User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Good heavens, Exceptionalism and Manifest Destiny, these are Nineteenth Century newspaper cliches.

The fact is you have two parties of business. You have two business parties. You do not have a social democratic party. In essence you are a one party State.

Most of your people just don't bother to vote.
    1.) Look the word "manifest" up in a dictionary. The term "manifest destiny" has nothing to do with the actual definition of the word, as the former described an ideological national aspiration that was viewed as highly probable.

2.) The United States is a state-nation whose constitution and founding principles are based on classically liberal norms and ideals. Any successful political party has to ostensibly base its policies on these essential principles in order to gain support within a country characterized by a high degree of civic patriotism. Liberalism is not a monolith, and there is a huge difference between social-liberal and liberal-conservative parties.

3.) Australia mandates that people vote. The United States suffers from the "voter fatigue" phenomenon, which is a direct byproduct of the volume, diversity, and frequency of voting opportunities in the United States. Switzerland suffers from the same problem and for similar reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Victor at his best...
    My problem is that we have been allies with the Yankees since 1908 and we are afraid of being taken for granted.

So we find that being mildly annoying from time to time, gets us a little attention.

We try to modulate our annoyance so we just get the right amount of attention. But sometimes, I confess, I do go a little over the top.

So we are grateful, not only for the attention of the Yankees, but also their tolerance.

Victor at his best...
    However I have joined www.seesmic.com which is half French and half English.

And up till now I have only used French to add cache to my English but I am thinking of learning French so I can take part fully in the conversation.

Vive La France.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So we are grateful, not only for the attention of the Yankees, but also their tolerance.
    Indeed.

But it's intriguing: for a minute, you talked exactly like a Frenchman, when you replied to Lowtech Redneck.

I could have written exactly the same blistering answer, if I hadn't feared to embarrass my american friends.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Indeed.

But it's intriguing: for a minute, you talked exactly like a Frenchman, when you replied to Lowtech Redneck.

I could have written exactly the same blistering answer, if I hadn't feared to embarass my american friends.
    Well, we have a deprecating sense of humour, and not only self deprecating.

So we like to twist the tail of the tiger, and leap out of the way before he turns round.

While you have given them the Statue of Liberty which is a direct copy of your Goddess of Reason, which you originally installed in Notre Dame Cathedral.

So perhaps you might enjoy us annoying the tiger while you avoid embarrassing them.

Yankees are, after all, great fun.

MBTI
    INTP

My sense of humor and sense of irony maintains that America has the worst democratic system in the world...except for all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    My sense of humor and sense of irony maintains that America has the worst democratic system in the world...except for all the others.
    Well, you are on the right track along with Churchill.

However I am told the Germans have no sense of humour, but they know they have no sense of humour, but at least they are efficient. And you have no sense of humour but think you have the best sense of humour in the world. And of course you do.

But what I find interesting is that when you try to imitate our sense of humour, you fall a little flat. I have tried to teach our sense of humour to Yankees but they only become embarrassed for us.

I remember a Yankee guru addressing us. She started off by telling us we had a wonderful sense of humour but ended up by telling us that we were not only destructive, but destructive of self esteem.

And then I remembered that the government California has a Commission for Self Esteem just as the French government has an Academy for Correct French.

But you even went one step further with Noah Webster and tried to revolutionise the English language.

So perhaps you have something in common with the French with Correct French and your Revolutionary English.

After all, you are both Revolutionaries.

But it's intriguing: for a minute, you talked exactly like a Frenchman...
    They say we all have two countries - our own and France.

And we all have two cultures - our own and American.

MBTI
    ESFJ

What about Canada? It's the bastard child of England, France, and the United States, and they are some of the most humorous people in the world.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The part of the 'Religious Republican' ideoligy is that it implies that somehow if you aren't Republican and voting for McCain you are somehow immoral and 'UnAmerican'. How can a country that touts religious diversity be so ANTI everything un-Christian? Why does casting a vote for a Democrat, and this year a non-Christian, make me the bad guy?

:steam:

I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts on this problem into words that deliver the proper sentiment, (In true INTJ fashion) but in the end I feel that the un-American part is the intolerance for core values of our country. Diversity, Religious Freedom, Freedom of Speech, etc. These things get somehow turned around to equate to 'Christian' values... when they are being violated by the very thing propping them up!

There is a serious logical fallout in this mentality and I can't seem to express the true irony of it.
    Embrace the possibilities.