User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    The part of the 'Religious Republican' ideoligy is that it implies that somehow if you aren't Republican and voting for McCain you are somehow immoral and 'UnAmerican'. How can a country that touts religious diversity be so ANTI everything un-Christian? Why does casting a vote for a Democrat, and this year a non-Christian, make me the bad guy?

:steam:

I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts on this problem into words that deliver the proper sentiment, (In true INTJ fashion) but in the end I feel that the un-American part is the intolerance for core values of our country. Diversity, Religious Freedom, Freedom of Speech, etc. These things get somehow turned around to equate to 'Christian' values... when they are being violated by the very thing propping them up!

There is a serious logical fallout in this mentality and I can't seem to express the true irony of it.

I have two questions.

1) What non-Christian major candidate is in this election?

2) Do you feel the same way when anyone when people who vote Republican are called "religious wackos" and "Neanderthals" by ignorant people on the other side?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts on this problem into words that deliver the proper sentiment, (In true INTJ fashion) but in the end I feel that the un-American part is the intolerance for core values of our country. Diversity, Religious Freedom, Freedom of Speech, etc.
    Are you kidding me? Have you studied colonial America, at all? The reason the federal government was prohibited from establishing a religion is because the states wanted to establish their own. Massachusetts was Puritan, Pennsylvania was Quaker, and so on. The states didn't want a scenario where one particular state could gain control of the federal government and...say...force Massachusetts to become Quaker.

Tolerance and diversity have never been core values of this country. Don't confuse those buzzwords with the idea that everyone should be equal in the eyes of the law.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    What about Canada? It's the bastard child of England, France, and the United States, and they are some of the most humorous people in the world.
    Sure, they are bastards but it's not their fault - if only their parents had married.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Sure, they are bastards but it's not their fault - if only their parents had married.
    My history teacher in high school recounted a funny observation someone once made about Canada.

"Canada could have been the best of all worlds: French culture, British government, and American ingenuity. Instead, they got American culture, French government, and British ingenuity."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Personally, I wonder why the hell it matters what the founding fathers thought. They are long dead. It's what people want and need today that matters.
    And dead white males to boot.

But the problem is that our wants and needs today have been shaped and conditioned by the afore mentioned dead white whales.

And just as Captain Ahab was entranced by the White Whale, so are we entranced by the dead white males.

And we love being entranced and will hunt the White Whale until we die like Ahab.

We are in love with the White Whale and the dead white males, just as we are in love with our own parents.

You do love your parents, don't you?

My history teacher in high school recounted a funny observation someone once made about Canada.

"Canada could have been the best of all worlds: French culture, British government, and American ingenuity. Instead, they got American culture, French government, and British ingenuity."
    And as American as apple pie.

But as Canadian as possible under the circumstances.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I have two questions.

1) What non-Christian major candidate is in this election?
    Obama is Muslim of course . Either that or the #1 most liberal Senator (Obama) is so far left that people cant recognize whether or not he has faith in a higher power. Or maaaybe his racist against whites Reverand doesn't count as belonging to a Christian church since apparently all they believe in is hate and extremism. Which is it I wonder...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Obama is Muslim of course . Either that or the #1 most liberal Senator (Obama) is so far left that people cant recognize whether or not he has faith in a higher power. Or maaaybe his racist against whites Reverand doesn't count as belonging to a Christian church since apparently all they believe in is hate and extremism. Which is it I wonder...
    I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about, Risen.

Your extreme theistic (not even sure I'd classify you as a theist...) undertone is negatively coloring your ability to offer on-point political opinion.

Your guilt-by-association connective tissue is tired. If you're going to attack Obama, make sure you've done your homework, or at least taken the time to develop legitimate charges.

Why would religious affiliation have anything to do with effectiveness as a leader?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Obama is Muslim of course .
    so THAT'S why he's always attended a Christian Church!

Either that or the #1 most liberal Senator (Obama) is so far left that people cant recognize whether or not he has faith in a higher power.
    So Feingold's running for President? a wonderful day for me here!

Or maaaybe his racist against whites Reverand doesn't count as belonging to a Christian church since apparently all they believe in is hate and extremism. Which is it I wonder...
    He hates his mama and half himself?

Dude... please, save yourself some credibility :rolli:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about, Risen.

Your extreme theistic (not even sure I'd classify you as a theist...) undertone is negatively coloring your ability to offer on-point political opinion.

Your guilt-by-association connective tissue is tired. If you're going to attack Obama, make sure you've done your homework, or at least taken the time to develop legitimate charges.
    You certainly see only what you want to see my friend. Everyone here who has been willing to objectively look at the man Barack Obama knows the same thing that I do. I didn't actually think that is what Misty_Mountain_Rose meant when he/she said "Why does casting a vote for a Democrat, and this year a non-Christian, make me the bad guy?". I don't know who he/she is voting for, but I took the opportunity to inject some Obama sarcasm.

Those charges are legitimate, it's just the the supporters want to ignore the facts like they ignore every other fact they don't like up to and including the religious beliefs of others. So I wonder what makes everyone on the opposite side of the fence of people like you so bad and hateful when you yourself practice the same thing for a different purpose. If it is one thing I have seen throughout this election, it is the first hand account of the true kings of hypocrisy, inconsistency, and double standards the people on the far left really are. If I'm wrong, prove it. Don't attack me, prove it. Don't give me your emotion, give me logos. Attack a person's faith in the nonfactual with facts rather than with your own equally nonfactual beliefs and opinions which are nothing more than your own subjective view of the world.

Do not assume what what I believe religiously/spiritually. The fact that you would assume shows a lack of maturity in how you label people.

*Obama is a Muslim = joke.
    *Obama is most liberal senator = fact
    *His reverand is hateful and racist = fact