User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    It's about taking responsibility and accountability for your current state of existence and being aware of the options you can take to improve yourself. The purpose of the government isn't to be a babysitter, but to make sure everyone becomes responsible for their own actions.

Insert wall of text here.
    I believe this would be the only thing I agreed with you on.

I'm sorry, but I'm not christian, but I don't think Under God should be removed from the pledge. It's what our nation was founded on, and I don't think it's harming anyone remaining there. The Puritans were not perfect people by any means.. but a lot of their values we still hold today, such as self-reliance, and the freedom of expressing religion.

I think art, music, and other things are entirely necessary in school.. I think it's a big part of life and culture in general, which is something we should uphold.

I won't get into another wall of text.. but pushing math and science like crazy on a kid won't make them want it more. I do agree that schools need improvement, I'm not sure if that's the way to do it though.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

I'm sorry, but I'm not christian, but I don't think Under God should be removed from the pledge. It's what our nation was founded on, and I don't think it's harming anyone remaining there. The Puritans were not perfect people by any means.. but a lot of their values we still hold today, such as self-reliance, and the freedom of expressing religion.

I think art, music, and other things are entirely necessary in school.. I think it's a big part of life and culture in general, which is something we should uphold.

I won't get into another wall of text.. but pushing math and science like crazy on a kid won't make them want it more. I do agree that schools need improvement, I'm not sure if that's the way to do it though.
    Pushing math and science on them won't make them want it more--but promises of riches and prosperity may. And if they end up complete dismal failures in life, at least then they have nobody to blame but themselves for being stupid.

The entire point of schools is to teach all of the tools someone would need to utilize to be able to fend for themselves and by doing so as a completely unintended consequence from their viewpoint, improve the nation.

Right now, we have too many people looking to do something for easy money (no such thing) or just get a job and be well off (you won't be well off with "a job").

As for religion, it's old and archaic. We need to stop its indoctrination. Now.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

I'm in complete agreement with you and most of what people have said so far. Self reliance and self responsibility are vital aspects of our democratic republic that individuals are losing a grasp of, the effects of which we can readily see. And it follows that if you can't be responsible in your own life and able to provide for yourself, then you aren't going to be of much service to anyone else in that respect. Healthy pride, honor, and integrity are all things this society used to really uphold, but not anymore. Helping your neighbor and being keyed in to what is happening with your country as a whole are rapidly becoming things of the past.

Our education system is HORRIBLE! I live in California where schools tend to be inundated by illegal immigrant families and students who cant speak English creating problems in the classroom, on top of the teacher bureaucracies that get rewarded for doing a crappy job of teaching. ON TOP OF THAT we have this culture of indoctrination and dumbing down the students. My God, you can barely find a public school environment these days where the exceptionally intelligent are truly rewarded and not chastised by no just their peers but even the teachers. I have observed that people these days in some parts of this country seem to have a subconscious fear of smart people and intelligence, to the point where they can't even see themselves as being as intelligent as they truly are. The system has irreparably damaged the mentality of many and corroded their outlook on what it is to be "smart", informed on important issues, successful, self reliant, etc.

MBTI
    INTJ

Creating a clone army of ISTJ's lead by their INTJ commanders.

Oh wait...they all know too much now...

Seriously though, the country is going to continue as it has in many different facets.

What I forsee happening over the next 20 years is considerable financial restructuring as the "house of cards" falls and has to be rebuilt. Hopefully in a Phoenix way and not a trend towards a Roman way.

I see racism increasing in this country post recession as immigration issues pop up again.

I see education reaching a critical moment where not only is there a lack of science and math proficiency, but also a lack of culture or any form or fashion of Renaissancian thinking coming out of our schools. I forsee more NFP teachers being needed and hopefully pay will increase so they can actually survive on it.

I see a constant increase in defense spending but over new tenets that were never seen before. New doctrines will be developed over the next 50 years that will reshape this planet on a conflict scale.

I see genetic engineering causing the first moral issue that outpaces Roe vs Wade, and brings the benefits from disease cures to life extension. Countries that proceed without moral hinderence will advance drastically faster then those who hold back. However the unknown dangers of genetic manipulation increase the doomsday clock slightly in retrospect of a new era of being pseudo-God.

K enough for now or I will get carried away.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Pushing math and science on them won't make them want it more--but promises of riches and prosperity may. And if they end up complete dismal failures in life, at least then they have nobody to blame but themselves for being stupid.

The entire point of schools is to teach all of the tools someone would need to utilize to be able to fend for themselves and by doing so as a completely unintended consequence from their viewpoint, improve the nation.

Right now, we have too many people looking to do something for easy money (no such thing) or just get a job and be well off (you won't be well off with "a job").

I don't want to go into religion here, so I'll just ask about it once. What has religion done to harm you or society, in your opinion?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I don't think anything could have told me to like money more than bubbles as a kid. I think Art and music expand the brain, which broadens the horizons for creativity, creating new and innovated thought processes, which this country needs to thrive on. How do you measure success though? The amount of money they make based on their career? .. I think a housewife who raised three bright children, lived comfortably in a small home, and was faithful to her husband is just as successful as someone who got their masters, became a surgeon, and saved lives. THey each did their part as people, and did what they wanted to do while contributing to society in their own unique way. It's narrow-minded to base the success of people on their education in k-12 entirely. Taking away their band class won't make them smarter or cause them to strive for that scientist career.

It's up to the parents to each their kids why they should strive for the best, not the school. Parents need to teach their kids twice as much as any school. Parenting is a very hard job if done right, which is why parenting is very much-so down the tubes of what it used to be, another flaw for us Americans lately.

Religion is archaic. So is money. Let's do away with money while we're at it. Hell, writing is archaic as well. So is reading. People have been doing that for WAY too long. Saying you need to get rid of something because it's old is a bit bias.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ

Look, it's not about responsibilities to the community. That's bullshit. Always has been, always will be. It's about taking responsibility and accountability for your current state of existence and being aware of the options you can take to improve yourself. The purpose of the government isn't to be a babysitter, but to make sure everyone becomes responsible for their own actions.

As for where I think this country should go:

IMO America's agenda going into the next years should be:

1) Remove our physical presence from outside our borders, except for bases near our true allies (Israel, Japan, Britain). Then we test our most powerful nuclear weapon to send radiation radars through the roof. Currency not backed by trust in the system is worthless. So too is diplomacy without force. Put the fear of getting a nation detonated in a day into the heart of a dictator, and he'll listen to an eloquent president.
    Returning the US to a more isolationist approach I agree with. Our dalliances in foreign affairs have often ended disastrously and undermined our support for national sovereignty. I think we should pull out of the Middle East altogether. Currently we donate a great deal to both Israel and Egypt, who are antagonistic, and we have unhealthy ties to Saudi Arabia. We have done a lot to discourage democracy in the region by helping Wahhabi fundamentalists, who have supported regressive regimes in Turkey and elsewhere. The nuclear approach is doomed, since many other nations can acquire them too and point them at us.

2) Education. Now. Remove art, music, and poetry from schools. Those can be done on people's own time. Instead, force massive amounts of science, (chemistry, physics, and computer science), math, and history (with special emphasis on wars and financial history). Foreign languages should no longer be mandatory. Replace with more math and science. Remove most literature from the agenda. Instead, teach critical reading skills and grammar only. Shakespeare can be read on people's own time. Replace the new time with more math and science.
    I strongly disagree with removing art, music, and foreign language from the school curriculum. While I don't support foreign intervention, we definitely need diplomacy, which necessitates foreign language acquisition. Understanding math and science is vital, but without being exposed to art and literature, people are not well-rounded enough to apply them correctly. In addition, they exist for their own purpose.

3) In order to make this all work, destroy the teachers' unions and make our k-12 teaching positions as competitive as those found in the financial services industry, and raise compensation to boot. Our colleges are the best in the world because of the competitiveness on both sides of the textbook. Time to do the same with k-12. Our k-12 teachers are the most important people in terms of raising our children. They better be damn good.
    I don't know that much about unions, but I pretty much agree with you here.

4) Make sure the culture in our k-12 schools gets a complete overhaul. A nerd is not someone with freckles, suspenders, a bad fashion sense, and a weak body such that you can bully him or her into doing your homework. A nerd is someone that is going to be raking in six figure salaries, and if you're not a nerd, you're going to be a nobody. Or so we should have kids believe.
    Having gone through the hell of high school, I am all for this.

5) Introductory economics and finance better be taught in the early years of high school, and better be mandatory courses. The amount of people that don't know these two fundamental subjects is staggering.
    No disagreement here. I have always found that people, including myself, were woefully unprepared for the realities of the "real world."

6) Random standardized national testing. No set dates for benchmark national standardized exams. Just randomly, over the course of the year, throw one, to make sure that teachers and parents are doing their jobs raising the next generation of thinkers. Standardized exams will include American history, both general and financial, mathematics, chemistry, physics, geometry, algebra, calculus, probability, statistics, computer coding, grammar, critical reading/writing, economics, and finance. How much of each will be dependent upon grade level. By senior year of high school, all of this will be mandatory material.
    I don't know much raising the bar any more will help. The bar already seems pretty high. It's just that kids aren't striving to reach it, they are just dropping out instead. I think your point #4 is particularly relevant here; there seems to be little emphasis on intellectual accomplishments in high school. To combat this, I would dissolve public funding for pep rallies, athletic events and scholarships, and a lot of those rather pointless high school clubs.

7) Final separation of church and state. "One nation, indivisible, with liberty, and justice for all." God is an outdated concept, and anyone that chooses to believe in him can do so on their own time. We don't need it indoctrinated into us every time we stand for the pledge to our country.
    I don't think religion is necessary a problem in modern America. Maybe it was my upbringing in California, but I think people have replaced God with pop culture. People worship the media and TV and are completely indoctrinated by that. I have heard many people use something they saw in a movie as a reason for why they did something or how they behave. I normally believe to some extent in the free market, provided its excesses are restrained, but I despise Hollywood.

8) Expose this belief of diversity/ethnicity difference for what it really is--reverse discrimination. I don't give a damn if you're Indian or Chinese or Japanese or Russian or American or Native American or African American. The color of your skin or the country of your birth shouldn't make a damn difference. Now your accent and command of the English language is a much different story.
    Identity politics have been extremely destructive in America, diverting attention from the real issues. A lot of ethnic minorities I have spoken to find them annoying as well. Race should not be an issue whatsoever. And the United States should firmly retain Western culture.

9) Remove the sanctity of religion. It should not be illegal to discriminate upon it, or to ask about it. The religion you believe in and why you believe in it is a conscious choice you make, and is no different than any other value you hold. Anyone should have any right to ask you about it and why you hold the values you do. Just because there's an invisible man or a whole set of them involved makes no difference.
    Ditto #7.

10) Tax obesity. Use said tax money to subsidize gym memberships. Tax negative externality, subsidize positive.
    This seems pretty hardcore.

11) Tax dirty energy. Tax subsidize clean energy. Lower corporate taxes for firms operating within America. Levy massive taxes on any firms that outsource jobs or import non-citizens. It'll cause some pain in the very short run, and should, if my economics are correct, produce much better results in the longer terms.
    Outsourcing isn't so much a problem, as it utilizes the comparative advantage of the various countries. I believe subsidies should be given to workers who have to change sectors, such as farmers who must move to a technical sector. They have it tough.
    There are miles to go before I sleep...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Our education system is HORRIBLE! I live in California where schools tend to be inundated by illegal immigrant families and students who cant speak English creating problems in the classroom, on top of the teacher bureaucracies that get rewarded for doing a crappy job of teaching. ON TOP OF THAT we have this culture of indoctrination and dumbing down the students. My God, you can barely find a public school environment these days where the exceptionally intelligent are truly rewarded and not chastised by no just their peers but even the teachers. I have observed that people these days in some parts of this country seem to have a subconscious fear of smart people and intelligence, to the point where they can't even see themselves as being as intelligent as they truly are. The system has irreparably damaged the mentality of many and corroded their outlook on what it is to be "smart", informed on important issues, successful, self reliant, etc.
    I'm often horrified at what my youngest sister doesn't know at her age, that I knew at hers. She asked me how to spell "appropriate" the other day. She's almost 15. That's 3 years away from voting. I think education needs major overhauls... but how to do them exactly, I am no expert on. I did well enough in school, but I could have done better. Had I known then what I know now, I would have strived harder..

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I don't want to go into religion here, so I'll just ask about it once. What has religion done to harm you or society, in your opinion?
    In the recent past: 9/11.

Throughout history: The two Islamic conquest sprees. Crusades. All sorts of European civil wars and crucifixions and burning at the stake for differences in religious subtleties.

Any second grader alive today would be smarter than the imbecile warlord whose religion 1.3 billion people follow today--a religion created to justify raping prepubescent girls and personally slaughtering all sorts of innocent people and calling for the wholesale murder of all Jews and non-Muslims.

All religions are composed of archaic, and in the case of Islam--outright violent and societally destructive ideas that need to be done away with as fast as possible. Religion is absolutely unneeded to survive, and has claimed far more lives than it has saved. In fact, there was a double blind study done as to the effect of prayer on ailing victims and it was found to have no statistical evidence of doing anything to cure/heal the sick/wounded.

If there is a god, he can prove his existence to me and I'll accept him then. Until then, I believe only in myself.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Penda View Post
    Returning the US to a more isolationist approach I agree with. Our dalliances in foreign affairs have often ended disastrously and undermined our support for national sovereignty. I think we should pull out of the Middle East altogether. Currently we donate a great deal to both Israel and Egypt, who are antagonistic, and we have unhealthy ties to Saudi Arabia. We have done a lot to discourage democracy in the region by helping Wahhabi fundamentalists, who have supported regressive regimes in Turkey and elsewhere. The nuclear approach is doomed, since many other nations can acquire them too and point them at us.

I strongly disagree with removing art, music, and foreign language from the school curriculum. While I don't support foreign intervention, we definitely need diplomacy, which necessitates foreign language acquisition. Understanding math and science is vital, but without being exposed to art and literature, people are not well-rounded enough to apply them correctly. In addition, they exist for their own purpose.

I don't know that much about unions, but I pretty much agree with you here.

Having gone through the hell of high school, I am all for this.

No disagreement here. I have always found that people, including myself, were woefully unprepared for the realities of the "real world."

I don't know much raising the bar any more will help. The bar already seems pretty high. It's just that kids aren't striving to reach it, they are just dropping out instead. I think your point #4 is particularly relevant here; there seems to be little emphasis on intellectual accomplishments in high school. To combat this, I would dissolve public funding for pep rallies, athletic events and scholarships, and a lot of those rather pointless high school clubs.

I don't think religion is necessary a problem in modern America. Maybe it was my upbringing in California, but I think people have replaced God with pop culture. People worship the media and TV and are completely indoctrinated by that. I have heard many people use something they saw in a movie as a reason for why they did something or how they behave. I normally believe to some extent in the free market, provided its excesses are restrained, but I despise Hollywood.

Identity politics have been extremely destructive in America, diverting attention from the real issues. A lot of ethnic minorities I have spoken to find them annoying as well. Race should not be an issue whatsoever. And the United States should firmly retain Western culture.

Ditto #7.

This seems pretty hardcore.

Outsourcing isn't so much a problem, as it utilizes the comparative advantage of the various countries. I believe subsidies should be given to workers who have to change sectors, such as farmers who must move to a technical sector. They have it tough.
    1) Whether or not other nations can acquire nukes or not doesn't matter. They don't have the delivery capabilities. And if we've shown that we're willing to annihilate any nation that dares dabble with nukes, nobody's going to go after them, since between the time they acquire a nuclear bomb and the time they can effectively deliver it, a few stealth fighters will destroy their entire civilization and kill 50% of their people and destroy the livelihoods of everyone else within the borders. No sane leader would ever try to fight back against America militarily for fear of his own nation being destroyed.

We have F-22s. They can take down any fighter jet in existence without even being detected. They are untouchable. So they can easily deliver a hydrogen bomb. No other nation has F-22s, or any hardware or software that can remotely come close to fighting them.

2) Foreign languages can be chosen to be studied in college. Art and music, as I said, can be studied on people's OWN time. They should not be indoctrinated in school. What needs to be taught in school is the tools. What everyone will decide for themselves is how to use them.

3) Unions in a nutshell: you have a bunch of insignificant people banding together to form a significant body of people acting as one that causes a significant consequence when they all act as one. Easy union example: car plant. Non-unionized worker: Either you pay me $20,000 more per year or I quit! Boss: Don't let the door hit you on your way out, sucker! Union of workers: Either you pay us all $20,000 or we ALL quit and you have nobody to run your plant and you lose major bucks. Boss: Let's talk.

6) You raise the bar by making the dumb kids FEEL stupid. As though they'll never achieve anything. You make them hate to be alive. That way, they shape up, or they can't live with themselves and won't be able to blame anyone, because they'll have long been told what the price of failure would be.

7) Pop culture is tangible. Religion is not. Pop culture doesn't command people to commit mass murder in the name of an invisible man. Islam does. It has also been committed in the name of Christianity, but at least the Christians owned up to it (albeit they're fucking too preachy!)

11) Outsourcing is an enormous problem. Comparative advantage runs on the assumption that if your trading partner is doing what you can be doing, you'll do something more worthwhile instead. However, when instead, you can't do ANYTHING because the only thing you can do got outsourced to a bunch of Thank You Come Agains or Chinese factories, your life is miserable, you have no job, and therefore, cannot spend, and therefore, cannot contribute to the economy.