• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why people pray and go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

How often you go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

• Few times a week

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Once a week

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Few times a month

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Once a month

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Few times a year

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Major holidays only

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Never

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • I will never go

Votes: 12 18.2%

• Total voters

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Don't say that, I am sure you just mean to say that communitty is an important aspect in religion. I am sure you can't say that everything god has provided you has only been in the sense of communitty.

Just to let you know, I am not attacking you, just wanted to see if I was clarifying what you said. I apologize if it was wrong.

I guess it's a dramatic way to say it, but God is revealed to me primarily through community. Even when I'm alone, where God is revealed to me is through things like nature and feeling "part" of something immense. So community and being a part of something is it for me.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
God is pretty much dead to me without community. Heresy? Maybe, but I don't think so. It's called "the Body of Christ" for a reason.

I don't know if that was directed at me or not, but yes I agree with you. I won't go that extreme, but I agree that you need the security of the community.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I don't know if that was directed at me or not, but yes I agree with you. I won't go that extreme, but I agree that you need the security of the community.

It wasn't directed at you, but it was in response to your comments.

And for me, it's not really even about security--where I believe there is something bigger than me is with other people. It's not that it doesn't exist when I'm isolated; it's just diluted and less meaningful.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Why do people go? For the same reason they buy stocks that have been going up after five years and sell when stocks are ridiculously low.

Because they're idiots. It's what they've been told was right by the idiots before them and what they'll tell to their idiot children.

I find it amazing how you have people with deep religious beliefs obtaining Ph.Ds. They want to think independently yet they can't question the blatantly untrue. Any time I see someone wearing religious clothing (Muslims make it the most obvious), I laugh to myself at how worthless their Ph.Ds are, since that headscarf Muslim women wear is by far and away a testament to their utter inability to think independently than their Ph.D ever will be to the converse.

There's a law that states you cannot discriminate on hiring by religion. I say it needs to be abolished. What better evidence of utter inability to think critically is there by believing in utter bullshit started more than 1000 years ago and doing so simply because the one generation up in your family did it?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Why do people go? For the same reason they buy stocks that have been going up after five years and sell when stocks are ridiculously low.

Because they're idiots. It's what they've been told was right by the idiots before them and what they'll tell to their idiot children.

I find it amazing how you have people with deep religious beliefs obtaining Ph.Ds. They want to think independently yet they can't question the blatantly untrue. Any time I see someone wearing religious clothing (Muslims make it the most obvious), I laugh to myself at how worthless their Ph.Ds are, since that headscarf Muslim women wear is by far and away a testament to their utter inability to think independently than their Ph.D ever will be to the converse.

There's a law that states you cannot discriminate on hiring by religion. I say it needs to be abolished. What better evidence of utter inability to think critically is there by believing in utter bullshit started more than 1000 years ago and doing so simply because the one generation up in your family did it?

Or perhaps they have experienced something you haven't. Perhaps their experiences are actually wider, not narrower, than yours. I am not a certain believer. I am skeptical of all people who believe they know the answers. And I am fairly repelled by those who believe they know the answers AND look down on other people for not knowing.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Or perhaps they have experienced something you haven't. Perhaps their experiences are actually wider, not narrower, than yours. I am not a certain believer. I am skeptical of all people who believe they know the answers. And I am fairly repelled by those who believe they know the answers AND look down on other people for not knowing.

Did I ever say I have the answers that everyone seeks? I don't know if there's a higher being or beings, but if there are, they have yet to show themselves. And anyone that believes in something because some loudmouthed idiot said so 1400 years ago or longer...well...what's there to say?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Did I ever say I have the answers that everyone seeks? I don't know if there's a higher being or beings, but if there are, they have yet to show themselves. And anyone that believes in something because some loudmouthed idiot said so 1400 years ago or longer...well...what's there to say?

Whoa whoa. Chill a bit, no one's attacking you here sweets. That's a very negative way of saying all that.. >.o No need to insult anyone over their beliefs just because they see something entirely different from you.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?

I think that you are being pretty presumptuous about why people believe. The beings haven't really shown themselves to me in any verifiable way, but that doesn't mean that someone else is flagrantly stupid for being convicted of something I don't have conviction about.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When pluralism dies or is killed in democracy, the mental image of Wylie putting a gun to his head comes to mind cause he's 'seen it all' ;)

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think that you are being pretty presumptuous about why people believe. The beings haven't really shown themselves to me in any verifiable way, but that doesn't mean that someone else is flagrantly stupid for being convicted of something I don't have conviction about.

I've heard some stories about why else people believe other than it ran in the family...getting cured from a disease, other sort of random coincidences...and I think it's far more likely that it was anything BUT divine intervention, as opposed TO it, don't you?

If you approach religion with a cool head, you'll realize that indeed...

Religion Is Bullshit.

But if my direct and heavy-handed way doesn't do the trick, then maybe a lot of laughter will make it go down:

YouTube - George Carlin - Religion is Bullshit - HQ

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I've heard some stories about why else people believe other than it ran in the family...getting cured from a disease, other sort of random coincidences...and I think it's far more likely that it was anything BUT divine intervention, as opposed TO it, don't you?

Religion Is Bullshit.

But if my direct and heavy-handed way doesn't do the trick, then maybe a lot of laughter will make it go down:

You know, it's a long-standing principle of rhetoric that you don't go persuading an audience by insulting and alienating them first :rolli:.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

Religion Is Bullshit.

Soo.. How about enough with the religion bashing in a thread based mainly on religion, eh? There are plenty of other awesome atheist threads already in place for such things.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
IlyaK1986 probably shouldn't be taken too seriously in this thread. I'm surprised he got a couple replies.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
You know, it's a long-standing principle of rhetoric that you don't go persuading an audience by insulting and alienating them first :rolli:.

Soo.. How about enough with the religion bashing in a thread based mainly on religion, eh? There are plenty of other awesome atheist threads already in place for such things.
These chicas speak truth.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...heisia-i-e-place-where-gods-do-not-exist.html

Enjoy!!!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*waves to kyuuei* another Christmas/Easter Christian! :holy:

I go when forced to go by my mother- meaning when I'm home for the holidays. I resent this, as I loathe "praise music" and being hugged by strangers :dry:

I willingly went to church while in Brazil- not necissarily for religious reasons (I'm not an atheist, but I definitley fall into the deist category instead of Christian). I liked the peacefullness inside of the churches there- and there's also something absolutley lovely about going to Latin Mass when the priest sings the service- like a very peaceful theater presentation of sorts. It was also a nice chance to collect my thoughts and observe how people behave. Church functions were also nice to attend there because it was a chance to interact with a variety of people who I probably wouldn't have otherwise and the food was awesome.

Everyone has thier own reasons for going- if I found somewhere that would lay off all of the contemporary crap that I hate here (power point presentations, bringing politics into religion, forgetting the idea that helping the poor is one of the most noble things you can do, PRAISE MUSIC... you know, all that evangelical bullshit that was added to make religion more appealing to the masses) I'd probably go every once in a while still. :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

I go when forced to go by my mother- meaning when I'm home for the holidays. I resent this, as I loathe "praise music" and being hugged by strangers :dry:

I willingly went to church while in Brazil- not necissarily for religious reasons (I'm not an atheist, but I definitley fall into the deist category instead of Christian). I liked the peacefullness inside of the churches there- and there's also something absolutley lovely about going to Latin Mass when the priest sings the service- like a very peaceful theater presentation of sorts. It was also a nice chance to collect my thoughts and observe how people behave. Church functions were also nice to attend there because it was a chance to interact with a variety of people who I probably wouldn't have otherwise and the food was awesome.

Everyone has thier own reasons for going- if I found somewhere that would lay off all of the contemporary crap that I hate here (power point presentations, bringing politics into religion, forgetting the idea that helping the poor is one of the most noble things you can do, PRAISE MUSIC... you know, all that evangelical bullshit that was added to make religion more appealing to the masses) I'd probably go every once in a while still. :)

You're onto something there.. I went to a buddhist meeting thing every sunday in basic.. it was very soothing, and had a lovely feel to the chanting. Also, I went to a VERY strict Catholic mass one time. If it weren't for the fact I don't agree at all with what they're saying, I'd have loved the atmosphere and presentation of it all. Im a very enviornmental person.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't been able to go much because of my job. So it basically is the four vacation weeks scattered throughout the year. I used to do vacation relief in the winter (where I fill in for others, including those with weekends off, week by week), and get more Sundays off, but I can't take the different schedules anymore.

I always thought the practice in our church (one of several NYC "Tabernacles" which are large loosely affiliated Independent Assemblies of God) was shallow, where there are too many people for everyone to know each other, so they tell everyone to hug the person next to you. That to me is a substitute for true closeness. I prefer smaller churches, but my wife got into the ministry in this one.
Go to an old line fundamental Baptist, or Reformed church. They not only avoid the contemporary style, they remain steady bashing it!
some of what they say has a lot of truth, though sometimes, the contemporary criticism can get into a bit of bigotry. (as it assumes "traditional" Western forms are the only true way. Both traditional and contemporary are mostly extrabiblical. church was originally in the NT a fellowship of people in the home).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Religion Is Bullshit.

But if my direct and heavy-handed way doesn't do the trick, then maybe a lot of laughter will make it go down

Probably not.

I can laugh at religion, there's a lot to make fun of (and I recommend the magazine "The Wittenburg Door" for some of its satire, although some is lame); but honestly you sort of just disenfranchise yourself by consistently pushing such an extreme and un-nuanced stance.

You seem to mostly be speaking just for yourself, not for the bulk of people out there... not even for the intellectual sorts.

As far as church, I started going again in August because I wanted to, and I missed it. I have only attended about twice a month at the moment, because sometimes I just had other things I had to get done or needed rest. I'd like to attend more again, it's nice to be sharing religious experience with other people again and feeling in commune with people and God in that context. Plus, they engage and challenge me in good ways, and give me a way to contribute.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Interesting replys.

But everybody focused on "go to" part.

While there is actually very little information about why people pray.

Anyone wants to try that one?