User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often you go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Few times a week

4 5.88%
  • Once a week

11 16.18%
  • Few times a month

2 2.94%
  • Once a month

1 1.47%
  • Few times a year

8 11.76%
  • Major holidays only

4 5.88%
  • Never

26 38.24%
  • I will never go

12 17.65%
First 71516171819 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    You would think that, sure, but a lot of people don't do it, don't approach things that way. My friends, for instance.
    What about you friends, for instance ?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    What about you friends, for instance ?
    Just like we said, that they don't try to convert me to Christianity.

These are the things they are juggling in their heads:
    1. Those who don't accept Christ as their savior will go to Hell. (the ones I know believe this, I'm not arguing whether it's the case)
    2. Friends should care about other friends' futures.
    3. Friends should respect other friends' decisions.

It's a delicate balance, and sometimes #3 dominates, like with my friends. Other friends may still pursue it, but not aggressively at all. They know when to back off and let another make their own judgments.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I live in a quite reserved society where all the believers don't believe atheists exist.
    So I just never mention my atheism except to my couple close friends, these are agnostic, no trouble.

I was only questioning the believers hypocrisy, if I see my friend stepping on a mine, I just wouldn't let him, respecting ones decision seems futile when it's about death, or spending eternity in hell.

I wouldn't want them to try converting me either, obviously. I just find it absurd either way.

Sniffles

I despise superstition.
    That's nice, so does the Church.

People who "go to church.synagogue,mosque...." are either very stupid uneducated fools, or people in pain/struggle/depression who need support that they cannot get from humans.
    Yeah yeah, just to let you know but repeating this tired old line Ad Nauseum doesn't make it so; nor for that matter even prove religious claims are actually false. As a person who claims to trump logic, you should know this.

The smarter you are, the higher education you get, the richer you become, the less likely you would seek to believe in a higher power. Because you would be able to fulfill your basic needs.

It's usually countries, infested by war, poverty, struggle, and illiteracy who have alarmingly high rates of religious people. These people need to believe in something else because their life is worthless, and that is hard to accept.
    Which in the end means that disbelief is as much depended on psychological and social factors as religious belief - which means you're full of it as much as any person who goes to church.

Atheism is as much a crutch as any religion, to give people the illusion of intellectual superiority over the "stupid masses". As the old Russian proverb states: He who boasts is most afraid.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Statistically, atheists are much smarter and have a much higher education than believers.

Fighting logic seems like a believer's characteristic. So keep it up.

Sniffles

Statistically, atheists are much smarter and have a much higher education than believers.
    Even if true, that still does not prove religion false. You're making an appeal to authority here.

Fighting logic seems like a believer's characteristic. So keep it up.
    That's funny, you're the one resorting to logical fallacies here, not me. And in any case, Logic is a whore!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I used to go to synagogue a bunch; I went to Jewish preschool and kindergarten, went to hebrew school, had a bar mitzvah, then continued Jewish education until I was 18.

But I fought it the whole time. The older I got, the more I hated it. The day after my bar mitzvah, I made up my mind that I would never participate in religious ceremonies again. I stopped saying prayers (even when literally every single other person in the service was -- something like 2499 out of 2500 people...)

My family friends' parents started getting angry at me because I would stand silently and watch them pray during religious holidays in which I was forced to attend. Bah. Anyway, once I turned 18, I stopped going to any service. I've been to services one or two times since, just by bad luck, and seriously, it is the weirdest experience...

It gives me the chills, to watch thousands of people reciting prayers that they know nothing about. It makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable -- all I keep thinking is...wow, the power of denial affects people so deeply! Religions are just cults, but larger.

Yeah, I'm never going back if I can help it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Why do you assume they know nothing about what they're saying?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Cause if they were aware of the monstrosities they were reciting, they would shut up.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Why do you assume they know nothing about what they're saying?
    Part of it's because it's in Hebrew. But he's assuming that they haven't bothered to look at the translation, too.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.