User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often you go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Few times a week

    4 5.88%
  • Once a week

    11 16.18%
  • Few times a month

    2 2.94%
  • Once a month

    1 1.47%
  • Few times a year

    8 11.76%
  • Major holidays only

    4 5.88%
  • Never

    26 38.24%
  • I will never go

    12 17.65%
First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 206

  1. #21
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    I don't go, but here's the reason lots of other people go: Guilt.

  2. #22
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I used to go once a day, Monday through Thursday, twice on Friday's, three times on Saturday, and on Sunday I/we would spend most of the morning and then come back for evening prayers.

    As to why: Because G-d said so, of course.
    Well there you go, you win the "Who's more devoted?" contest.

    Our congregation schedules them for "once a month" but I can't make it every time. I end up going about every other month (I put "a few times a year"). I prefer to do my religious/spiritual stuff by myself, on my own time. For me, if it is to mean anything at all, it must be personal.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  3. #23
    Rats off to ya! Mort Belfry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    If you only take methamphetamines once a week, then how can you say it's an addiction?
    I'm like a camel you see, I have a pouch that I fill up with a 20kg drug cocktail that sees me through to next pay.


    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Church doesn't fuck up your teeth or, for the most part, destroy your ability to function in society.

    Meth -1!!!
    Are you impugning my teeth and my functioning in society? How dare you?
    Why do we always come here?

    I guess we'll never know.

    It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

  4. #24
    Doesn't Read Your Posts Haight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    6,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Well there you go, you win the "Who's more devoted?" contest. .
    That was a long time ago.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

  5. #25
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    I don't go as often as I should, nor as much as I would like to - unfortunately.

    Why do I go? First and foremost, because of my geniune devotion and love for the Lord.

    I always insist on going to traditional Latin masses, or at the very least Latin Novous Ordo ones. Once you've been to one of these, there's no going back. I simply cannot stand the garbage that passes off as religious services in many churches.

    I appreciate the deep sense of ritual and aesthetics involved in more traditional services. It's unlike anything else you encounter in the world, it literally gives you a feeling I cannot fully explain - it's intoxicating. I'm reminded of what the Russian envoys reported when they attended a liturgical service in Constanipole, how they couldn't tell if they were still on earth or in heaven. It's the same feeling I get.

    Of course, as I've stated elsewhere, aesthetics without a geniune sense of faith is shallow and without meaning. So my own sense of faith is not based enxclusively on aesthetics. Aesthetics helps bring forth beauty to more appreciate the greatness of God.

    I already posted this video in my thread about the beauty of Catholicism, but I'll report here so others can see what it is that I apprecite:
    [youtube="SCot5L54-dE"]Beauty of Tradition[/youtube]

    And here's a wonderful video of a High Latin Mass celebrating the Feast of the Sacred Heart:
    [youtube=enWiFcsBqIE]Traditional Latin Mass: Feast of the Sacred Heart[/youtube]
    It's over an hour long though.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    What it represents to them.



    I know the answer but I want to hear it anyway because of the details.
    So the purpose of the question is vouyerism? What do you hope to gain by learning the details of individual beliefs (or non-beliefs)? Are you trying to adapt theirs' to yourself?
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

  7. #27
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    My mom goes mostly for the community aspect, and she has also told me she likes the weekly 'reminders' on what she should be focusing on, and she says it helps her keep things in perspective. But there's also the 'duty'/partnership aspect, as my father is much more devout in his churchgoing, so she feels a sense of obligation to go (although she doesn't word it that way -- I just know that she'd be quite happy not going every week like my dad chooses to do).

    My dad seems to be more devout, and more of a true believer, and seems to take it more seriously than my mom. However I still think there's a broader context for him, and I think he wants to 'do good', so he enjoys helping the church out with various things, and he volunteers once a week at a soup kitchen. These are more recent developments, though....he didn't used to to the volunteer thing.

    I haven't been to church for about 4-5 years now. I do not believe, have issues with the concept of religion as a whole, and even if I still believed somewhat, I'd think it was hypocritical on my part to go when I was mostly filled with doubts, and would think it was lame of me to go just for the community aspect -- because I think the matters religions are supposed to be addressing are far more important than using it as a social outlet to gab over donuts and coffee. I also have a 'problem' with the fact that the majority of churchgoers are 'clueless' or half-assed about what they're supposed to be there for. (but I also recognize that's me projecting my own needs/ideals onto everyone else, so take that with a grain of salt)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  8. #28
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I don't go, but here's a reason lots of other people go: Guilt.
    Corrected.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  9. #29
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Community and togetherness are certainly an important aspect of religious and spiritual life; were we connect with each other before God. But of course it's secondary to the geniune devotion to the Lord, which is the heart of any spiritual life.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    =I'd think it was hypocritical on my part to go when I was mostly filled with doubts,
    The reason I *can* go to church with my doubts and not feel hypocritical is that I have found a community where doubt is acceptable.

    and would think it was lame of me to go just for the community aspect -- because I think the matters religions are supposed to be addressing are far more important than using it as a social outlet to gab over donuts and coffee.
    I am absolutely not making the assertion that you should go to church for any reason, but I think that when people say "community" is an important reason that they go, often (not always) they're referring to something deeper than social hour with donuts. Community is probably my number one reason--but my sense of community is fostered by shared values and concerns, shared experiences, and the like. I participate in my spiritual communities usually by sharing my talents and working with youth--because I think that communities can be instrumental in producing well-rounded and thoughtful children. Community can--and should--be more than gabbing and gossip.

    I also have a 'problem' with the fact that the majority of churchgoers are 'clueless' or half-assed about what they're supposed to be there for. (but I also recognize that's me projecting my own needs/ideals onto everyone else, so take that with a grain of salt)
    I think that this is probably a reasonable thing to be frustrated with, though I would point out that you probably don't have access to all information and that lots of people have a variety of reasons, good and bad, for showing up.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Similar Threads

  1. [Te] Why people don't like to talk about Te ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 10-29-2016, 09:30 AM
  2. Why don't bees go to heaven?
    By Rasofy in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 01:52 AM
  3. should I go to church tonight or not?
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
  4. Those that go to church only on religious holidays
    By swordpath in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 04:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO