• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why people pray and go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

How often you go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

• Few times a week

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Once a week

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Few times a month

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Once a month

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Few times a year

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Major holidays only

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Never

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • I will never go

Votes: 12 18.2%

• Total voters

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I also wanted to add that I have picked up most of my communitty service activities through my mosque. It's mainly because of how much my parents and they remind me that god orders us to love others if we are to love him. Soup kitchen, free tutoring, helping old people with shopping and other things, visiting sick people in the hospital and cheering them up with magic tricks and fun stuff. I get to do/organize many of the fun and helpful events with like minded people here, so I really do feel like I am giving back as a I should.

But just to reemphasize, I truly try to keep my intention in that of the service of god. It is hard, but the more you believe the easier it is to keep your intentions purely to the creator.

But would you do these things simply for the sake of doing them? This is what I am not understanding. Does attaching God to it make it more...palatable? You can't do them simply because?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
But would you do these things simply for the sake of doing them? This is what I am not understanding. Does attaching God to it make it more...palatable? You can't do them simply because?

Yeah this what I was thinking about too. I think most of the religious people who are really into service and giving would still do it even if they weren't religious. But the Church will encourage lots of people to help others, people who maybe wouldn't have otherwise.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I guess I was more wondering what your personal reasoning is.. Most people I know who are of the more liberal or skeptical side of faith rarely attach God to anything other than spiritual/religious matters, you wouldn't know they were people of faith unless the topic came up.

I am agnostic. However, I do believe that there is something powerful in community, something bigger than us, that can work as a cohesive agent if people are part of an intentional collective devoted to honoring that cohesive agent. That honoring is like the Hindu greeting "namaste." That which is divine/holy/sacred/good in me greets that which is divine/holy/sacred/good in you. Is it God? I don't know. It's a good enough word for it, and it is more powerful than niceties. It is more powerful than politeness or tolerance. And if helping/compassion are simply natural and human, as I would like to believe it is but certainly have reason to doubt, then perhaps this cohesive agent is our pure humanity. I suppose I could call it that instead, but given the violence of humanity, it seems somewhat inadequate to me.

I am a person of immensely complicated faith, but I hope that my actions can consistently honor the good/God that we have in common. I hope that it is very apparent even before the topic comes up.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The last time I made the conscious decision to go to church was a couple of years ago when there was a German mass being held at this old Catholic church in town. I wanted to go for two reasons: (1) I was curious to try out my German comprehension skills and (2) the architecture and general magnificence of the building, inside and out, are an experience in themselves (oh and (3), I was going to get extra credit for my German class, though I didn't really need it so that wasn't an important factor).

I always thought that the closest I've ever come to having what is often described as a religious "experience" was when I was all worked up by the aesthetic splendor of the cathedral in combination with their wonderful choir. In the moment I never thought I'd seen or heard anything so beautiful.

I voted "Never", though, because I don't think I have the desire or the gumption to ever go again. But I can understand the sublime appeal of some of the grand Catholic (or Orthodox) services. What I can't understand is how people actually bring themselves to go to those churches that hold services in a room that resembles a children's classroom (or worse, some sort of basement). And if I can fully understand the "preacher", then all charm is lost for me. At least with the Catholic priests you get this otherworldly/surreal feel, like they're not for real, like it's some sort of performance.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP

sure you could.

To me though, I think if god didn't exist than morallity would need not exist either. I should only work on maximizing the pleasure I can get in this life since it is the only one. I should work on trying to get around laws and anything that limits the limit of my hedonistic pleasure. None the less, I personally believe that god will give me ultimate happiness in the hereafter if I do his work here on earth.

/Brothers Karamazov

I am not saying that if my belief in god didn't exist I wouldn't do good, I am just sure I would do much less of it. Remember my earlier answer, I do it to please god first and foremost.

S

Sniffles

I think that people find God in each other, and that may mean that devotion to community/nurturing of each other/concern for other people and devotion to God are one in the same.

I'm not saying they're mutually exclusive. The two great commandmants are Love God and Love thy Neighbor. But they're not literally the same.

This ties into the issue of "Christ and Culture" that Niebuhr articulated on. The perspective you basically outlined seems to fit into the one of "Christ as culture" where religion and community are combined. This is the standard cultural Christian view of things.

I take the view of "Christ above culture", where religion is above community, because it helps affirms and uplift the nature of the community.

Or something like that.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I am agnostic. However, I do believe that there is something powerful in community, something bigger than us, that can work as a cohesive agent if people are part of an intentional collective devoted to honoring that cohesive agent. That honoring is like the Hindu greeting "namaste." That which is divine/holy/sacred/good in me greets that which is divine/holy/sacred/good in you. Is it God? I don't know. It's a good enough word for it, and it is more powerful than niceties. It is more powerful than politeness or tolerance. And if helping/compassion are simply natural and human, as I would like to believe it is but certainly have reason to doubt, then perhaps this cohesive agent is our pure humanity. I suppose I could call it that instead, but given the violence of humanity, it seems somewhat inadequate to me.

I am a person of immensely complicated faith, but I hope that my actions can consistently honor the good/God that we have in common. I hope that it is very apparent even before the topic comes up.

The word "God" definitely does attach greater meaning to it. On "humanity" though, could you just accept the good along with the bad in humanity? Or does "the bad" soil the word too much for you?

However, I do believe that there is something powerful in community, something bigger than us, that can work as a cohesive agent if people are part of an intentional collective devoted to honoring that cohesive agent.

communism? hehehe

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
You are right this is vouyerism.

I know how thing work in the big picture but it looks to me that big part of what is important in this story is locked on personal level.

Also I am very expressed atheist.(especially by USA standards)
So I am trying to understand the other side.

Plus I am interested in statistic of forum members when it comes to this.

Good luck to you then.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Why people pray and go to church.synagogue,mosque....? I am asking myself this question for a long time and however I try to look at this, the entire thing doesn't have too much sense. (to me)

So, why people do this?

Whet religion means to individuals on this forum ?
Imagine that you are a child trapped on the roof of a burning building. Your family has perished inside. There is no one around to help you. You come to the realization that you are going to die. Just in time, a man shows up in a helicopter and throws down a rope to you. You grab onto the rope and are carried off to safety.

You are eternally grateful to this man for saving your life. You find out that he is the eldest son of a very wealthy and entirely benevolent man who adopts you into his family, provides for all your needs and treats you like one of his own children, including giving you an inheritance. The father's kindness and unconditional love for you make you feel more special than you have ever felt in your entire life. You feel cherished and loved, not only by him, but by his whole family. In return, there is nothing you would not do for him or the other family members if they asked you.

You eventually grow up and decide to set out into the world. The kind man who adopted you asks only one thing of you before you go. He requests that you would come to his home once a week, to break bread with his other children and to enjoy each other's good company. He also offers that if you ever need anything, you should feel free to call and ask. Also, he runs a charitable organization and any time you would like to be involved in the good work he is doing, you are always welcome.

That is a little parable that describes why I go to church and why I pray. I was the child on the roof of the burning building. Jesus Christ saved me from the burning hell that I was headed for. God the Father adopted me into His family where I experience love and acceptance. Attending church is when I get to meet with my other brothers and sisters in Christ and enjoy their encouragement and comfort. When I call on the Father through prayer, He hears me and helps me. Finally, I choose to take part in the good works that the Father is doing since I know that is pleasing to Him.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Every once in a (long) while I'll go to church for family reasons (mostly to spend more time with my nieces and nephews), otherwise I never go.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
In the film Bes Vakit, the community were called to prayer (via song) about four times a day.

The action of touching your head to the floor and having time for introspection and mindfulness, repeatedly, and over the long term, I would have thought would have a substantially positive effect.

I don't think I'll ever outright believe in a deity, but I can't say I'm not envious at times. It even makes sense to me. How else would you get people to do such a thing?

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Give them money? Love?

I go to my (Buddhist) temple about once a year. Their gardens are nice. It's a good environment. The leaves and the plants and the calmness of the people, and the hypnotic chants. Where one can feel one with the peace and contemplate without much real-life static-interference.* The food is also heavenly.

*No environment is more oppressing when forced into, though.

I've been to lots of churches (their buildings are often used for events), but never a church serivce. And part of a synagogue service held in a place that was literally a school auditorium on weekdays:

Orangey said:
What I can't understand is how people actually bring themselves to go to those churches that hold services in a room that resembles a children's classroom (or worse, some sort of basement). And if I can fully understand the "preacher", then all charm is lost for me. At least with the Catholic priests you get this otherworldly/surreal feel, like they're not for real, like it's some sort of performance.
They're not tourists! The words mean something to them. It *is* real.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
They're not tourists! The words mean something to them. It *is* real.

Um...no kidding. The point of my post was to illustrate that they don't mean anything to *me*, and that I prefer it when it seems less real. So when I have to hear a sermon that I can understand (meaning that it's in English and is being performed by someone who regularly speaks English), and there is only talking and no pretty rituals or architecture or hymns being sung by a choir, then I have to GTFO.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Eileen, can I put my name in your signature? Because pretty much everything you've said I could've said as well. (Probably not as eloquently, though.)

When I go to church, which is not that often for a variety of reasons, I go to drink from a well of hope. I'm agnostic with both atheistic and theistic leanings (in other words, confused) but on my deepest level I simply HOPE that there is something bigger out there/in there.

I also go to feel connected to a body of people who wish and hope and doubt and believe in all kinds of ratios. I like the differences between us, and I like that I have a community where we're not pressured to stay quiet if we think differently from another community member. There isn't much groupthink there.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'll go with my family if they want me to but on my own, never.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm not going at the moment because I'm not near a church, but when I go it's to meet up with others who love God.
It's actually really amazing to see what happens between you and God when you don't go to church (because you can't, not because you're being difficult). You don't have the people and the usual stuff that keeps you into it, it's just you and God and he keeps You together instead of the churchy, crutchy things. I've grown a lot from having to rely on only Him. It'll be good to go again though, when I can.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
God is pretty much dead to me without community. Heresy? Maybe, but I don't think so. It's called "the Body of Christ" for a reason.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
God is pretty much dead to me without community. Heresy? Maybe, but I don't think so. It's called "the Body of Christ" for a reason.

Don't say that, I am sure you just mean to say that communitty is an important aspect in religion. I am sure you can't say that everything god has provided you has only been in the sense of communitty.

Just to let you know, I am not attacking you, just wanted to see if I was clarifying what you said. I apologize if it was wrong.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Im not sure about christians and others.. but for me in particular, everything is based on the self. I do what I do daily, but when it comes to religious services, major holidays are generally the excuses made to ensure I pay timely respects without seeming as if I am too busy to do this all the time, or blowing it off all year. XD So I guess I'm the only holiday person here.