• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why people pray and go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

How often you go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

• Few times a week

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Once a week

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Few times a month

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Once a month

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Few times a year

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Major holidays only

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Never

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • I will never go

Votes: 12 18.2%

• Total voters

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What's all this I hear about "Hebrew School"? I got the impression it was pretty much mandatory for young Jews.

Teaches how to say the prayers, not what they mean. At least, usually not word-for-word. Also the Hebrew School I went to focused mostly on the stories in the Old Testament, and what you're supposed to learn from them.

I'm not criticizing, it's just what Dissonance said: People are lazy, even Jews.

Peguy, yeah, same effect for Latin masses, etc.

Last edited:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Teaches how to say the prayers, not what they mean. At least, usually not word-for-word. Also the Hebrew School I went to focused mostly on the stories in the Old Testament, and what you're supposed to learn from them.

I'm not criticizing, it's just what Dissonance said: People are lazy, even Jews.

I didn't think you were! Thanks for answering. I had always assumed Hebrew school involved learning what the words mean.

S

Sniffles

I had always assumed Hebrew school involved learning what the words mean.

School has never been about learning what words or anything for that matter really means. Hence why I'm thankful I never attended Catholic school, I might've actually lost my faith that way!

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I didn't think you were! Thanks for answering. I had always assumed Hebrew school involved learning what the words mean.
The translation is there in the book! :D Of course they teach the general intent of each song.

Since I learned to say it in Hebrew while I was little, I didn't realize (being a kid and all) that I had no clue what the specific words meant. Growing up, I started to realize this and tried to correct it, quickly.

S

Sniffles

Of course you wouldn't find me funny while I laugh at your expense ; )

Actually I have the remarkable ability to laugh at myself and my faith. I laughed all the time at sassafrassquatch's anti-religious photoshops here.

So sorry to disappoint you, but the fact still remains that you're just not funny - and all your attempts at comedy are patheticly lame.

redacted

What's all this I hear about "Hebrew School"? I got the impression it was pretty much mandatory for young Jews.

Edit: I think I just answered my own question, I went to edit and add "observant" in front of "Jews" and then I realized not all the people in synagogues on Saturdays are particularly observant.

Hebrew School is kind of a joke, at least the ones I attended.

We certainly don't learn Hebrew fluently, that's for sure. After one semester in French in 7th grade, I knew French 10x better than I knew Hebrew, even after 7 years of Hebrew School.

It's basically a community thing. Once people buy into the community, they just spout all the nonsense the community takes for granted.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't currently attend church regularly. I have in the past. I have social anxiety or I'm getting cranky in my old age or something and can't find one I like. Still pray most days, but it's just informal prayer, mostly asking for God's help for friends and loved ones and sometimes myself. But that's normal for my religion, unless you're praying in tongues.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
A lot of people are born into a religion that is chosen for them by their parents and some of them don't change that. They grow up with it and perhaps they like it, or it doesn't really bother them to want to change it. I know that, from being Roman Catholic, that going to church has a lot to do with community. I know very religious people who do extremely well academically, in the sciences, math, etc, but still have faith and believe in stories like the Virgin birth. It doesn't mean they are stupid people, only that questioning these things deeply isn't as important to them as other things. Where I live there aren't a lot of problems between people who have different religions. To each their own. I grew up praying everyday and attending masses at school and church, but I was never particularly religious. And now I wouldn't consider myself a practicing Catholic at all, but I have no resentment against how I was brought up and other people who do practice their religion. It's not particularly religion that I have a huge problem with because it's a cause of both good and bad things, but it's the people who use their religion for the wrong reasons that are the problem.

S

Sniffles

I don't currently attend church regularly. I have in the past. I have social anxiety or I'm getting cranky in my old age or something and can't find one I like. Still pray most days, but it's just informal prayer, mostly asking for God's help for friends and loved ones and sometimes myself. But that's normal for my religion, unless you're praying in tongues.

What's your religion cafe?

Rainman

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
To the OP, I'd say people do it because their parents or some other adult has influenced them into it. Although a false belief in my opinion, it gives the follower a sense of secuity/purpose to live their lives.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
What's your religion cafe?
Pentecostal Christian, probably closest to Assemblies of God.

On the subject of the thread: though I don't believe we can know whether there is a God in this lifetime, I believe in God and I guess I'm most comfortable in the religion I was raised in (and I use 'raised in' loosely). I love the music and emotion of a good Pentecostal church service. I love the Bible stories and enjoy the study/discussion of doctrine. I believe God has commanded believers to meet together to encourage one another and I would like my children to learn about the Bible and have/give that kind of encouragement.

I pray because sometimes that's all you can do and I believe that God hears and, taking into consideration his larger plan, answers. If it turns out there is no one listening or that s/he doesn't care, then I haven't lost anything. I still feel better for having prayed.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pentecostal Christian, probably closest to Assemblies of God.

On the subject of the thread: though I don't believe we can know whether there is a God in this lifetime, I believe in God and I guess I'm most comfortable in the religion I was raised in (and I use 'raised in' loosely). I love the music and emotion of a good Pentecostal church service. I love the Bible stories and enjoy the study/discussion of doctrine. I believe God has commanded believers to meet together to encourage one another and I would like my children to learn about the Bible and have/give that kind of encouragement.

I pray because sometimes that's all you can do and I believe that God hears and, taking into consideration his larger plan, answers. If it turns out there is no one listening or that s/he doesn't care, then I haven't lost anything. I still feel better for having prayed

Oh wow you just made my brain explode a little. That was cool.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't go, but here's the reason lots of other people go: Guilt.

Lol wouldn't that make them not wanna go? Fear of condemnation from others/God.

Oh wait...ur saying they go for forgivness to ease their guilt. Got it.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ahhh I guess that explains the thing with speaking in tongues. I've never been to a Pentecostal service before.

I have. My grandparents on my dad's side are Pentecostal. Much different than what I'm used to (Catholicism), though I've never been when they have spoke in tongues (fortunately ;)). My mom's side is Catholic, and my dad's parents actually threatened to not go to their wedding since my dad had to convert in order to get married. Lots of family tension has remained.

I go to church because it's a Catholic practice that has been around for a little under 2,000 years or so. It's being part of an organic (i.e. "growing") community that is united by the same faith in God. It is also a place to learn and to be spiritually cleansed. Church is a weekly reminder of who you are and what your purpose is.

Prayer is necessary in order to build your connection with God. If you don't pray, then God is nothing more than a "man sitting on a cloud". Some say that the strength of your faith depends on the strength of your prayers; I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I voted never..but I'm not sure if Nature counts as a temple/church etc. To me it is like a church...

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
You should try attending a Latin mass. ;)

I have, and I understand Latin. Boring. Pater Noster, qui est in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum, adveniat rengum tuum, ...

Latin is cool, though. Nice language.