User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often you go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Few times a week

    4 5.88%
  • Once a week

    11 16.18%
  • Few times a month

    2 2.94%
  • Once a month

    1 1.47%
  • Few times a year

    8 11.76%
  • Major holidays only

    4 5.88%
  • Never

    26 38.24%
  • I will never go

    12 17.65%
First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 206

  1. #11
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Fundamental principle of psychology: All human activity is aimed at the end of generating positive sentiment.

    In short, people simply wish to feel well.

    Interacting with other people gives them direct affirmation. For example, they are rewarded by their community for behaving in a certain way. They strive to behave in a way that leads to their reward.

    Secondly, one's intellect makes it obvious that some questions of life are difficult to answer. Man knows that some things in the world are undesirable. In order to feel well, he looks for reasons to believe that he will be alright. The religious community claims to know everything that man needs to know about the world and how he must behave in it. The community promises to bestow such knowledge upon the individual if and only if he behaves in a way community would like for him to behave.

    Therefore, to answer all of your questions, people engage in the acts you have mentioned for two reasons. Because they see immediate gratification follow as an entailment of such acts (or the community rewards them for such behavior), secondly, it leads them to believe that doing as they do allows them to know exactly how they should live their lives.

    This is the underlying rationale of a conventional person with regard to why he participates in religious activities. However, most people are not aware that this is what is driving them, as they simply do not reflect. However, if we were to explore their mindset thoroughly or challenge them to discover their true motivations, this is what we will have discovered.

    Most people, however are not truly religious. They are simply doing as they are supposed to be doing because they do not know any better. People who do not think for themselves allow for their community to instruct them exactly how they should live their lives. Religious community provides exactly this service.
    I am aware of this and I agree with it.

    The level in which I am interested is personal level.

  2. #12
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    In that case take it as: I will never go willingly.


    This option is for people who are not passive about their atheism.
    Kay well I picked 'I will never go' cause it's true but I'm not an atheist, oh well.

  3. #13
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Kay well I picked 'I will never go' cause it's true but I'm not an atheist, oh well.
    I hope you understand that I would need 30 poll options if we want to be on this level.
    So I have desided to keep it simple.

  4. #14
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am aware of this and I agree with it.

    The level in which I am interested is personal level.
    Specify what you mean by 'personal level'.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  5. #15
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Specify what you mean by 'personal level'.
    What it represents to them.



    I know the answer but I want to hear it anyway because of the details.

  6. #16
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    I go to church weekly. The main reasons I go are:

    To discuss spiritual topics with other people.
    To worship.
    To see my friends.
    Overall it's a fun experience. It's usually the highlight of my week.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  7. #17
    Rats off to ya! Mort Belfry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    To discuss spiritual topics with other people.
    To worship.
    To see my friends.
    Overall it's a fun experience. It's usually the highlight of my week.
    That's interesting because everyone of those points is part of the cause of my methamphetamine addiction.
    Why do we always come here?

    I guess we'll never know.

    It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

  8. #18
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    That's interesting because everyone of those points is part of the cause of my methamphetamine addiction.
    If you only take methamphetamines once a week, then how can you say it's an addiction?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  9. #19
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    That's interesting because everyone of those points is part of the cause of my methamphetamine addiction.
    Church doesn't fuck up your teeth or, for the most part, destroy your ability to function in society.

    Meth -1!!!
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  10. #20
    Doesn't Read Your Posts Haight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    6,243

    Default

    I used to go once a day, Monday through Thursday, twice on Friday's, three times on Saturday, and on Sunday I/we would spend most of the morning and then come back for evening prayers.

    As to why: Because G-d said so, of course.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Similar Threads

  1. [Te] Why people don't like to talk about Te ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 10-29-2016, 09:30 AM
  2. Why don't bees go to heaven?
    By Rasofy in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 01:52 AM
  3. should I go to church tonight or not?
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
  4. Those that go to church only on religious holidays
    By swordpath in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 04:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO