User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often you go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Few times a week

4 5.88%
  • Once a week

11 16.18%
  • Few times a month

2 2.94%
  • Once a month

1 1.47%
  • Few times a year

8 11.76%
  • Major holidays only

4 5.88%
  • Never

26 38.24%
  • I will never go

12 17.65%
First 91718192021 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    What's all this I hear about "Hebrew School"? I got the impression it was pretty much mandatory for young Jews.
    Teaches how to say the prayers, not what they mean. At least, usually not word-for-word. Also the Hebrew School I went to focused mostly on the stories in the Old Testament, and what you're supposed to learn from them.

I'm not criticizing, it's just what Dissonance said: People are lazy, even Jews.

Peguy, yeah, same effect for Latin masses, etc.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-01-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Catholic mass
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    The audience (me) is not supposed to be funny.
    Well that's good to hear, since you're not very funny in the first place.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Teaches how to say the prayers, not what they mean. At least, usually not word-for-word. Also the Hebrew School I went to focused mostly on the stories in the Old Testament, and what you're supposed to learn from them.

I'm not criticizing, it's just what Dissonance said: People are lazy, even Jews.
    I didn't think you were! Thanks for answering. I had always assumed Hebrew school involved learning what the words mean.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Sniffles

I had always assumed Hebrew school involved learning what the words mean.
    School has never been about learning what words or anything for that matter really means. Hence why I'm thankful I never attended Catholic school, I might've actually lost my faith that way!

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I didn't think you were! Thanks for answering. I had always assumed Hebrew school involved learning what the words mean.
    The translation is there in the book! Of course they teach the general intent of each song.

Since I learned to say it in Hebrew while I was little, I didn't realize (being a kid and all) that I had no clue what the specific words meant. Growing up, I started to realize this and tried to correct it, quickly.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    Of course you wouldn't find me funny while I laugh at your expense ; )
    Actually I have the remarkable ability to laugh at myself and my faith. I laughed all the time at sassafrassquatch's anti-religious photoshops here.

So sorry to disappoint you, but the fact still remains that you're just not funny - and all your attempts at comedy are patheticly lame.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

What's all this I hear about "Hebrew School"? I got the impression it was pretty much mandatory for young Jews.

Edit: I think I just answered my own question, I went to edit and add "observant" in front of "Jews" and then I realized not all the people in synagogues on Saturdays are particularly observant.
    Hebrew School is kind of a joke, at least the ones I attended.

We certainly don't learn Hebrew fluently, that's for sure. After one semester in French in 7th grade, I knew French 10x better than I knew Hebrew, even after 7 years of Hebrew School.

It's basically a community thing. Once people buy into the community, they just spout all the nonsense the community takes for granted.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't currently attend church regularly. I have in the past. I have social anxiety or I'm getting cranky in my old age or something and can't find one I like. Still pray most days, but it's just informal prayer, mostly asking for God's help for friends and loved ones and sometimes myself. But that's normal for my religion, unless you're praying in tongues.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Cuz they like it, I suppose
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP

A lot of people are born into a religion that is chosen for them by their parents and some of them don't change that. They grow up with it and perhaps they like it, or it doesn't really bother them to want to change it. I know that, from being Roman Catholic, that going to church has a lot to do with community. I know very religious people who do extremely well academically, in the sciences, math, etc, but still have faith and believe in stories like the Virgin birth. It doesn't mean they are stupid people, only that questioning these things deeply isn't as important to them as other things. Where I live there aren't a lot of problems between people who have different religions. To each their own. I grew up praying everyday and attending masses at school and church, but I was never particularly religious. And now I wouldn't consider myself a practicing Catholic at all, but I have no resentment against how I was brought up and other people who do practice their religion. It's not particularly religion that I have a huge problem with because it's a cause of both good and bad things, but it's the people who use their religion for the wrong reasons that are the problem.