User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often you go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Few times a week

4 5.88%
  • Once a week

11 16.18%
  • Few times a month

2 2.94%
  • Once a month

1 1.47%
  • Few times a year

8 11.76%
  • Major holidays only

4 5.88%
  • Never

26 38.24%
  • I will never go

12 17.65%
First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    I've heard some stories about why else people believe other than it ran in the family...getting cured from a disease, other sort of random coincidences...and I think it's far more likely that it was anything BUT divine intervention, as opposed TO it, don't you?

If you approach religion with a cool head, you'll realize that indeed...

Religion Is Bullshit.

But if my direct and heavy-handed way doesn't do the trick, then maybe a lot of laughter will make it go down:

YouTube - George Carlin - Religion is Bullshit - HQ
    You know, it's a long-standing principle of rhetoric that you don't go persuading an audience by insulting and alienating them first :rolli:.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I've heard some stories about why else people believe other than it ran in the family...getting cured from a disease, other sort of random coincidences...and I think it's far more likely that it was anything BUT divine intervention, as opposed TO it, don't you?

Religion Is Bullshit.

But if my direct and heavy-handed way doesn't do the trick, then maybe a lot of laughter will make it go down:

YouTube - George Carlin - Religion is Bullshit - HQ
    Soo.. How about enough with the religion bashing in a thread based mainly on religion, eh? There are plenty of other awesome atheist threads already in place for such things.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

IlyaK1986 probably shouldn't be taken too seriously in this thread. I'm surprised he got a couple replies.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    You know, it's a long-standing principle of rhetoric that you don't go persuading an audience by insulting and alienating them first :rolli:.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Soo.. How about enough with the religion bashing in a thread based mainly on religion, eh? There are plenty of other awesome atheist threads already in place for such things.
    These chicas speak truth.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...not-exist.html

Enjoy!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

*waves to kyuuei* another Christmas/Easter Christian!

I go when forced to go by my mother- meaning when I'm home for the holidays. I resent this, as I loathe "praise music" and being hugged by strangers

I willingly went to church while in Brazil- not necissarily for religious reasons (I'm not an atheist, but I definitley fall into the deist category instead of Christian). I liked the peacefullness inside of the churches there- and there's also something absolutley lovely about going to Latin Mass when the priest sings the service- like a very peaceful theater presentation of sorts. It was also a nice chance to collect my thoughts and observe how people behave. Church functions were also nice to attend there because it was a chance to interact with a variety of people who I probably wouldn't have otherwise and the food was awesome.

Everyone has thier own reasons for going- if I found somewhere that would lay off all of the contemporary crap that I hate here (power point presentations, bringing politics into religion, forgetting the idea that helping the poor is one of the most noble things you can do, PRAISE MUSIC... you know, all that evangelical bullshit that was added to make religion more appealing to the masses) I'd probably go every once in a while still.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

I go when forced to go by my mother- meaning when I'm home for the holidays. I resent this, as I loathe "praise music" and being hugged by strangers

I willingly went to church while in Brazil- not necissarily for religious reasons (I'm not an atheist, but I definitley fall into the deist category instead of Christian). I liked the peacefullness inside of the churches there- and there's also something absolutley lovely about going to Latin Mass when the priest sings the service- like a very peaceful theater presentation of sorts. It was also a nice chance to collect my thoughts and observe how people behave. Church functions were also nice to attend there because it was a chance to interact with a variety of people who I probably wouldn't have otherwise and the food was awesome.

Everyone has thier own reasons for going- if I found somewhere that would lay off all of the contemporary crap that I hate here (power point presentations, bringing politics into religion, forgetting the idea that helping the poor is one of the most noble things you can do, PRAISE MUSIC... you know, all that evangelical bullshit that was added to make religion more appealing to the masses) I'd probably go every once in a while still.
    You're onto something there.. I went to a buddhist meeting thing every sunday in basic.. it was very soothing, and had a lovely feel to the chanting. Also, I went to a VERY strict Catholic mass one time. If it weren't for the fact I don't agree at all with what they're saying, I'd have loved the atmosphere and presentation of it all. Im a very enviornmental person.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I haven't been able to go much because of my job. So it basically is the four vacation weeks scattered throughout the year. I used to do vacation relief in the winter (where I fill in for others, including those with weekends off, week by week), and get more Sundays off, but I can't take the different schedules anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

I always thought the practice in our church (one of several NYC "Tabernacles" which are large loosely affiliated Independent Assemblies of God) was shallow, where there are too many people for everyone to know each other, so they tell everyone to hug the person next to you. That to me is a substitute for true closeness. I prefer smaller churches, but my wife got into the ministry in this one.
    Go to an old line fundamental Baptist, or Reformed church. They not only avoid the contemporary style, they remain steady bashing it!
    some of what they say has a lot of truth, though sometimes, the contemporary criticism can get into a bit of bigotry. (as it assumes "traditional" Western forms are the only true way. Both traditional and contemporary are mostly extrabiblical. church was originally in the NT a fellowship of people in the home).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Religion Is Bullshit.

But if my direct and heavy-handed way doesn't do the trick, then maybe a lot of laughter will make it go down
    Probably not.

I can laugh at religion, there's a lot to make fun of (and I recommend the magazine "The Wittenburg Door" for some of its satire, although some is lame); but honestly you sort of just disenfranchise yourself by consistently pushing such an extreme and un-nuanced stance.

You seem to mostly be speaking just for yourself, not for the bulk of people out there... not even for the intellectual sorts.

As far as church, I started going again in August because I wanted to, and I missed it. I have only attended about twice a month at the moment, because sometimes I just had other things I had to get done or needed rest. I'd like to attend more again, it's nice to be sharing religious experience with other people again and feeling in commune with people and God in that context. Plus, they engage and challenge me in good ways, and give me a way to contribute.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Interesting replys.

But everybody focused on "go to" part.

While there is actually very little information about why people pray.

Anyone wants to try that one?

MBTI
    INTJ

a few people addressed prayer