same with k-12. Our k-12 teachers are the most important people in terms of raising our children. They better be damn good.

4) Make sure the culture in our k-12 schools gets a complete overhaul. A nerd is not someone with freckles, suspenders, a bad fashion sense, and a weak body such that you can bully him or her into doing your homework. A nerd is someone that is going to be raking in six figure salaries, and if you're not a nerd, you're going to be a nobody. Or so we should have kids believe.
    Well... I don't know what your art teachers have done to you to deserve this, but sure, your program is quite totalitarian. You're not that far away from 1984, since your goal seems to erase every possible traces of the western humanistic culture.

What is the purpose of education, I ask you...

Do you see men as impersonal products, "merchandise beings"?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Embrace the possibilities.