User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 75

  1. #21
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    I don't think I'll touch on this thread anymore. I said my piece, and no amount of "Islams are violent so religion sucks" statistics are going to change my mind.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  2. #22
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    1)

    7) Pop culture is tangible. Religion is not. Pop culture doesn't command people to commit mass murder in the name of an invisible man. Islam does. It has also been committed in the name of Christianity, but at least the Christians owned up to it (albeit they're fucking too preachy!)
    Pick your poison my friend. Will mankind commit heinous acts under the name of religion, or will it do so under the name of greed, government, society, culture, or any other number of institution mankind has set up. I don't want to attack you or criticize you, but I think you sort of refuse to account for nature of individual people and their own mentality. People who are likely to murder will do so with whatever excuse life gives them. No institution man has ever created has made man evil, but it is evil men who commit evil acts under the names of the institutions they create.

    Einstein said it perfectly, "Problems cannot be solved with the same level of consciousness that created them." I have said it many times on this forum. Some people get it and some don't. Nothing will ever change unless people are prepared to change in themselves as individuals. There are a great many influences over our behavior and beliefs in this world, but in the end we hold power over our own nature. We must never blame our own creations for our own pitfalls, for if what we create is flawed it is only so because the men who created it were in themselves flawed. This applies to EVERYTHING in the endeavors of humankind.

    I'm going to muzzle myself now and go back to the main topic :P .

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Except people raise a huge commotion when it's their religion that's called out. You can call out a political affiliation or whatnot, but the moment you say "THIS IS A RELIGION OF VIOLENCE AND TERRORISM!", you're associating a lot of people in that, which gives way to a lot of unintended consequences.

    Though the whole idea of religion needs to be debunked to begin with. It's an idea, and is no more special than "I like kittens better than puppies."
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

  4. #24
    Senior Member Maabus1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    1) Whether or not other nations can acquire nukes or not doesn't matter. They don't have the delivery capabilities. And if we've shown that we're willing to annihilate any nation that dares dabble with nukes, nobody's going to go after them, since between the time they acquire a nuclear bomb and the time they can effectively deliver it, a few stealth fighters will destroy their entire civilization and kill 50% of their people and destroy the livelihoods of everyone else within the borders. No sane leader would ever try to fight back against America militarily for fear of his own nation being destroyed.

    We have F-22s. They can take down any fighter jet in existence without even being detected. They are untouchable. So they can easily deliver a hydrogen bomb. No other nation has F-22s, or any hardware or software that can remotely come close to fighting them.

    2) Foreign languages can be chosen to be studied in college. Art and music, as I said, can be studied on people's OWN time. They should not be indoctrinated in school. What needs to be taught in school is the tools. What everyone will decide for themselves is how to use them.

    3) Unions in a nutshell: you have a bunch of insignificant people banding together to form a significant body of people acting as one that causes a significant consequence when they all act as one. Easy union example: car plant. Non-unionized worker: Either you pay me $20,000 more per year or I quit! Boss: Don't let the door hit you on your way out, sucker! Union of workers: Either you pay us all $20,000 or we ALL quit and you have nobody to run your plant and you lose major bucks. Boss: Let's talk.

    6) You raise the bar by making the dumb kids FEEL stupid. As though they'll never achieve anything. You make them hate to be alive. That way, they shape up, or they can't live with themselves and won't be able to blame anyone, because they'll have long been told what the price of failure would be.

    7) Pop culture is tangible. Religion is not. Pop culture doesn't command people to commit mass murder in the name of an invisible man. Islam does. It has also been committed in the name of Christianity, but at least the Christians owned up to it (albeit they're fucking too preachy!)

    11) Outsourcing is an enormous problem. Comparative advantage runs on the assumption that if your trading partner is doing what you can be doing, you'll do something more worthwhile instead. However, when instead, you can't do ANYTHING because the only thing you can do got outsourced to a bunch of Thank You Come Agains or Chinese factories, your life is miserable, you have no job, and therefore, cannot spend, and therefore, cannot contribute to the economy.
    Wow are you clueless about a few things here. I will assume you are still in college, or something similar in your current stage of life, as it shows some youthism without experience in your posts.

    Your F-22 section and information contained within are quiet comical to me though, you should do more of those!

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    481

    Default

    And you're the ever-so-enlightened one?
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

  6. #26
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    muslims and christians did not always engage in war.

    the ottoman empire and mongolian empires, chrisians and muslims got along relatively well, and did not have any major wars with each other... its a pretty interesting part of world history...

  7. #27
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Though the whole idea of religion needs to be debunked to begin with. It's an idea, and is no more special than "I like kittens better than puppies."
    Except that people who are religious generally do not consider their religious ideas to be opinions. "I like kittens better than puppies" is clearly opinion, whereas "Jesus Christ is the son of God" is a statement framed as something other than opinion.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Except that people who are religious generally do not consider their religious ideas to be opinions. "I like kittens better than puppies" is clearly opinion, whereas "Jesus Christ is the son of God" is a statement framed as something other than opinion.
    No Eileen, you are wrong once again. It is a fact that I prefer kittens to puppies. Contemplate this.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Except that people who are religious generally do not consider their religious ideas to be opinions. "I like kittens better than puppies" is clearly opinion, whereas "Jesus Christ is the son of God" is a statement framed as something other than opinion.
    Of course not. They're idiots, however, and should not be defended by religion being any special topic.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

  10. #30
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    No Eileen, you are wrong once again. It is a fact that I prefer kittens to puppies. Contemplate this.
    It is still a relative viewpoint, which most religious people will not concede.

    I'm the hell bound heretical agnostic religious person, so when I express a religious viewpoint, it's disclaimed with relativity. Most people are more convicted of the importance of their religious viewpoints than they are of their pet preferences.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Similar Threads

  1. [ESFP] What clubs do you like to join in college/university?
    By pfspersonality in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-03-2017, 04:31 AM
  2. [NT] the NT wishing well: you've got funding, what idea do you put it in?
    By Society in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-28-2012, 11:20 PM
  3. At what point do you stop trying to grow and just accept your type?
    By Usehername in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 12:28 AM
  4. What sports do you like?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 06:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO