User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often you go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Few times a week

4 5.88%
  • Once a week

11 16.18%
  • Few times a month

2 2.94%
  • Once a month

1 1.47%
  • Few times a year

8 11.76%
  • Major holidays only

4 5.88%
  • Never

26 38.24%
  • I will never go

12 17.65%
First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Community and togetherness are certainly an important aspect of religious and spiritual life; were we connect with each other before God. But of course it's secondary to the geniune devotion to the Lord, which is the heart of any spiritual life.
    I think that people find God in each other, and that may mean that devotion to community/nurturing of each other/concern for other people and devotion to God are one in the same.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    The reason I *can* go to church with my doubts and not feel hypocritical is that I have found a community where doubt is acceptable.

I am absolutely not making the assertion that you should go to church for any reason, but I think that when people say "community" is an important reason that they go, often (not always) they're referring to something deeper than social hour with donuts. Community is probably my number one reason--but my sense of community is fostered by shared values and concerns, shared experiences, and the like. I participate in my spiritual communities usually by sharing my talents and working with youth--because I think that communities can be instrumental in producing well-rounded and thoughtful children. Community can--and should--be more than gabbing and gossip.
    Yes, this makes sense. I know it highly depends on the church and how it jives with your own views.

I agree with you that the community aspect can be much deeper and more meaningful. For a few years, I did experience that in a religious setting, but I am mentally so far beyond that now that it simply isn't the setting any longer where I'd have shared values with anyone. I mean, ethically/whatever I think I'd still have a lot of similarities; however, I am much closer to atheism at this point (certainly not a notion of 'God' that is present in any religious context), so I would definitely lack the basic foundation upon which the community was built.

I think that this is probably a reasonable thing to be frustrated with, though I would point out that you probably don't have access to all information and that lots of people have a variety of reasons, good and bad, for showing up.
    Yes, I agree.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think that people find God in each other, and that may mean that devotion to community/nurturing of each other/concern for other people and devotion to God are one in the same.
    Why attach "God" to everything that's good on earth? If I want to do things that help the community, give blood, donate food, plant trees... I'd like to leave God out of that. Helping people is a normal and human thing to do.

MBTI
    ENFP

I go to my mosque twice a day, and if I am free at other times during the day, I go also. Muslims are supposed to pray five times a day, I wish I could pray them all at the mosque, but school doesn't allow me, so I only go to the morining prayer and the night prayer.

No joke here, I actually feel bad if I miss a day.

Mon-thur = 2x (more if free)
    Fri = 3x
    Sat+sun = 2-5x (usually only 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    So the purpose of the question is vouyerism? What do you hope to gain by learning the details of individual beliefs (or non-beliefs)? Are you trying to adapt theirs' to yourself?
    You are right this is vouyerism.

I know how thing work in the big picture but it looks to me that big part of what is important in this story is locked on personal level.

Also I am very expressed atheist.(especially by USA standards)
    So I am trying to understand the other side.

Plus I am interested in statistic of forum members when it comes to this.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

devotion to community/nurturing of each other/concern for other people and devotion to God are one in the same.
    No I don't believe that.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Fundamental principle of psychology: All human activity is aimed at the end of generating positive sentiment.

In short, people simply wish to feel well.

Interacting with other people gives them direct affirmation. For example, they are rewarded by their community for behaving in a certain way. They strive to behave in a way that leads to their reward.

Secondly, one's intellect makes it obvious that some questions of life are difficult to answer. Man knows that some things in the world are undesirable. In order to feel well, he looks for reasons to believe that he will be alright. The religious community claims to know everything that man needs to know about the world and how he must behave in it. The community promises to bestow such knowledge upon the individual if and only if he behaves in a way community would like for him to behave.

Therefore, to answer all of your questions, people engage in the acts you have mentioned for two reasons. Because they see immediate gratification follow as an entailment of such acts (or the community rewards them for such behavior), secondly, it leads them to believe that doing as they do allows them to know exactly how they should live their lives.

This is the underlying rationale of a conventional person with regard to why he participates in religious activities. However, most people are not aware that this is what is driving them, as they simply do not reflect. However, if we were to explore their mindset thoroughly or challenge them to discover their true motivations, this is what we will have discovered.

Most people, however are not truly religious. They are simply doing as they are supposed to be doing because they do not know any better. People who do not think for themselves allow for their community to instruct them exactly how they should live their lives. Religious community provides exactly this service.
    I agree with you as usual bluewing. The fundamental problem, or contradiction shall I say, is that my religion teaches that people should not go to the mosque for anyone other than god. To do so, would be to associate others with the importance of god. The sad truth is that very few people go their solely for god, so from a purely religious scope, they are actually angering god by going. This then can fall into the realms of god being all merciful and stuff like that.

I will admit that even though for me, a big part of going is to please god, it is also for the social aspect of seeing my friends there. I always ask myself if I do go purely for god's pleasure and that seeing friends is an extra benifit that comes along with the package. Internally I hope that is the case, and many a times it is proven to me, because I do also chose to go when no one is there.

This part may sound crazy: I like to see myself as a logical person, and many a times I will start to question aspects of my faith (who am I kidding, all the time). What keeps me believing is the fact that whenever I stray away from god (as in the sins start to cometh-a-plenty) my life starts going down hill. Whenever I am on the right track, from a religious perspective, everything seems to start working out. It's probably pretty easy to argue that a placebo affect of me feeling good about being religious can be argued, and I am inclined to believe it. The thing is that this has happened to me all my life since I became aware of the world, and I am starting to really believe in a higher power affecting my life, rather than mere coincidence or mood enhancement affects.

It's just wierd to be more religious than the SJ's. The only thing that keeps me happy with myself as an ENFP is that I don't shove my beliefs down the throats of others, I only inform them if they ask. I am also proud that I, for the most part, do not judge others and convince myself how much better others are than me (it always keeps me working to better myself). This meshes really well with the whole NF thing.

Well I am going to go lay low for a little bit and watch the insults fly by.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Why attach "God" to everything that's good on earth? If I want to do things that help the community, give blood, donate food, plant trees... I'd like to leave God out of that. Helping people is a normal and human thing to do.
    You are welcome to leave God out. I really don't care what you do. This is what *I* do. And that's the question, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    No I don't believe that.
    That's cool. You do what you want. But my Kingdom of Heaven is here, and that's what I count on.

Edit: So what I should have said is...

I think that SOME PEOPLE CAN find God in each other. And then the community/devotion stuff.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

You are welcome to leave God out. I really don't care what you do. This is what *I* do. And that's the question, right?
    I guess I was more wondering what your personal reasoning is.. Most people I know who are of the more liberal or skeptical side of faith rarely attach God to anything other than spiritual/religious matters, you wouldn't know they were people of faith unless the topic came up.

MBTI
    ENFP

I also wanted to add that I have picked up most of my communitty service activities through my mosque. It's mainly because of how much my parents and they remind me that god orders us to love others if we are to love him. Soup kitchen, free tutoring, helping old people with shopping and other things, visiting sick people in the hospital and cheering them up with magic tricks and fun stuff. I get to do/organize many of the fun and helpful events with like minded people here, so I really do feel like I am giving back as a I should.

But just to reemphasize, I truly try to keep my intention in that of the service of god. It is hard, but the more you believe the easier it is to keep your intentions purely to the creator.