User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why is Obama ahead of McCain in the polls?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because America is so full of ignorant sheep who need a charismatic leader to make them feel good.

9 69.23%
  • His middle name is Hussein, and another Hussein didn't get along with Bush.

8 61.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 6789 Last

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    We can all unanimously agree that the past 8 years was a nightmare.
    Zuh? The last 8 years had its ups and downs like any other time, but it certainly wasn't a nightmare for me.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    ...2. Mass media is totally F'd up, and gave him hardly any coverage. Most voters rely on mass media for their information.
    I don't think many people actually try to look for many variations of coverage to get all sides of a political discussion. First of all, they don't have the inclination; second of all, they don't have the time.

So in general, a person selects media that he or she feels comfortable with already, unless their personal inclination already resides with hearing many different sides of an issue and a willingness to live in ambiguity.

Another issue is reliability; one has to somehow "vet" new sources of media by triangulating the data being broadcast by it. Otherwise you can have no way to judge validity. Mentally vetting new data is a pain in the bottom and time-invasive, and most people judge new data based on the old data they've already had...

... which is why the typical attitude is one of circular reasoning and insular intellectual communities.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't know exactly why he's ahead, but I do know that if he wins, he ain't going to make it past the county line (reference to Easy Rider).

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I thought Colbert hit the nail on the head... Obama is ahead in the polls because the people answering the phone hate America.

It's funny... people on both sides seem to think that the other is full of ignorant sheep. Personally, I think they are both right.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    1. He ran as a Republican, and therefore had to win Republican primaries to get on the ticket. I never saw this as a good bet, because his supporters were of multiple parties and independent. I'm not a registered Republican, but I supported Paul.
    Even when he did get the support of Republican voters, the local/state party officials didn't allow that support to gain momentum. In the county where I grew up (St. Charles County, MO), Ron Paul lead the primary vote. One of my brothers (who had campaigned for Ron Paul in Iowa) became a delegate. At a later party meeting, a state party official disqualified all the delegates from that county and one other that had massive support for Ron Paul. There were no grounds for disqualification, the party just didn't want Ron Paul supporters around.

I'm not saying corruption cost him the nomination. But it showed me how little the party actually cared about what the members believed. They're not interested in ideas. If you don't toe the party line, you're an outcast, a nutcase.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I thought Colbert hit the nail on the head... Obama is ahead in the polls because the people answering the phone hate America.
    Funny, that's what my best friend (INTP) tells people when they seem aghast that he wears an Obama t-shirt to church.

Them: "You're voting for Obama? But he's an arab!"
    Him: "Of course, and he's a terrorist and blows up babies! That's why I'm voting for him."

After the smoke from their ears clear up a bit, they actually stop and think a moment.

But... lots of sheep out there, flocking around. I felt bad this morning listening to a radio station run by African-American DJs, because although I totally understand how good they must feel to have someone running who they think represents their experiences finally, at the same time expecting a politician to be the next Messiah and walk in and suddenly everything will change will only lead to disillusionment.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Hum...if there's more people in America who are Anti-American than there are good, productive Republicans...and we outvote the Republicans...is there, perhaps, some problem with what Republicans perceive America to be?

I dunno, this is like saying "everyone is below average" to me. It denotes a severe disconnect with reality. Which is one of my main issues with Bush...his Wishful Thinking policies have killed more people than a casual tally can account for, and flushed our economy down the toilet.

Also, Jack, you need one more option on your poll: Barack Obama is ahead because NEENER NEENER NEENER NEENER!!!
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Yea, and I highly doubt Obama would initiate that kind of "change" (pun).
    Even though you're trying to be funny, this is exactly why some people fear the same rhetoric that so many people find comforting. Change means something good less than half the time, but Obama knows that being intentionally vague is the best way to herd more than half of the ignorant sheep.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    But... lots of sheep out there, flocking around. I felt bad this morning listening to a radio station run by African-American DJs, because although I totally understand how good they must feel to have someone running who they think represents their experiences finally, at the same time expecting a politician to be the next Messiah and walk in and suddenly everything will change will only lead to disillusionment.
    You shouldn't feel bad for these people. They NEED to be disillusioned by people like Obama. It's the only way they will become mature adults when it comes to politics. If you are black and you honestly believe that Barack Obama is going to change the country for the better in a significant, permanent fashion, then you have not been paying attention to either Barack Obama or the federal government.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Funny, that's what my best friend (INTP) tells people when they seem aghast that he wears an Obama t-shirt to church.

Them: "You're voting for Obama? But he's an arab!"
    Him: "Of course, and he's a terrorist and blows up babies! That's why I'm voting for him."

After the smoke from their ears clear up a bit, they actually stop and think a moment.

Well put it this way: the worst that can happen is Obama tries and comes up short.

But I'd rather have someone fucking TRY than stick to the same old Bush policies that McCain has a 90% record of voting for.

As for a politician being the next Messiah:

Washington.
    Lincoln.
    FDR.
    JFK.
    Reagan (*GASP* A REPUBLICAN)
    Clinton.

We've had some pretty damn amazing presidents. And Obama isn't promising us the world. He's saying that we can band together and get through this and make a change.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^