• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I feel uncomfortable praying in front of people.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
Yes, exactly. You got what I was talking about. :yes:

Those are all good thoughts. They align rather well with what I've come to think is right, myself. You've actually given me more ideas to contemplate. Thanks. :)

:hug: Thank you...

Usehername

On a mission
On my Christian gap year program, we were set into peer-mentoring groups (same gender, groups of 3 or 4).

As it happens, every single one of us was uncomfortable praying out loud. It was the only thing we could bond over as a group, lol. So while other groups all had at least one person who didn't hesitate to pray out loud for the group, it took us until the last two months or so to pray for each other.

I wanted to "gain this skill" not because I felt like less of a Christian keeping my prayers personal and quiet, but because at times I felt very blessed by others when someone prayed over me. I wanted to be able to execute that skill in times where others would benefit from me doing that for them.

It took some time, and it took some guts, but now I'm comfortable enough to do it in situations that are called for. It's sort of like public speaking in that I'm not totally comfortable doing it, but that doesn't mean I won't do it. I want to do it, and I can when I need to.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've never seen anybody praying aloud other than in church, and never been asked to pray aloud except at Bible study or maybe at another family's house been asked to give the blessing or some such. Where do people pray aloud other than in those circumstances?

I'm completely okay with people praying in those circumstances. I was just annoyed when people would do it at school before class started, or in the middle of a shopping place. They would always pray loudly, too, to make sure you heard them. They knew it was annoying, they just didn't care. If they'd just whispered it quickly or something, I'd also have been okay with it. But it was loud and drawn-out.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm completely okay with people praying in those circumstances. I was just annoyed when people would do it at school before class started, or in the middle of a shopping place. They would always pray loudly, too, to make sure you heard them. They knew it was annoying, they just didn't care. If they'd just whispered it quickly or something, I'd also have been okay with it. But it was loud and drawn-out.

In the middle of a shopping place? Really? That's fascinating! What on earth did they pray? "Please God, let the big bottle of Tide be on sale, in Jesus name, amen"

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
In the middle of a shopping place? Really? What on earth did they pray? "Please God, let the big bottle of Tide be on sale, in Jesus name, amen"

LOL. A few of them did, actually. Though that's the kind of thing that would make me laugh more than annoy me.

Most often, though, they would actually recite the entire Lord's prayer. It was weird, they'd just spontaneously do it. And it wasn't quiet, either. There were also a few examples of people praying for strength right after someone who was frustrating them walked off (or even while they were still standing there).

So, it was approximately:

20% prayers for cheaper prices or material gain.
30% prayers not to lose their temper
50% long, loud, prosaic recitations of the Lord's prayer

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
Wow that would make me feel uncomfortable seeing/hearing that. My mom is the type to pray before her meal, even if taken in public. She just bows her head and silently prays. Which also makes me feel odd.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know what I'd do if someone burst into the Lord's Prayer in front of me in a shopping place. Either join in or bite his head off, I guess, depending on the day.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
I sat there staring blankly trying not to look at the other patrons. It is just an odd situation.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL. A few of them did, actually. Though that's the kind of thing that would make me laugh more than annoy me.

Most often, though, they would actually recite the entire Lord's prayer. It was weird, they'd just spontaneously do it. And it wasn't quiet, either. There were also a few examples of people praying for strength right after someone who was frustrating them walked off (or even while they were still standing there).

So, it was approximately:

20% prayers for cheaper prices or material gain.
30% prayers not to lose their temper
50% long, loud, prosaic recitations of the Lord's prayer

What the hell is that?

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I've never seen anybody praying aloud other than in church, and never been asked to pray aloud except at Bible study or maybe at another family's house been asked to give the blessing or some such. Where do people pray aloud other than in those circumstances?

On the street corners of my small town. I kid you not. Preaching to the people who walked by.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I remember hearing from my pastor that there is a verse in the bible that essentially says that to God, a said verse is more real to him than a thought verse. This also fits with a verse that says that the hardest thing to control is one's will to speak (or not to speak) things. When someone overcomes this in the direction of the Lord, it is considered a better praise or prayer.

I have problems reading the bible is what I have... I need one for home and one for church so I never forget it. :doh:

I also find that people who pray eloquently sound similar to much of the folk poetry I read, such as the Kalevala or this book of Celtic poetry I have. I think it is an ability learned to make long prayers more bearable. My pastor has a story about his times learning to pray for a half hour every night. "God bless my uncle _____, and my aunt ______ and the pastor, and the neighbor down the street...."

Even if it's the trueness to your heart that matters, eloquence is still nicer to listen to. :cheese:

Mole

Permabanned
There are no atheists in fox-holes where feeling uncomfortable is the least of your problems.

But the nicest prayer is prayer shared by two people.

You ask you friend what would you like you to pray for. And you ask them to tell you something specific in time and place. And then of course you pray for it - again very specifically.

Then your friend asks you what would you like them to pray for. And you tell them something very specific. And they pray specifically just for that.

And you do this turn an turn about, say every third or fourth day.

This form of shared prayer has many advantages.

First it is reciprocal and equal.

And second it is specific and proceeds step by step.

But what God thinks of it, God only knows.

Mole

Permabanned
What do you mean by that?

It's a common saying, "There are no atheists in fox-holes".

And of course fox-holes are holes dug in the ground from which infantry fight.

And the saying means that when your life is threatened, it seems quite natural to pray.

F

FigerPuppet

And the saying means that when your life is threatened, it seems quite natural to pray.

What does that have to do with anything in this thread?
And it depends on the person whose life is threatened.

Mole

Permabanned
What does that have to do with anything in this thread?
And it depends on the person whose life is threatened.

Well, if your life is threatened, it is unlikely you will feel uncomfortable praying in front of people.

And yes, you are right - it depends upon the person.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I Can pray in front of other people if I believe it. I'm not comfortable praying in front of other people just because it seems the thing to do at the time. i.e. command preformance.

cheerful-pessimist

MBTI Type
ENtJ
Enneagram
8w4
If a certain way of praying makes you uncomfortable, than don't pray like that. I'm pretty sure that there's a passage in Matthew where Jesus says that you should pray privately. Then, you know that you're doing it for you and God and not to be seen by other people for reputation's sake. That's what I was reminded of when you mentioned people that "you can tell love God because of the way they pray." That shouldn't be how you gauge love for God anyways.