• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why people pray and go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

How often you go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

• Few times a week

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Once a week

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Few times a month

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Once a month

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Few times a year

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Major holidays only

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Never

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • I will never go

Votes: 12 18.2%

• Total voters

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
True, but that is why I have said "little information"

What I actually don't understand is :
How can a prayer create a connection between you and god?

I am a spiritual retard.

For those that believe, I would imagine prayer doesn't "create the connection". Prayer would be more of utilizing the connection that already exists.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Interesting replys.

But everybody focused on "go to" part.

While there is actually very little information about why people pray.

Anyone wants to try that one?

I don't really pray by myself. But I do sometimes try to meditate, which is less about "communicating" and more about opening myself up to the universe and all the possibilities that exist therein. And when I participate in corporate prayer (prayer of the body... the collective), I do so with the hope that it makes a difference within and without communities.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^^Yeah, something like picking up a phone.

I agree.

In my case, praying is as easy as thinking. I don't need to be down on my knees, hands clasped, eyes closed, and concentrating. It's something more personal and casual than that. I save those harder moments for when they come and when I'm attending ceremony. Everytime I see an ambulance go by I say something..

When it comes to being a devote Anything praying is the easiest and closest way to stay true and straight. Some people Rely on it, while others use it to accent themselves.. It just depends on the person and religion. I count it entirely as keeping one close to 'God', but I do not count it as an obligation.. because praying I think is proportionate only to whatever you need to pray for. It's not ALL necessary for devote-ness.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I guess I am too T and too atheistic to understand.

Thanks anyway.

For me the entire sphere of spirituality doesn't exist.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I engage in serious prayer, it's usually for focusing inward on what I need to improve about myself. "Need to" because I will burn in an eternal fire if I don't? Well, personally no. I tend to think that disappointing myself and ending up in disastrous situations that I know I could have avoided, and are therefore my fault, is kind of like a "lake of fire" punishment. It sounds a little melodramatic when you say it that way, though.

You will notice that this basically amounts to a little "strategic planning session". For me, I guess that's what it is, dealing mainly with emotions and motives instead of numbers. Since that introspection is a strategy session for the most basic and fundamental pillars of my life (that's what prayer concerns, things like emotions and motives), it is important and meaningful enough that I may call it "spiritually fulfilling".

I'm not really sure myself. I tried to describe it, so this is somewhat close.

Edit: Maybe you could say that prayer is my N-time? Time that I privately devote to studying the big picture...that sounds right. That's how I treat "prayer", anyway. I just made that connection...

Last edited:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yes. And what if someone considers them the same thing?
Then I'd say, more power to them, because such wonderful and useful things can be learned exclusively via intro and intraspecting.

The more you know, understand and accept yourself the more you can then know, understand and accept everyone else.

:)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I won't even become a member of the Church of Satan.

Or the Church of Atheism, which exists, but atheists tend to be in denial about it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Edit: Maybe you could say that prayer is my N-time? Time that I privately devote to studying the big picture...that sounds right. That's how I treat "prayer", anyway. I just made that connection...

I was thinking the same thing for a long time.
Problably this is the truth when it comes to S and prayer.