User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often you go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Few times a week

4 5.88%
  • Once a week

11 16.18%
  • Few times a month

2 2.94%
  • Once a month

1 1.47%
  • Few times a year

8 11.76%
  • Major holidays only

4 5.88%
  • Never

26 38.24%
  • I will never go

12 17.65%
First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    Don't say that, I am sure you just mean to say that communitty is an important aspect in religion. I am sure you can't say that everything god has provided you has only been in the sense of communitty.

Just to let you know, I am not attacking you, just wanted to see if I was clarifying what you said. I apologize if it was wrong.
    I guess it's a dramatic way to say it, but God is revealed to me primarily through community. Even when I'm alone, where God is revealed to me is through things like nature and feeling "part" of something immense. So community and being a part of something is it for me.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    God is pretty much dead to me without community. Heresy? Maybe, but I don't think so. It's called "the Body of Christ" for a reason.
    I don't know if that was directed at me or not, but yes I agree with you. I won't go that extreme, but I agree that you need the security of the community.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    I don't know if that was directed at me or not, but yes I agree with you. I won't go that extreme, but I agree that you need the security of the community.
    It wasn't directed at you, but it was in response to your comments.

And for me, it's not really even about security--where I believe there is something bigger than me is with other people. It's not that it doesn't exist when I'm isolated; it's just diluted and less meaningful.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Why do people go? For the same reason they buy stocks that have been going up after five years and sell when stocks are ridiculously low.

Because they're idiots. It's what they've been told was right by the idiots before them and what they'll tell to their idiot children.

I find it amazing how you have people with deep religious beliefs obtaining Ph.Ds. They want to think independently yet they can't question the blatantly untrue. Any time I see someone wearing religious clothing (Muslims make it the most obvious), I laugh to myself at how worthless their Ph.Ds are, since that headscarf Muslim women wear is by far and away a testament to their utter inability to think independently than their Ph.D ever will be to the converse.

There's a law that states you cannot discriminate on hiring by religion. I say it needs to be abolished. What better evidence of utter inability to think critically is there by believing in utter bullshit started more than 1000 years ago and doing so simply because the one generation up in your family did it?
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Why do people go? For the same reason they buy stocks that have been going up after five years and sell when stocks are ridiculously low.

Because they're idiots. It's what they've been told was right by the idiots before them and what they'll tell to their idiot children.

I find it amazing how you have people with deep religious beliefs obtaining Ph.Ds. They want to think independently yet they can't question the blatantly untrue. Any time I see someone wearing religious clothing (Muslims make it the most obvious), I laugh to myself at how worthless their Ph.Ds are, since that headscarf Muslim women wear is by far and away a testament to their utter inability to think independently than their Ph.D ever will be to the converse.

There's a law that states you cannot discriminate on hiring by religion. I say it needs to be abolished. What better evidence of utter inability to think critically is there by believing in utter bullshit started more than 1000 years ago and doing so simply because the one generation up in your family did it?

Or perhaps they have experienced something you haven't. Perhaps their experiences are actually wider, not narrower, than yours. I am not a certain believer. I am skeptical of all people who believe they know the answers. And I am fairly repelled by those who believe they know the answers AND look down on other people for not knowing.
    INFJ

MBTI
    ENTJ

Or perhaps they have experienced something you haven't. Perhaps their experiences are actually wider, not narrower, than yours. I am not a certain believer. I am skeptical of all people who believe they know the answers. And I am fairly repelled by those who believe they know the answers AND look down on other people for not knowing.
    Did I ever say I have the answers that everyone seeks? I don't know if there's a higher being or beings, but if there are, they have yet to show themselves. And anyone that believes in something because some loudmouthed idiot said so 1400 years ago or longer...well...what's there to say?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Did I ever say I have the answers that everyone seeks? I don't know if there's a higher being or beings, but if there are, they have yet to show themselves. And anyone that believes in something because some loudmouthed idiot said so 1400 years ago or longer...well...what's there to say?
    Whoa whoa. Chill a bit, no one's attacking you here sweets. That's a very negative way of saying all that.. >.o No need to insult anyone over their beliefs just because they see something entirely different from you.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I think that you are being pretty presumptuous about why people believe. The beings haven't really shown themselves to me in any verifiable way, but that doesn't mean that someone else is flagrantly stupid for being convicted of something I don't have conviction about.
    INFJ

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

When pluralism dies or is killed in democracy, the mental image of Wylie putting a gun to his head comes to mind cause he's 'seen it all'
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

MBTI
    ENTJ

I think that you are being pretty presumptuous about why people believe. The beings haven't really shown themselves to me in any verifiable way, but that doesn't mean that someone else is flagrantly stupid for being convicted of something I don't have conviction about.
    I've heard some stories about why else people believe other than it ran in the family...getting cured from a disease, other sort of random coincidences...and I think it's far more likely that it was anything BUT divine intervention, as opposed TO it, don't you?

If you approach religion with a cool head, you'll realize that indeed...

Religion Is Bullshit.

But if my direct and heavy-handed way doesn't do the trick, then maybe a lot of laughter will make it go down:

YouTube - George Carlin - Religion is Bullshit - HQ